Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Disneyland Fanatic

How do you get money to go to Disneyland?

Hey all -
    I was just looking up package costs for a trip to Disneyland, just dreaming and wondering how much I would have to scrape together, and was shocked to see how much the cost is (I haven't gone with my whole family in a few years.) The cheapest I could find was just under $1000 for a 3 day vacation with hotel and all - and there is no way we have the money for that. So my question is for those of you who live far enough away from Dland to need a hotel stay, how do you get the money together for a vacation? My husband is in school and so am I, and he is only working part time in the meantime, and I stay home with the kiddos. Just wanting some creative ideas as to how to come up with the money for a much needed vacation

Re: How do you get money to go to Disneyland?

Hi Mama! My family would be in the same boat, if it wasn't for a very generous Nana, and tax refunds! LOL I paid for most of our trip out of last year's tax refund. Because we have two kids, it was enough to cover the hotel and tickets. Nana paid for the flight. :-)

We got a great deal at www.getawaytoday.com. Check them out. I saved almost $500 on the tickets alone, using them!

xo Linda
    Linda

• Circle of Ancients

Priceline is your friend!!!!

I have never stayed onsite at Disneyland since I've been paying for it on my own. We stayed at the D-Land hotel once when I was 16 and that was a special treat. There are way too many deals to be had around the parks to pay that much for a hotel.

Last weekend we stayed at the hilton for 2 nights, it was just over $110 for both nights combined ($50 per night).

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Priceline is your friend!!!!

I have never stayed onsite at Disneyland since I've been paying for it on my own. We stayed at the D-Land hotel once when I was 16 and that was a special treat. There are way too many deals to be had around the parks to pay that much for a hotel.

Last weekend we stayed at the hilton for 2 nights, it was just over $110 for both nights combined ($50 per night).
    You can get some really great deals on Priceline! There's even a thread, Clinks started in the travel planning section about it.

How to use Priceline to your advantage in Anaheim

Myself I don't like not knowing ahead of time what hotel I'm getting so I've never used Priceline. I'm more of a control freak and I want to pick exactly where I'm going to be. But then I'm fortunate that I only have myself to deal with (hubby hates Disneyland), so I only have to buy a pass for myself, and I just watch prices on Expedia, Orbitz etc and catch the rooms close to when I'm going to be there and hope the rooms prices drop as the time gets closer. (Sometimes this works.... not always.)

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• Closed Account

I sold a kidney on eBay.

'Course, it wasn't mine...

• Disneyland Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by ljm1971 View Post
    Hi Mama! My family would be in the same boat, if it wasn't for a very generous Nana, and tax refunds! LOL I paid for most of our trip out of last year's tax refund. Because we have two kids, it was enough to cover the hotel and tickets. Nana paid for the flight. :-)

We got a great deal at www.getawaytoday.com. Check them out. I saved almost $500 on the tickets alone, using them!

xo Linda
    Yeah, I have always loved getawaytoday.com, and they were the ones that gave me the $936 quote. One thing is, we would be taking 3 of our 4 children, and this time around they all are at an age where we have to buy them tickets - the tickets alone are like $800. Should have thought about how much Disneyland would cost before I kept having kids!

• DLR -> WDW Cast Member

I like to call it, "work".
    Burnt Toast
    The Magic Begins With Me...! 8:P

• Keepin' it calsteady

I get my money by working for The Man.

For a family who has to fly to southern California to go to Disneyland, I think you need to have a savings plan set up. Contact your bank to see about creating a separate savings account as your "Disneyland fund" and put money in there every month.

Set money aside by giving up some luxury you currently enjoy. Give up a daily latte for a year and you could pay for the trip, for instance.

Get the kids to contribute to the fund, too, with portions of birthday money and allowances, etc. If your kids are old enough they could try to earn money from neighbors by walking dogs, mowing lawns and doing other chores.

When I was a kid, we used to use the change my dad saved in a big coffee can to finance our tickets. (I'm dating myself with that one, for sure! Everything was a lot cheaper back in the 80s.)

Now, I don't want to be a killjoy here, but if you're putting money into a separate savings account for Disneyland, I sure hope you already have one for the kids' college funds! There are more important things than Disneyland, after all.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

i wasn't able to vacation most of my married life, because the money wasn't there. However, since 2003, I have been able to put a little bit of money aside in the bank from my husband's paycheck. I can usually save enough for about a week's trip that way. The last few years, my husband has been very generous, and he has allowed me to keep the tax refund. So I am a lucky lady. I am trying to make up for all those years that I didn't go, by planning at least one Disney vacation each year.

• Mischievous Mouse

Well since I haven't actually been convicted......yet, I guess I could tell you.

It is suppose to be a secret, you know? So this is just between you and me, ok?

You might want to write this down. Ok, ready?

It's called... CREDIT!

shshshshshsh, mums the word now.

"We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together."

-Walt Disney

^^

Linda

•   
    • Damn Good Burger!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    I sold a kidney on eBay.

'Course, it wasn't mine...
    That's the last time I ever go to Vegas with you.

I book my hotels far in advance and hope for a great deal to pop up then I change my ressies.

If I know we will be going to Dland the following year, I usually get a part-time retail job for the holiday season around Oct or Nov thru the end of Dec. I have a regular office 9 to 5 job so my part time check goes all to the vacation fund.
    By the time the xmas season is over I have saved more than enough for vacay and the part-time paycheck helps pay for xmas presents so I don't have to budget.
    I'm not a fan of budgeting for vacation out of our regular finances so this way we don't stress over money for vacation. Me and my husband usually trade off years so if I work part-time holiday one year, he works part-time holiday the next.

We opted to track Expedia for an offsite hotel, we are traveling by train vs. plane (saved over $1000) and my husband and I put aside $ each, each payday. We have purchased things ahead of time (I purchased our tickets one at a time etc).

• Banned User

I would also recommend that you check AAA if you have a membership. They can usually get the price down a bit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast