Page 1 of 17 123411 ... LastLast

• Former virgin

DL's camera rule....

I just read this on another site....

I had a shocking experience tonight. I have been an annual passholder at Disneyland for years. Our family goes to Disneyland at least once a month. On most of those occasions, as recently as last week, I brought my camera (Nikon D50 or D300). Everything was great until tonight. As I went through the security check I was told that there was a problem with my camera because it had a zoom lens. Apparently zoom lenses are no longer allowed in Disneyland Resort theme parks. After getting into California Adventure I asked about this new rule at Guest Services. Initially the folks in guest services did not know what I was talking about. They called security and were told that a new rule was initiated banning zoom lenses. However they could not tell me the difference between an acceptable camera and an unacceptable camera. The only explanation I received for the rule was that people were some how abusing the privilege of bringing in a camera. I was told I could comment on the policy to Guest Communications at 714-781-4669.

After getting home I looked on the Disney web site and found the following in a list of items that cannot be brought into the park.:

"Professional cameras and recording equipment. (Reporters must make prior arrangements with Disneyland® Resort Media Relations.) Folding tripod stands that can fit inside a standard backpack are permitted."

What a ridiculous rule. First, it makes no reference to zoom lenses. Even if it did it would be arbitrary because point and shoot cameras can have optical zooms of 10x or greater and they are not banned. Second, how do we know what a "professional camera" is? Some might think my D300 is a professional camera. My D50 certainly is not a professional camera. Do you think the average security person at Disneyland would know the difference? Anyway, cameras are not professional, people are.

Disney if you are listening, you are going to have some very unhappy people at your parks because of the over reaction of some suit who probably does not have a clue about photography.
    Tiki Room virgins are cool.

Re: DL's camera rule....

I think they are doing this in an effort to keep paparazzi from being able to take pictures of celebrities in the park but thats only a guess.

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

Pretty lame, if you ask me. Seriously, banning zoom lenses? WTF?
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

• =)

That's quite simply preposterous. No zoom lenses, eh? I suppose those wide-angle zooms are just too easily abused...a nice 300mm prime lens should be safe, though.

Now, if they were banning super-telephoto lenses, I could sorta almost understand that...kinda. Those are great for paparazzi-style shots and backstage photography and so forth...not to mention their huge sizes and price tags, for which Disney definitely wouldn't want to be liable...

But still. The equipment is just equipment. As the post you found stated, it's the photographer that's the professional, not the camera. And they totally have a right to limit professional photography within the parks. Just not the use of so-called professional equipment.

Anyway, thanks for bringing this to our attention. (It probably would have been good to include a link to the original post, though.)

• Curiouser

Wow, that's absolutely ridiculous. I used my 'professional' camera at DL back in March, so it must be new...

• Former virgin

sorry about that! I don't know how to be all fancy like datameister but here's the original link...
    Last edited by SummerInFL; 10-01-2008 at 06:57 AM. Reason: Removed link to other site with message board per site policy
    Tiki Room virgins are cool.

• Nill

Wow, I just got my Olympus E-520 today too.....in fact I'm unpacking it as I write this.

I've got a 14-42mm lens and a 40-150.......although the 150mm is rather small looking, and its not like 150mm is crazy telephoto.

And yeah, they should say telephoto lenses.......a zoom lens is anything with an adjustable focal point.....

• Proud "Dis-nerd"

Note a Nikon D300 is a professional grade camera. It will set you back over $2,000. Mine wasn't cheap but no where near professional grade, I've got a Canon EOS Rebel XTI. They must be looking out for paparazzi type cameras. No way it's just "zoom" lenses, even the cheapest digital camera has a "zoom" lens these days.

