Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Can the GRR rafts tip over?

I was just wondering if the GRR raafts are capable of tiping over because I was reading about rides with a higher chance of accident and GRR wasnt on there and I just wondered if it was possible for these to tip over.

• white and nerdy

Re: Can the GRR rafts tip over?

I really doubt it. The raft is so wide and the river is so shallow....

I just did a check and couldn't find any counts of any raft-type ride tipping over anywere... I found one or two cases of people jumping out, but nothing tipping over. If you can stand to get soaked, I reckon you are safe.
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DCADude
    I was just wondering if the GRR raafts are capable of tiping over because I was reading about rides with a higher chance of accident and GRR wasnt on there and I just wondered if it was possible for these to tip over.
    I wouldn't think so, but if you tell some teens it won't they will be heck bent on trying to get it to. But, from looking at it, I wouldn't think so, plus, I dont think the track is deep enough to let it.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

• Minion

Of course they could!

But you'd need a lot more water than what is currently in GRR.

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

and alot more people on the one side of the raft then the other side!

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

• Shubisha

And I'm sure there's a pretty good weight center as it is and they've put some engineering thought into how to keep that from happening :P

Actually there is an account of one of these raft rides tipping over. The rapids in this rides are often created be the shape of the bottom of the trough or by affixing things like pvc pipe to the bottom. In this particular incident either the water level was too low or the boat had too much weight and the front of the raft hit one of these pvc pipe obstructions on the bottom of the trough. the water pressure built up behind the raft and flipped it over. I believe this incident would have been in 2001. I worked at a Six Flags at the time and our raft ride was closed and inspected to ensure that we did not encounter then same problem.

Cris

• Like a blade youll stain

7 hours away from the happiest place on earth....

Actually it cannot tip over..None of you may know this but there are tracks throughout the whole ride hooked onto your raft the track holds it making it not tip over..
    She's cold and she's cruel
    But she knows what she's doin'
    She pushed me in the pool
    At our last school reunion
    She laughs at my dreams
    But I dream about her laughter
    Strange as it seems
    She's the one I'm after
    Cause she's bittersweet
    She knocks me off of my feet
    And I can't help myself
    I don't want anyone else
    She's a mystery
    She's too much for me
    But I keep comin' back for more
    She's just the girl I'm lookin' for

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Crispy
    Actually there is an account of one of these raft rides tipping over. The rapids in this rides are often created be the shape of the bottom of the trough or by affixing things like pvc pipe to the bottom. In this particular incident either the water level was too low or the boat had too much weight and the front of the raft hit one of these pvc pipe obstructions on the bottom of the trough. the water pressure built up behind the raft and flipped it over. I believe this incident would have been in 2001. I worked at a Six Flags at the time and our raft ride was closed and inspected to ensure that we did not encounter then same problem.

Cris
    I believe it was Busch Gardens Williamsburg where it happened. Luckily, no one died.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

Quote Originally Posted by 3cheers4sweetrevng
    Actually it cannot tip over..None of you may know this but there are tracks throughout the whole ride hooked onto your raft the track holds it making it not tip over..

I could have guessed. isnt there tracks for the canoes in DL too?

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • .-- . .-.. -.-. --- -- .

I don't think that GRR has a track, due to pure physics of the size of the raft, how it moves, weight, peaks of the waves, etc. won't allow for the raft to capsize. As for the canoes at DL, everything I have heard is they are not on tracks otherwise both CM would propel them instead of one steering (in the back) and the other rowing.

The beauty of Disney and the magic is that not everything is on a track and left up to machines. The Cast Members are left to be the judge of your experience. Ask a River Raft pilot about it sometime, that is a great skill in my opinion.

DLandFansAZ

Quote Originally Posted by DCADude
    I could have guessed. isnt there tracks for the canoes in DL too?
    Stalking is when two people go for a long romantic walk together but only one of them knows about it.

• Don't hate the game...

omgosh imagine how scary it would be if it did!

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

There were accidents in a Texas Six Flags and I think a Busch park around the same time of each other in 1999, so it can happen on these rides, I remember it was not too long after Kali River opened in AK that they had the tip overs, and soon after Disney took the damaged capsized raft prop out of Kali River.

There was a fatal accident and Knott's Berry farm which the raft flipped and 1 girl died
    pshhh i guess

• Iron-Clad Allie

Niether the GRR rafts or the DL's canoes are on a track. During the first few months of operation, I remember there being an incident where everyone on one of the Grizzly rafts got drenched. But, the raft didn't even come close to capsizing. Each "victem" was treated to a free clothing shopping spree. Some of them, told Disney to stick it, and left the park while furious. Stupid people. I'd give anything for my raft to undergo a minor malfunction for a reward like that!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast