Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Mischievous Mouse

Lining up at the entrance gates

So when we go, we get in line at the gates about 45 minutes before the park opens, we wind up about 40 feet from the gates on average. That's about an average to high average ride wait time when we go to the parks, so it just about right.

I've often wondered, how long would people wait? How early do those folks up at the very front get here? How many people are content with sleeping in and getting there an hour after they open, still pretty light crowds, but how you be from out of town and not be up at six and ready to go in at 7:15? That's what I don't understand.

"We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together."

-Walt Disney

• Keepin' it calsteady

Re: Lining up at the entrance gates

The past few times I've gone, we've arrived at the parking lot around 8:30 when the park opened at 8 a.m. We'd get into the park around 9 and find it deserted (no lines for HM, Pirates or Jungle Cruise) until at least 10 a.m., so I wouldn't go any earlier.

I guess you could choose either Peter Pan or Nemo to go on first without a line, but I'd rather sleep.

• See Ya Real Soon!

All depends on your touring style. Some people are get there early and do as much as you can. Others are more laid back and sleep in on their vacation, get there enjoy the time they have and that is that.

Personally my family and I are ALWAYS at the gates by 7:15. The first 2-3 hours in the park is the most productive and fun time that we have. OF course we are skewed by the fact that we live in Nor-Cal and as such want to make the most out of our 1-2 trips per year to the park.

As for the getting ready on time we usually tag team. Or should I say that I normally leave at 7 with my oldest daughter and my wife, youngest daughter and Grandma come out by 7:45.

The thing that I never get used to is that people line up single file for the double gates that have two entrances and then collapse in later when people realize that the there are two...

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Super Duper!

If you head towards the gates that are closer to Harbor Blvd., there are usually less people. I tend to get there around 7:20-7:30, and quite often am only 10 feet from the gates.

Also, the CMs don't let people line up at both gates too early. They will tell you that there is only one line, but once it gets closer to opening (maybe 15-20 minutes before), they'll start splitting the lines. I don't know why, but this is what always happens each time I go.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

Two weeks prior to arriving in Anahiem, we practice here and start waking up an hour earlier, so our bio-clocks are prepped for arrival. Then, we check for early entry--subtract one hour (that's when we arrive) and then subtract another hour of prep time. That gives us our 'wake-up' time.

It also gives us the reason why people refer to me as anal-retentive.

But it works. The last five times I've been to Disneyland, we've consistently been the first people on Main Street.

Besides, I'm so keyed up, I can't sleep as it is. My partner makes me tylenol PM to make sure I at least close my eyes for an hour or two.

When we hit Florida, however, this plan doesn't work. They let us in. They move us to the rope. We wait further. THey move us slightly. We wait further.

Poopieheads.

Peace!
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• Minion

I was there at 6AM last Saturday, and 5AM June 22nd.

• Disney Geek

When I visit DLR it is usually a week at a time since I live so far away. I want to spend as much time in the park as possible. So I line up to get in in the morning and I am there when the park closes.

Quote Originally Posted by dland_lover View Post
    Also, the CMs don't let people line up at both gates too early. They will tell you that there is only one line, but once it gets closer to opening (maybe 15-20 minutes before), they'll start splitting the lines.
    Well at least now I know. When I have gotten there at 7:15 I am usually back at the monorail pillars so I do not get to hear the interaction with the CMs that leads to the inevitable line shuffle. I wish I could go more int eh off season but to make it worthwhile requires us to stay a few days which means we go when the kids are not in school...

• Banned User

I try to (unless there are traffic hurdles((accidents, maintenance, people driving SLOWER THAN THEY ACTUALLY SHOULD BE DRIVING , etc))) get there as early as possible, so that(unless i am there on a blockout day, then I need to get out of line and get a blockout ticket) there is less of a line to wait in.

however, I live in Ridgecrest, so to reach such a goal I have to get up kinda early to do so(3 hr drive).

When I visited Disneyland last month, I arrived 5 minutes after the gates opened.

But when I go to Tokyo Disney Land/Sea, it`s about 4-5 hours before the park opens.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by hawachan View Post
    When I visited Disneyland last month, I arrived 5 minutes after the gates opened.

But when I go to Tokyo Disney Land/Sea, it`s about 4-5 hours before the park opens.
    I havent been to the tokyo disneyland yet, but I hear that its a fun place.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Super Duper!

Quote Originally Posted by hawachan View Post
    4-5 hours before the park opens.
    The horror!!

You must have to get to bed waaayyyy early the night before.

So Speaking of lining up at the gates, I never had the energy to get up early enough to make the drive up from San Diego in time to be in line before the parks open. But since I saw Roseanne where they do the rope lowering ceremony that is the one thing I have wanted to do and not done. Since I recently moved up to Huntington Beach I decided I would see if it exists at Disneyland, since Roseanne was in florida, and low and behold it does. or did.... when I get up, hella early mind you, all I got to do was stand at the gate till opening. Does anyone know if this is something they just do during peak times? or maybe the opposite? or can some one just give me a date and time to show up to see this?

• Who's your DaddyB?

Be aware that many times Disney ends up opening every other turnstile when they first open the gates, to get the flood of people in. If you arrive and there is a line of people at 5 or 6 of the gates, have someone in your party go up and ask a castmember behind the fence if they'll be opening all the gates... or just take a chance. Especially on weekends, your chances are extremely good that every other gate will be opening (notice they're numbered above the entrance.)

I don't know how many times I've arrived 15 minutes before the gates open to find that I can snag a front of the gate spot... and how many people don't beleive me when I try to wave them in, until the castmember comes out and turns the "exit" to "entrance".

If you like, keep several of your party in one line while you camp out at a different gate... just in case.
    ---------------------------------------------

a walk around the park... Star Tours, Nemo, Fantasyland, Frontierland, DCA... and more!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast