View Poll Results: Are you Dissapointed that they removed the Rainforest show scene.

Voters
210. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I am dissapointed.

128 60.95%
  • No, I am not dissapointed.

82 39.05%
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

• =)

Re: Memories of the original Small World. R.I.P Small World Rainforest.

Quote Originally Posted by Walt Jr. View Post
    I am totally pissed, disgusted, and furious at Disneyland.
    Careful with your wording...the park is amazing! It's the company that's entrusted with it that's the problem, as you well know.

I will say it again.

The rainforest, New Guinea drummers, and some long-lost friends from the Polynesian scene will all be around for a long time, including in Holiday.

Firsthand.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
    I will say it again.

The rainforest, New Guinea drummers, and some long-lost friends from the Polynesian scene will all be around for a long time, including in Holiday.

Firsthand.
    While I would love to believe you and hope that you are right, I have my doubts. Sorry, until I see proof that it still exists I will believe Al's sources. He has many and has a pretty good track record.

• Done waiting!!

Everyone said the sky was falling when they closed the clock shop and its replacement turned out to be pretty good. So I'm gonna wait and see...
    I'm literally a born Disney fan! I was born at Providence St. Joseph Med Center right across the street from Disney Studios in Burbank. The same hospital where Walt died.

By the way my shirt in the pic says "I like big sharks and I cannot lie"

Honestly, I'd like to see the changes before I pass judgment on the whole thing... but I think that, especially with the current financial downturn, Disneyland is going to have to continue to "plus" their current attractions to keep things fresh and the locals in the parks.

OT: How come when discussing POTC and IASW there is such disdain for the recent changes, but the constant "plussing" of the Haunted Mansion doesn't bother people so much?

• Keepin' it calsteady

I think IASW's and Pirates' changes are seen as selling out. Haunted Mansion's changes have been consistent with the original vision of the ride.

• =)

Quote Originally Posted by phil View Post
    How come when discussing POTC and IASW there is such disdain for the recent changes, but the constant "plussing" of the Haunted Mansion doesn't bother people so much?
    They're entirely different beasts. With POTC, you've got a franchise inspired by the attraction. That franchise becomes wildly popular, initially for good reason. Nothing wrong so far, right? But then Disney makes the assumption that while the ride is good enough to inspire the movies, it's not good enough to stand on its own (as it has for forty years). It needs a more direct connection to the movies. So they inject well-done but ultimately unnecessary animatronics into the attraction, including one that fundamentally disrupts the meaning of the attraction. Dialogue is changed in several places, making it impossible to ride through without hearing the names "Captain Jack Sparrow" and "Davy Jones" over and over and over again. Tacky. Then new music is added where it's not needed, most of which is nice on its own but none of which fits in the tone of the attraction. As consolation, we're given a few upgraded effects that improve the experience.

IASW...well, we still haven't seen it in person, but there's no doubt that Disney characters are outside the message that the attraction originally put forth. Just how much that bothers us varies, but I can understand people being annoyed by this change that certainly isn't needed and certainly doesn't enhance the original intent of the attraction.

But HM? Nothing explicitly and exclusively from the movie made it into the attraction, which is nice. The updated attic shows lots of original thought, though some of us aren't so sure it matches the feel of the attraction. Madame Leota usually floats, which is cool when it works and cool when it doesn't. Not much else has changed. Just minor improvements to the show. Which is exactly what's needed, since the attraction works very well as it is.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Change should not happen just for change's sake. Change is perfectly justified when it produces improvements in the quality or safety of the experience. (Or increases Disney's profit without negatively impacting the experience.) It should not happen outside of those circumstances.

• Keepin' it calsteady

Hey, that's what I said! You just used a lot more words!

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    They're entirely different beasts. With POTC, you've got a franchise inspired by the attraction. That franchise becomes wildly popular, initially for good reason. Nothing wrong so far, right? But then Disney makes the assumption that while the ride is good enough to inspire the movies, it's not good enough to stand on its own (as it has for forty years). It needs a more direct connection to the movies. So they inject well-done but ultimately unnecessary animatronics into the attraction, including one that fundamentally disrupts the meaning of the attraction. Dialogue is changed in several places, making it impossible to ride through without hearing the names "Captain Jack Sparrow" and "Davy Jones" over and over and over again. Tacky. Then new music is added where it's not needed, most of which is nice on its own but none of which fits in the tone of the attraction. As consolation, we're given a few upgraded effects that improve the experience.

IASW...well, we still haven't seen it in person, but there's no doubt that Disney characters are outside the message that the attraction originally put forth. Just how much that bothers us varies, but I can understand people being annoyed by this change that certainly isn't needed and certainly doesn't enhance the original intent of the attraction.

But HM? Nothing explicitly and exclusively from the movie made it into the attraction, which is nice. The updated attic shows lots of original thought, though some of us aren't so sure it matches the feel of the attraction. Madame Leota usually floats, which is cool when it works and cool when it doesn't. Not much else has changed. Just minor improvements to the show. Which is exactly what's needed, since the attraction works very well as it is.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Change should not happen just for change's sake. Change is perfectly justified when it produces improvements in the quality or safety of the experience. (Or increases Disney's profit without negatively impacting the experience.) It should not happen outside of those circumstances.

• =)

Quote Originally Posted by bee1000 View Post
    Hey, that's what I said! You just used a lot more words!
    True, that. You posted while I was writing.

• Member of Baxter's Army

So they inject well-done but ultimately unnecessary animatronics into the attraction, including one that fundamentally disrupts the meaning of the attraction.
    Which one?

• =)

Quote Originally Posted by HMF View Post
    Which one?
    The final Jack. He gets away with the treasure. No consequences. And so the "dead men tell no tales" motif isn't allowed to fully tell its tale.

• Member of Baxter's Army

The final Jack. He gets away with the treasure. No consequences. And so the "dead men tell no tales" motif isn't allowed to fully tell its tale.
    I agree' but at the same time the two pirates who died hauling the Treasure up were not there originally. They came from Epcot's World of Motion while it was being turned into Test Track.

• Lowering Expectations

Quote Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
    I will say it again.

Firsthand.
    But at least one thing about this assertion doesn't make sense because the rainforest/New Guinea room is always draped with black curtains for the Holiday version.

So how will we see anything in that room besides curtains and "Peace on Earth" signs?
    Follow news-savvy @DLtoday on Twitter by clicking on the banner below:

Quote Originally Posted by 2DieFR View Post
    But at least one thing about this assertion doesn't make sense because the rainforest/New Guinea room is always draped with black curtains for the Holiday version.

So how will we see anything in that room besides curtains and "Peace on Earth" signs?
    Hah, your right! That means more wait to see if they're coming back.

Quote Originally Posted by HMF View Post
    I agree' but at the same time the two pirates who died hauling the Treasure up were not there originally. They came from Epcot's World of Motion while it was being turned into Test Track.
    That was added in the 1997 "PC remodel" of Pirates.
    That was a disaster. The last 25 million dollar refurbish fixed some of that mess but added a whole bunch of other not needed junk. That is another thread topic, either way with the 25 million they spent on the Pirates "Plussing" and the who knows how much they spent on this Small world "Plussing" They could have spent all that money on a true new E-Ticket attraction. Again no reason to change for changes sake.
    Last edited by CAspace; 10-07-2008 at 04:48 PM. Reason: Corrected date, thanks to HMF

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast