Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Minion

I love Fantasmic, but it does seem to be "off" when Things are missing. I wish they would bring back the Usula float.and the Pinocchio Puppets, I'm sure, will be back.

• Defeats the Huns

Quote Originally Posted by TweedlDum9
    Suffice it to say that the Pinocchio Puppets were definitely not taken out on purpose.
    Could you elaborate a little more, please? I want to knwo what happened to them. The show was REALLY lacking during that part. When Ursula left, there were still the movies on the mist screens so that you can still be watchinig something. For the Pinnochio part, it's just dancing waters.... and VERY boring.

As for the alternate ending on Tom Sawyer Island, I've seen it when they FIRST had to do that and they only had about 5-10 characters up there doing the choreography but not really moving anywhere. I saw it last week, and it's MUCH better - so be happy! They are doing more staging with the characters and more characters came out than before. I think it worked fine -- of course would MUCH rather have the Mark Twain version though. But it's good that the Mark Twain is getting its refurb done!

The Mark Twain is down Again? geesh it just came back 3 months ago from repainting.. Better check the referb board next time. Sorry Matt! You didnt even know last night what was going on.. geesh! Pinocchio is unactive because the cable that lifts the towers for the "strings" that connects to the counterweight snapped and wont be able to get repaired in a hurry. Thats what Technical staff said to me.
    Current DL Entertainment Technical Services

Former DCA Attractions CM

• Senior Minion

On one of my trips last year one of the CM'S said that Fantasmic wasn't supposed to run past 5 years? Is this true?
    I had asked him/her about why things had changed. It has to be because of time of year.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• Still wants to be a cat!

Have only seen Fantasmic once, squished in the smoking area. Would really like to see it better, heard the only way is with the Dessert Buffet.....any suggestions?
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

• Defeats the Huns

I would say the ONLY place anyone should ever watch Fantasmic is front and center (not the reservation section). Of course, getting front and center (straight in front of the Pirates entrance.. and a little to the left) is VERY hard and requires that you sit hours before showtime or careful maneuvering through the crowds after the first show. But sitting there is the BEST possible place.

As for why it ran more than 5 years -- CUZ IT'S AN AWESOME SHOW! haha. That's my guess for them not changing it either (as someone had asked about before). The current show WORKS and still brings in packed crowds even on off-season nights. There's just no other show like it (except for WDW's version, but theirs is seriously lacking...)! I really hope they never make too many changes to it and that it continues on for a long time.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralShang
    I would say the ONLY place anyone should ever watch Fantasmic is front and center (not the reservation section). Of course, getting front and center (straight in front of the Pirates entrance.. and a little to the left) is VERY hard and requires that you sit hours before showtime or careful maneuvering through the crowds after the first show. But sitting there is the BEST possible place.

As for why it ran more than 5 years -- CUZ IT'S AN AWESOME SHOW! haha. That's my guess for them not changing it either (as someone had asked about before). The current show WORKS and still brings in packed crowds even on off-season nights. There's just no other show like it (except for WDW's version, but theirs is seriously lacking...)! I really hope they never make too many changes to it and that it continues on for a long time.
    I'm Well aware the show is Great!! He was saying the lack of effects was the reason that the show was being considered for shutdown, and they were cooking up something else.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by TicTocDragon
    I'm Well aware the show is Great!! He was saying the lack of effects was the reason that the show was being considered for shutdown, and they were cooking up something else.
    In my opinion it needs to go down for a year and update all the effects and sets. I think the show could be so much more if they would replace the stuff that broke with even better stuff. Fantasmic I hate to say it is starting to show its age but could be fixed easily with a little cash.

• Banned User

They could run the current show... then get "New" things and take it down for one month while chaging out the things.... (not ths show scenes just items....)

I wish WDW's could have some new things... like instead of phocohauntus have something else.... (did you know.. some of the WDW thigns were going to go into DL's when they originally planned to change out some of the scenes..... They could still do that with some of the things....)

• A Little Rabid

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralShang
    One can only manage to sit there IF and ONLY IF our infamous grey tarp fans aren't situated there already. They take up the whole area as is and do stick around for the second show most of the times. If so, then tough luck.

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits
    To respond to General Shang a few posts back:

The Pinocchio puppets broke a few weeks ago as they were being retracted at the end of their segment. A CM posting on another message board was working the first show of the night and reported he heard a very loud "Twang!-Crash!!!" after the lights went off, and 'Pinocchio & the Girls' never showed up for the second show. Later reports said a suspension cable snapped and the puppets were damaged as they folded up and/or fell into their (very deep) hidey-hole under the stage.

Based on my educated guess as to how the puppets were built (1/8" to 1/4" sheet steel hung from wire rope and the hydraulic boom risers, with more wire rope & eyelets for the hinge points), it would take them some serious working time just to extract the pieces from the hole without doing any more damage to them - they might have to cut the cables and extract them one piece at a time, like Pickup Sticks. Or Jenga - one false move and it gets wrecked worse.

Then they have to straighten or weld whatever was bent or broken, restring all the steel-rope suspension and operating cables (the ones that create the movement once they are "on"), and then repaint them with Day-Glo fluorescent paint. A good 40 to 80 man-hours of repair work and painting if it was a simple break, hundreds if it's all messed up.

The Island Ending is used when the Mark Twain is down. If something breaks during the show where the Twain can't be used, they can abort the Twain ending and go to the Island Ending, but that would explain why they didn't have too many characters on the island as it was a last-second change.

I'm also told the same problem can happen (sparse character turnout for the Twain finale) if there's a problem on the Columbia during or after it's segment, as most of those actors do a quick costume change to be on the Twain.

Now if we can only get them to fix Pinnochio and rebuild the Ursula float in time for the 50th... (Yeah, Right, Suuuuure. Am I leaving any other needed props/effects repairs off the list?)

They might even manage to come up with something new, like a giant cold-air Monstro float going stage right to left during the film footage (avoiding the fountain tail-splashes) just before the Columbia/Peter Pan segment...

--<< Bruce >>--

the puppets are just on regular plywood stock- they were wrapped up in clear plastic for a week outside the entertainment rehearsal halls in A and B sets...i assume they've been sent to the staff shop for sme touch-up maintenance while the mechanisms for their raising and lowering are inoperable.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12