Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Talking What is your most treasured souvenir or special memory?

I'm sure a lot of us on this site have a strong attachment to Disneyland, and our own special memories, pictures, or souvenirs. I guess I want this thread to be a trip down memory lane, in honor of my most treasured souvenir...my daughter.

Yep...that's right, my daughter, Gabrielle Renee-Iris Martin (G.R.I.M. for short or as I like to call her Grim grinning Gabby). She was born 5 and 1/2 weeks ago on August 29th 2008. She was conceived on one of our trips to Disneyland (Not at the park). Her first trip to Disneyland was in utero, and we plan on taking her back to the motherland as often as possible.

• =)

Re: What is your most treasured souvenir or special memory?

I actually like the TL '98 souvenir cup my father got me while he was in the park on business, I think, back in 1998, before I'd even seen the New Tomorrowland. It looks about as cool as TL '98 doesn't. I don't have a picture of it, though - I don't have access to it at the moment.

• E T1CK3T

I have 2 favorites: my pin collection (about 130 now), and my 50th Anniversary Gold ears. Those are the most awesome souvenirs I could ever get from Disneyland. Attraction posters come in at a close 3rd, esp. my signed and personalized by the artist Mark VII attraction poster.

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    I actually like the TL '98 souvenir cup my father got me while he was in the park on business, I think, back in 1998, before I'd even seen the New Tomorrowland. It looks about as cool as TL '98 doesn't. I don't have a picture of it, though - I don't have access to it at the moment.
    I guess it's good that something of some value to someone came out of TL '98.

• Walt Disney Fan

When went to Disney World last summer we had a lunch with an imaginneer. We got a plate with sorcer mickey and the immagineers autograph. It's awesome

My Future Job hopefully

• =)

Quote Originally Posted by bluejake01 View Post
    I guess it's good that something of some value to someone came out of TL '98.
    Hey, it had to happen eventually, even if it was just a freak merchandise accident.

My mother taking the time 2 take me every year of my life 2 DL. She liked it the first time she was there but after that it wasn't her thing but she sacraficed for me 2 be able 2 go and experience this place. I owe her so much 4 it, as she was a single mom since my dad didn't like the place...he prefers water parks.
    I WANT DL 2 BE MY PERMANENT HOME!
    1 DAY...EVEN IF I BECOME A TEACHER...I WOULD LIKE TO WORK AT DL & HOPEFULLY BE ONE OF THE CHARACTERS TO PERFORM DURING FANTASMIC!

• Disneymom

I'm surprised noone said it yet, but your daughter is simply beautiful. Congrats.
    My treasured Memory was when my daughter was 5 and just got hearing aids Cinderella got down on her level and started to sign language to here. MY daughter was really shy about Signing and was so excited that Cinderella knew how to do it too. I started crying and still do when I think of it. BTW she is now 8.

• We Want The Redhead

The wall map from my very first visit. A few years ago, my wife had it framed for me for my birthday. It takes up most of one side of our living room wall. I look at it and dream of the park that was every day.
    That and the memories of all the visits we've made as a family...
    First Visit at the age of 12, July 17, 1968.
    First Ride, The Disneyland and Santa Fe Railroad.
    BRING BACK THE PEOPLE MOVER!

Quote Originally Posted by lou_mom View Post
    I'm surprised noone said it yet, but your daughter is simply beautiful. Congrats.
    My treasured Memory was when my daughter was 5 and just got hearing aids Cinderella got down on her level and started to sign language to here. MY daughter was really shy about Signing and was so excited that Cinderella knew how to do it too. I started crying and still do when I think of it. BTW she is now 8.
    Thank you so much. I'm fairly biased, but I think she is too.

I tell you what, that story made me cry just hearing it. Those are exactly the situations that make Disneyland special. While I can get wrapped up in nitpicking the minutiae of park operation and attraction design sometimes, it's good to remember the reasons we all still go. I tear up just thinking about all the new and wonderful things I get to show Gabby.

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

Aww your daughter is beautiful.

I have a few, most are kid orientated- some of mine are when my oldest rode Screamin' for the first time and as we went through the loop he screamed "I DID IT" all the way through the loop.
    When we were at Goofy's Kitchen and Goofy had a field day playing with myoldest. He was the big kid out of the group so he figured all the little kids would get attention, but he and Goofy had a field day. He had so much fun and laughed sooo hard.
    When the same son was about 2 and completely Toy Story-ified we were in TL and Buzz came up behind his stroller he started pushing my son through TL and my son looked up and saw it was Buzz pushing him...priceless.
    My youngest was there for his 4th bday and in line for Autopia a CM said Happy Birthday to him, he said thank you and while we were talking to the CM I thanked him also and told him he was the first to tell him Happy Birthday all day. At the end of the right the CM was waiting for my son and gave him a bag that had a "birthday present in it from Disneyland" It was an Autopia car. My son's eyes widened, his mouth dropped, it was so sweet. He still has the car on his shelf.
    Same son was there on his bday two years later and as we boarded the monorail a cm said Happy Birthday and asked his name, as we cruised into the DTD station he sang Happy Birthday to my son over the loud speaker, my son thought that was the coolest thing ever.
    The first time my youngest rode TOT, he's been scared of it forever. He got off the ride(he was terrified the whole time) and said "I don't think I"ll ride that again until I'm more mature"

Lastly, yes I"m long winded Last June. My boys and I spent a week at the GCH with wonderful friends(MTNGIRL, All Aglow, Stinkerbell) to attend Sunnygirl & Ander's wedding and we also celebrated my birthday. It was just the most relaxing trip, with no hitches, the mood was festive, my boys and all my favorite people were there and it was just out and out wonderful.

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

Feel free to be long winded. I love hearing the stories, and have plenty of my own to share, when I have more time. I can be pretty long winded myself.

• Laughing Last..

Aside from my collection of tickets (E's and whatnot), my favorite memory is from the early 90's. It's not really a memory about the park, but more related to it. My wife and my 3 boys and I were to go to Disneyland, not an event that we could afford too often back then. My wife had gotten the flu and had to stay home, so me and the boys went. My boys were 8,6 and 5 then. We had actually parked and taken the tram to the front gate, when my number two started crying. He was upset that Mom wasn't there to share with us and wanted to go home. The other two agreed that it wouldn't be the same without her there and wanted to go home and take care of her. We drove home ( 24 miles, no great distance) and the boys spent the day catering to her. It was one of the few times that, as a group, they put something or someone else ahead of their own wants, a very rare occurance. Made me feel good that day.
    LOS ANGELES
    ANGELS
    OF ANAHEIM
    WHAT A STUPID NAME

CALIFORNIA ANGELS FOREVER

Baseball is our religion
    The stadium our cathedral
    Beer and peanuts our sacrament

• Blow me to Bermuda!

Ah.. she is so sweet.

My favorite memory is of my daughter as well. Although at a considerably older age. lol My Sweet 16 gift to her was a trip to DL, just me, her, and her best friend. It was a wonderful weekend. Being all about the kid, we (by "we" I mean "I" as the girls decided it was time for a snack) ended up standing in line for PFF for close to an hour. We were very disappointed to not see either of our two favorites, but hey, what are you gonna do? Anyway, as we were leaving, the girls decided one of the guys at the exit was really cute. The two guys were more than happy to pose for a picture. Just as I was about to snap the pic, up walks Snow White (my fav) who also happily joins the group. Following shortly behind is my daughter's fav, Aurora. It was a perfect Disney moment.

As for actual souveniers, the kid's gold mickey ears (from the sweet 16 trip) and the pirate ears we got at the At World's End premier. Although I'm awfully fond of the christmas ornaments we have begun collecting too.

Enjoying the warmth and sunshine of Phoenix between Disney trips.

I orginally posted this story in the celebrity sightings page but it got lost in the shuffle.. On the 50th Mom and I were waiting at the exit of BLAB and looking for our picutres to come up. Out of the corner of my eye I see this little older lady and gosh darnit she just looks so framiliar. How do I know her? I stood staring and studying for about a minute before it set in where I knew this lady from and as it hit me my Mom snuck up behind me and grabbed me by the shoulders and said "Missy do you know who that is?!" Rendered Speechless all I could say is Yes! It was Sharon of the Original MMC cast and Sherry right next to her. I was feeling particularly shy and didn't want to bother her when my Mom noticed that their guest relations guide was a friend of hers and asked if he was with them today and he said yes and offered to introduce us. Well, long story short I BAWLED like a fool. You see most kids want to grow up to be teachers, doctors, astronauts, or paris hilton (now a days!), All I wanted was to be a Mouseketeer. I got the tapes of the originals for christmas one year when I was in like the second grade and fell asleep to them (not to mention vault disney). So to see one of your childhood icons that you figured you would NEVER EVER meet, or at least not within the next million years, it was breath taking. When Sharon saw me crying she started tearing up herself and I told her she just doesn't understand what the show meant to me. I guess it really made their day as well as ours since our guest relations friend said that they had been sad all day saying how no one will even recognize them. Shortly after that magic died down Mom needed a smoke and we headed towards the stop on BTT and as we sat, drying our tears (I think we get the true Disney Dorks seal of approval on this one) and feeling the magic of the day, I said to my Mom I just wish he could see this. My mom looked at me and said I was just thinking the exact same thing, and as we shared a smile two butterflies came down and circled my head and then my moms and left. We knew then, he saw everything :*) Absolutely one of the greatest moments I can't ever forget

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast