Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• wasting time

Quote Originally Posted by dsnylndmom
    EM you are the MSEP Guru, this isn't a LOL smilie, it's a bowing to you smilie
    This better ? :

Last edited by Pirate Wench; 04-26-2005 at 07:53 PM.

• D'LAND BIRTH YEAR BABY

My walt disney classics MSEP is my quick DL fix. I have all the pieces ( only series I own) including the musical flags. When I want my own parade I go into the library turn off the lights , turn on the figures , and the music and unstress. I have a lot of friends that go into the library for a parade fix .

• dreams do come true

I miss the Pinochio unit of the parade I was a P.I. boy in the farwell season at Disnyland and it was a blast. Its just sad to watch now and have my unit gone.

• Minion

ORDDU: My sisters and I well remember the RETURN TO OZ floats that were in the Main Street Electrical Parade. Back in 1985--the same year our OWN movie, THE BLACK CAULDRON came out--we saw the Electrical parade for the first time.

ORWEN: As I recall, the RETURN TO OZ unit featured a hall of mirrors, which was supposed to duplicate the evil Princess Mombi's collection of heads. You didn't see any 'heads' on the float--just the long hall of mirrors--where Dorothy skipped around with Billina under one arm. There were also figures of Tic Toc, the Tin Man, the scarecrow and Jack Pumpkinhead--along with other various citizens from Oz, who walked around on the floats.

ORDDU: Oddly enough, the RETURN TO OZ unit was quite popular with guests--even if the movie was not. Thus, when theme park management yanked the floats from the parade without much warning, many guests were confused and ended up at Guest Relations to inquire about the whole thing.

ORWEN: But even though the RETURN TO OZ unit was heavily requested, management decided they'd rather have guests forget about the movie, which seems to have vanished from most people's memory by now.

ORDDU: Very sad. Because there are still many OZ fans out there who would have liked their Oz float to have remained in the Electrical Parade. But, as an odd ending to the whole story, it was reported back in the early 90's that the RETURN TO OZ floats, what with all their mirrors, ended up causing a fire back stage, when the hot summer sun relfected too much heat from them. Thus the floats were totally burned up--taking with them a few floats from the ALICE IN WONDERLAND Christmas unit!!

• Greetings, Program!

Sigh.....the parade should never have left Disneyland. It's as much a fixture as the Matterhorn and the Castle are.
    "The old man's gonna knock on the sky. Listen to the sound."

AP'er since 2004. Yup.....I'm one of THEM.

OK here we go

1971 ELectrical Water Pageant opens @ WDW
    1972 Main Street Electrical Parade (first known as Main Street Electrical Pageant debuts @ Disneyland w/ same soundtrack as WDW's EWP & runs for 3 summers Blue Fairy leads parade & has been in 3-D form since day 1
    1977 following a 2 year hbiatus the Main Street Electrical Parade returns in the Summner of 1977 w/ an updated soundtrack by Don Dorsey (Cinderella,Dumbo's Circus,Small World underliners re-used from previous soundtrack). The parade also debuts @ Walt Disney World this same year During '77 & '78 the finale is the Disney Neon Finale w/ neon images of Disney characters
    1978 No changes to DL version. WDW drops Neon Finale & Pete's Dragon becomes temporary Finale there. Briny Deep becomes Pinnochio Underwater float @ both parks. WDW adds a float for Mickey's 50th b-day
    1979 To Honor America is introduced as the finale unit @ both DL & WDW (music usedfrom patriotic finale from '72 version)
    1980. Fox & The Hound unit added. DL adds a float for Disneyland's 25th Anniversary
    1982 Last SUMMER MSEP runs @ DL until '85
    1983 short Spring run @ DL Small World's last season in DL version
    1984 Parade runs @ WDW only
    1985 Parade returns to Disneyland w/ Peter Pan,Snow White,Pinnochio & Return to Oz units. WDW adds Pinnochio & half of the Snow White section (Diamond Mine only) & Return To Oz, Parade debuts in Tokyo Disneyland featuring a section of a mother swan & three baby swans unique to their version) It was also rumored that DL's Small World floats were shipped to Tokyo
    1986 WDW adds float for their 15th Anniversary removes Diamond Mine & Pleasure island Units
    1988 DL adds a Birthday Cake float for Mickey's 60th birthday
    1990 DL adds a float celebrating their 35th birthday
    1991 WDW bids MSEP farewell & introduces SpectroMagic as part of a Resort wide 20th Anniversary celebration. MSEP floats shipped to EuroDisney
    1992 Parade premeires @ EuroDisneyland (later Disneyland Paris)
    1995 Tokyo Disneyland says Sayonara to the "Tokyo Disneyland Electrical Parade to be replaced by Disney's Fantillusion (ITRUE FACT: Disneyland in CA actually built the Fantillusion floats
    1996 Disneyland holds "Farewell Season" fdor it's Main Street Electrical Parade" run extended to November do to popular demand
    1997 Swans from Tokyoi added to Disneyland Paris version
    1998 Parade runs as part of Hercules premeire in NYC
    1999 Diamond Mine & Pleasure Island from Disneyland added to DLP version, Parade returns to WDW to fill in for SpectroMagic for 2 years
    2001 Parade opens @ CA as Disney's Electrical Parade

Interesting note: BOTH Disney Neon Finale & Return To Oz used Neon elements,Both (DL versions) caught fire

• Banned User

LOL.. Neon floats caught on fire... they should have been mroe careful with the glass....
    (isn't neon gas flamable in the right amount??)

I still think they need to add a few flaots dipicting the 50th for this parade.... (steal them from another park... Isn't WDW's original one getting referbished right now before sent to somewhere else... I thought hong Kong was getting it..They could loose at least one float.. )

Nice detailed list...
    (WDW needed to referbish Spectromagic for 2 years.. wow.. i forgot how long that referbuishment was..)

Wonder will WDW ever add new floats to spectromagic.....

• Know More Than You Should

You can find a video of the DCA version at Visions Fantastic:

http://www.visionsfantastic.com/visi...ain/shows.html

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries
    I saw DL's version for the first time last weekend. It brought back snips and pieces from my WDW visit years ago. I LOVED it and took a roll of pictures that probably won't come out! But I don't care.
    Last edited by NeverNeverland; 04-08-2005 at 12:51 PM.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

Quote Originally Posted by figment1986
    LOL.. Neon floats caught on fire... they should have been mroe careful with the glass....
    (isn't neon gas flamable in the right amount??)

I still think they need to add a few flaots dipicting the 50th for this parade.... (steal them from another park... Isn't WDW's original one getting referbished right now before sent to somewhere else... I thought hong Kong was getting it..They could loose at least one float.. )

Nice detailed list...
    (WDW needed to referbish Spectromagic for 2 years.. wow.. i forgot how long that referbuishment was..)

Wonder will WDW ever add new floats to spectromagic.....
    Hong Kong is getting the WDW/DLP floats

• The answer is 42

Good golly EvilMinon, I'd have to say that is the best history of the MSEP I've ever seen. I remember the parade from the beginning and literally cried when it left the park. It pains me that it's across the esplanade now; however, I was thrilled to hear the soundtrack for the 50th fireworks though because it will always be DisneyLAND's Main Street Electrical Parade.
    Duct tape is like The Force. It has a dark side & a light side and it binds the Universe together.

• Be-Bop Bear

Avondale, AZ (but wishing I was in Anaheim...)
    Thanks EM. Great history.

I'd love for the PTB's to release a "Complete Main Street Electrical Parade" CD. The Fantasmic! release was close, but still missing several elements.

Updates to the MSEP have been presented to WDI, but they're apparently not interested. Too bad for them...
    "George Bush... is only for now."
    Avenue Q

Just because it's gone doesn't mean I changed my mind!

• Shubisha

So was there or was there not a wedding float that if some couple paid top dollar and had their wedding at the hotel they got to ride in during the electrical parade? I have the faintest memories of this actually happening but can't find any evidence for it.

Evil Minion is close but Disneydanny has got the story exactly right. With so many version of this fantastic parade is easy to see why a few of the facts may be a little distorted. In any case, it is nice to see that the parade still has so many fans regardless of the incarnation. Fantalusion, Spectromagic... call it what you will, they all have their roots in the original Main Street Electrical Parade. (A few new floats would be nice).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast