Thread: WDI info?

• Done waiting!!

Question WDI info?

I couldn't make up my mind which forum to post this question so I figured I'd start here and see where it takes me. I've heard of numerous people on Micechat who have toured the WDI offices in Glendale and I MUST do this myself! However I can't even find WDI's official webpage. Do you have to know somebody who knows somebody who knows somebody to get in there or is it just a matter of scheduling a tour? Thanks for your help!
    I'm literally a born Disney fan! I was born at Providence St. Joseph Med Center right across the street from Disney Studios in Burbank. The same hospital where Walt died.

By the way my shirt in the pic says "I like big sharks and I cannot lie"

•   
    • Dept. 41 and Club 55

Re: WDI info?

You can do it on the Backstage Magic tour. You get to see a very limited part of the WDI building. It costs $2500 a person I belive. You can read more here..

Disney Adventures Tours : Backstage Magic

• =)

There's also an official Imagineering class offered exclusively to undergrad and grad students at UCLA. (Its designation is Theater C146A and B, or C446A and B for grad students.) The second, more exclusive term includes a free tour of WDI and the chance to present group projects there. ("Free" meaning that all you have to pay is tuition at a University of California... ) You don't go through the whole building - it's huge! - but you do see a sizable chunk of it, and there's a good chance of seeing bits of works in progress in adjacent rooms. Of course, you can't tell anyone about what you see or take photos of anything due to the nondisclosure agreement you sign, but at least you have the knowledge inside your mind.
    Last edited by Datameister; 10-04-2008 at 08:17 AM.

• I'm not really here

Data... that is my current plan... well, for the future anyway Ever since you first mentioned you were taking that class.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• =)

Go for it! It's easily the most amazing class...ever. In the world, really. Sure, there's always room for improvement, but I can hardly complain. If it works out, I'll gladly take it again.

• I'm not really here

Right now, the number one problem standing in the way of my taking it is the fact that it is located in California and I am located in Utah. Other than this minor hurdle, I'm good to go for it and am nearly as bursting with ideas and energy as Blackbeard's treasure hold.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

I went to WDI last week for the first time. I work in security for the Walt Disney Co. I was never given a tour of WDI. So last week a fellow officer showed me around the model shop. It was amazing. To see all the stuff they are working on for DCA was incredible. Being a Disney fan and being able to see all that I do, it is awesome.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Super Duper!

And so totally not fair!!!

What I wouldn't give to be able to go into WDI. Ugh.

• is enjoying a ukulele.

Ohmigod. Really? An official IMAGINEERING class? :moves to LA:

• =)

Do it.

• "I Break Things"

Yes official WDI Class is being held at UCLA, only drawback is that it is UCLA, but for that class I would likely attend!

As to touring WDI, I've been up there a handful of times but I was more interested in Archives. I really really wish they would make Archives public and prominently display a lot of what is in there. Think of it as Disney's Smithsonian!
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• =)

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    Yes official WDI Class is being held at UCLA, only drawback is that it is UCLA, but for that class I would likely attend!
    Cry me a river I haven't seen, swum, dammed, and drained before, techskip.

As to touring WDI, I've been up there a handful of times but I was more interested in Archives. I really really wish they would make Archives public and prominently display a lot of what is in there. Think of it as Disney's Smithsonian!
    I would be SO unimaginably happy if the archives became public. Haven't been there, myself, but I know I'd totally geek out. Hopefully learn a lot, too.