If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/blendywee

• =)

Quote Originally Posted by wbarley View Post
    Note a Nikon D300 is a professional grade camera. It will set you back over $2,000. Mine wasn't cheap but no where near professional grade, I've got a Canon EOS Rebel XTI. They must be looking out for paparazzi type cameras. No way it's just "zoom" lenses, even the cheapest digital camera has a "zoom" lens these days.
    Well, I wouldn't call the Digital Rebel XTi "nowhere near professional grade." It lacks some of the cosmetic features, physical durability, and very high resolutions of the hardcore professional cameras, but it's certainly possible to achieve the level of work with it that Disney would most likely refer to as "professional." As I'm sure you're aware, a good eye and some high-quality lenses can produce amazing results with the XTi. (I speak more from experience with others' photos, not my own. )

• Senior Minion

Oh, please. The 12.3 megapixel D300 is NOT a "professional grade" camera. My 12.8mp Canon 5D/24-105L zoom is NOT a "professional grade" camera. Disney is banning high end consumer (a.k.a. "prosumer") cameras because optics, sensors, post software and printers have advanced to the point where skilled amateurs have the ability to produce great looking images of Disney copyrighted product, and some legal jerk at TDA has his control freak panties in a bunch. Guess what, the Canon 5DII is shipping next month -- a full frame DSLR, 21mp, live view LCD, mirror lockup, 50-25600 ISO and HD quality video for $2600 -- $500 less than the original 5D when it was introduced 3 years ago! Moore's Law, anyone? Another half-dozen years and sub-$500 cameras will, if properly handled, be able to produce professional-looking results. What're Disney's dopes gonna do then, ban all digital cameras? Gimme a break.

=P
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 09-29-2008 at 07:34 PM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Im thinking that it might another "uber" bag check cast member. Wasnt there a thread a while ago about someone getting questioned about taking photos of the monorail track?

No one i know has heard about this new rule. Im thinking the cast member took "super telephoto zoom" to a bit of an extreme and took it as "any zoom".

If this rule is true perhaps it is a security reason? Or maybe too many pictures from behind construction walls have been surfacing? Im thinking it was a misunderstanding. If Guest Relations knows nothing of it I wouldnt worry about it.

• Proud "Dis-nerd"

Talking Re: DL's camera rule....

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    Well, I wouldn't call the Digital Rebel XTi "nowhere near professional grade." It lacks some of the cosmetic features, physical durability, and very high resolutions of the hardcore professional cameras, but it's certainly possible to achieve the level of work with it that Disney would most likely refer to as "professional." As I'm sure you're aware, a good eye and some high-quality lenses can produce amazing results with the XTi. (I speak more from experience with others' photos, not my own. )
    Well said, I shall rephrase that...The Rebel XTi is nowhere near professional grade...Price. While some may dispute whether the D300 is professional grade, it's certainly getting into that price range. But of course, price isn't everything. I've owned a multitude of cameras at all different price points. In fact, I was very fond of my old Yashica twin lens reflex, took wonderful photos, but alas, not practical to use anymore. Sorry, I'm a total camera geek and could go on for ages about cameras, film vs digital, etc.

If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/blendywee

• Animatronic

Oh no! My cell phone has a 2-megapixel camera with digital zoom!!! Is that banned because I sure like having my cellphone with me!
    it's a sale of candy and a sale of plush, it's a sale of toys and disney stuff
    there's so much that we sell, that it's time we tell, it's a plush plush sale!

• I put the FUN in Funerals

I've been bringing in my Nikon D200 into the park for as long as the model has been around. I *usually* bring in my 18-200 *and* my 17-55 (for night time stuff). So - when the 18-200 is fully retracted, it *looks* like my 17-55. You telephoto it out, and it almost doubles in length. Who would know???

I've also brought in my 70-200 telephoto (which is long and heavy), but the 17-55 was mounted on the camera. The telephoto was tucked into my wife's backpack. Never been stopped.

As far as I know, the only folks who get their knickers in a bunch is the bag check folks. Once inside the park, I've not been bugged. (And I do respect other guests and make sure I'm not knocking any noggins or staking out a spot in the middle of the street.)
    A signature line this small can't open it's own jumpgate.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Ms.Skellington View Post
    What a ridiculous rule. First, it makes no reference to zoom lenses. Even if it did it would be arbitrary because point and shoot cameras can have optical zooms of 10x or greater and they are not banned. Second, how do we know what a "professional camera" is? Some might think my D300 is a professional camera. My D50 certainly is not a professional camera. Do you think the average security person at Disneyland would know the difference? Anyway, cameras are not professional, people are.
    Bingo. So my 24/105 zoom on my 5D is verboten, but a handful of primes in my bag from 24mm to 100mm is ok? What kind of numbskull nonsense is that? TDA should sic their legal dummies on their dog-bite lawsuit, and leave us Sunday shooters alone.

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Page 1 of 17 123411 ... LastLast