View Poll Results: Are you Dissapointed that they removed the Rainforest show scene.

Voters
210. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I am dissapointed.

128 60.95%
  • No, I am not dissapointed.

82 39.05%
Page 1 of 14 123411 ... LastLast

Sad Memories of the original Small World. R.I.P Small World Rainforest.

Well there we have it folks. As Al mentioned in todays update the Rain Forest is no more. Please share any pictures or memories you may have of that fantastic forest. Losing Mary Blaire's wonderful RainForest show scene is a very sad development that never needed to happen.

Of course the jury will still be out until the "Unveiling" in January but I have no expectations that the new show scene or "Disney Characters" they added to the classic will have "Plussed" the masterpiece of "It's a Small World"

Share your pictures if you have them of the Rainforest scene, I unfortunately have no pictures of the masterpiece. I will have to live with my memories and the you tube videos.

Small World- from Worlds Fair world of Disney preview, Narrated by Mr. Walt Disney himself!

YouTube - '64 Disneyland Goes to the World's Fair (It's A Small World)

For the old RIP Polynesian scene and the Rainforest scene check out this video starting at 6:36 (6 minutes 36 seconds in) Can anyone confirm what show scenes exactly in this video will be gone by the time this ride reopens?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YmXczwUMHU
    Last edited by CAspace; 10-09-2008 at 05:09 PM.

• It's all about Theme!

Re: Memories of the original Small World. R.I.P Small World Rainforest.

Apparently you can't even trust Marty. Sad.

BOO DISNEYLAND!!!!
    Friend walks into line of The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh-
    "Come on, Let's go see Country Bear- .......Oh."
    -August 1st 2010

And this elevator traverls directly to The Twilight Zone The Gift Shop!
    -August 2nd 2010

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Super Duper!

I, too, don't have any pictures of the Rainforest, but I do have two of the Papua New Guinea side of the room:

This has me hurt, and deeply so. I'm very serious about never going on iasw, with the exception of small world holiday this year. And that really hurts, as small world was one of my favorite attractions in Disneyland, ever.

Darn you Marketeers. And anyone else involved. (I want to use stronger language, but this is, after all, a family website.)

Sad Re: Memories of the original Small World. R.I.P Small World Rainforest.

Quote Originally Posted by dland_lover View Post
    I, too, don't have any pictures of the Rainforest, but I do have two of the Papua New Guinea side of the room:

This has me hurt, and deeply so. I'm very serious about never going on iasw, with the exception of small world holiday this year. And that really hurts, as small world was one of my favorite attractions in Disneyland, ever.

Darn you Marketeers. And anyone else involved. (I want to use stronger language, but this is, after all, a family website.)
    Wow, Thanks for those pictures, I will Really really miss the Polynesian side of the show scene. That was my favorite room since childhood.
    What a shame. All that money could have gone towards something worthy of a true "Pluss" The attraction should have received a new Flume and ceiling paint and character dustoff and mechanical work.

I wish I had some pull at Disney Corp. I would fire about 80-90% of the high paid pencil pushers.
    You know I really should not have had this "Poll" Since Disney pencil pushers will no doubt pad it with there bias. And I can guarantee they are already all over this site since it generates quite a bit of traffic.

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

I'm sad to learn they are messing with 'perfection'......if it isn't broken, don't fix it, is my thought.

I am sad they removed the rainforest, but as long as they leave the little Hula Girls in the Hawaiian section, then I'm good to go, I guess. Those Hula Girls have been my favorite since I was a very little boy.........they just crack me up!

• Keepin' it calsteady

I think it's going to be fine. America is part of our small world, so it makes some sense for the ride to return you to the USA at the end (as Soarin' ends at DLR). Adding Disney characters to the other scenes might be fun as they sing along with the other figures.

Yes, Small World as a time capsule was lovely, but I don't expect the changes will hurt it much. Pirates, in my opinion, is better with Capt Jack, though, so I'm not exactly a purist when it comes to these matters.

Quote Originally Posted by bee1000 View Post

Pirates, in my opinion, is better with Capt Jack, though, so I'm not exactly a purist when it comes to these matters.
    BLASPHEMY!!

I disagree 100% but we are each entitled to our opinions.

"Yes, I am dissapointed" is a severe understatement for me.
    ap·pur·te·nant – adjective: appertaining or belonging; pertaining.

...to Disneyland.

• =)

Since I rarely ride IASW because of my lack of interest in it, I will still refuse to have any particularly strong opinion on the changes themselves. What I have no problem feeling very strongly about is this:

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Sklar (allegedly...was it ever confirmed?)
    I’ve heard that we are planning to remove the rainforest, add Mickey and Minnie Mouse, create an “Up with America” tribute, to effectively “marginalize” the Mary Blair style and Walt’s classic (all not true).
    Very, very interesting. Plans change, of course. It's entirely possible that at the time, they were not "planning" to remove the rainforest, which would make his statement technically true. It's not like he said they wouldn't...they just weren't planning on it at the time. It's disappointing to see things turn out this way simply because it makes it that much harder for me to believe Disney when they say...anything.

As for the changes themselves...I have no problem with America being part of IASW, though I'm not at all a fan of getting rid of the rainforest to accommodate the scene. I won't touch that rather obvious and unintentional symbolism of the act of replacing it, but I will say that if the USA scene itself will simply be representing one of many countries in the world in the same way as the others, demonstrating the fact that we Americans are no different from residents of other countries.

I'm gonna vote that I am disappointed, since that's the biggest emotion I feel regarding Marty Sklar's cleverly-worded and retrospectively deceptive statement.

• Circle of Ancients

I voted no I'm not dissapointed. I'll wait and see what it looks like first and then decide if I need to be dissapointed or not.

• Collision speed....FULL!

As for the characters, bring it on, they are nothing little subtle details that won't affect me at all. I could care less about them.

The rainforest, however, is a different matter....

My little tribute; glad I made it.....

• Collision speed....FULL!

I'm still confused with the America scene. Why do I want to go to America in a ride? I'm in America! I want to see other countries (stylized). Thats like building a park about California in California.

They should have left it, the Cowboy and Indian were enough.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Nautilus View Post
    I'm still confused with the America scene. Why do I want to go to America in a ride? I'm in America! I want to see other countries (stylized). Thats like building a park about California in California.

They should have left it, the Cowboy and Indian were enough.
    I couldn't agree more with your opinion. I am so disappointed in this news. I have always had so much faith in the imagineers. I feel sam said it best, and the execs have bluffed us. "its a tribute to all countries, but mostly america"
    why why why.. we are hated by countries already. the rain forest has always been such a nice scene and brings attention to real rain forests that actually do need attention.
    Such saddening news. I'm shocked by their decision to go this direction.

Disappointed? No.

PISSED OFF? YES!

We have not inherited Disneyland from Walt, we are trusted with preserving what it stands for, for our children.

Change is inevitable, and can be good. This change is not about plussing the attraction, but rather about changing a work of art in the name of corporate greed.

--Brian

• Man of Logic and Reason

Just wanted to say that yes I am disappointed and I'm not entirely thrilled with the Americana concept. But I will say this as well, I can understand why the cut it out. When you really think about it with the Australian/New Zeland segment and the African forest segment...do you really need another room that has animals and grass skirts. I'm just saying that the aesthetic is repetitive and while they probably only decided to do it so they could put Woody and Jesse in there I think it might be the right decision.

Page 1 of 14 123411 ... LastLast