Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

• Banned User

Post Autistics Disney Love, Friend(s) or Loved Ones?

I know this is cliche' and I apologize, but I am curious to know if there are any other autistic disney lovers within this community. Anyone in the family? Any friend of yours or friend of a friend of yours who is autistic and just finds a CONNECTION when at the parks, or a change of temperament, behavior, emotion.. anything?

Again I have NO INTENTION of bothering anyone or hurting, insulting, and I know, being autistic, might I have "some nerve" bringing this up, but since I am autistic, I'm curious to know if there are others....

• =)

Re: Autistics Disney Love, Friend(s) or Loved Ones?

Sorry, I can't help you there, but I hope someone else'll be able to.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    Sorry, I can't help you there, but I hope someone else'll be able to.
    Oh YOU!!!!
    thanks for writing in though Data. Always love hearing from Y O U.

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

I work as an instructional assistant (one of my jobs) in the severely handicapped department at the local high school. One of our autistic students and his family love to go to Disneyland. I haven't had a chance to talk to his mom much about his experience or how they handle the crowds (he has a pretty severe form of autism), but I remember one of the other IA's who know the family well saying they use to go to Disneyland a lot.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• 525,600 minutes...

three blocks from the happiest place on earth

i have read a story about a nine year old autistic boy who had never said a word. on his first trip to disneyland, he saw mickey infront of the opera house. there was naturally a large croud around mickey, but none the less, the boy fought his way to the very front and uttered his very first words. "mickey mouse".

Die Vampire, Die!!!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by penguinsoda View Post
    I work as an instructional assistant (one of my jobs) in the severely handicapped department at the local high school. One of our autistic students and his family love to go to Disneyland. I haven't had a chance to talk to his mom much about his experience or how they handle the crowds (he has a pretty severe form of autism), but I remember one of the other IA's who know the family well saying they use to go to Disneyland a lot.

Thank You for sharing.. yeah, that makes sense. Sounds like he is low functional on the spectrum. Many of my friend are LF as well.
    I'm sure this is going to be a touchy subject for some. So Thanks again for writing in, really appreciate it.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by lovedisney33 View Post
    i have read a story about a nine year old autistic boy who had never said a word. on his first trip to disneyland, he saw mickey infront of the opera house. there was naturally a large croud around mickey, but none the less, the boy fought his way to the very front and uttered his very first words. "mickey mouse".
    Yea. That happened alright. I was at a autistic gathering and met the parents. He now has several premium passes and the family has moved closer to wdw. He's starting off in great shape, now at least they have a tool they can use to help open more potential conversation. Thank you for sharing. By the way, is that Dylan as your Genie avatar or Russ, do you know by chance?
    Again thank you for sharing

• Proud "Dis-nerd"

We've been taking our youngest son to Disneyland on regular visits for the past couple of years. He's mildly autistic and thanks to a wonderful program in the Mesa, AZ school district, is doing great. When we first took him he was overwhelmed but happy at the same time. He's now adjusted to Disneyland so well that we all enjoy the trips together, a rare thing indeed!

He doesn't like most of the dark rides or the fireworks (too loud!), wants to go on the fast rides (isn't tall enough for most of them), finds It's a Small World boring (can't blame him there) and is afraid of some of the costumed characters (loves Buzz Lightyear but won't go near him!). He's a real champ at queuing up in the long lines - a challenge for anyone. He's nearly 6 now and if we lived closeby I think we'd be there every weekend.

I've loved Disneyland since I first went as a child, but seeing it through his eyes has made it even more special.

If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/blendywee

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Super Duper!

I have Asperger's Syndrome. Not exactly the same, but quite similar in many ways.

There are varying degrees of severity with AS, from near-Autistic, to almost no symptoms at all. Einstein may very well have had AS. I am on the higher-functioning side of the spectrum; people can't tell anything is really different. When I tell them, they're really taken back that I do have a disorder. But it's really no biggie.

When I'm at the parks, or anywhere, I really don't have a problem with crowds. At DL, I know where I can go, and what I can do to beat the crowds, so it's all good. And when I'm in the parks, I let out my inner child fully. Most of the time in my "normal" life , I'm almost always happy and have that child-like innocence (unless I'm in rush hour traffic on my way to work. Drive the speed limit, or get over!! ... ) that we all seem to have to varying degrees, but when I'm on Disney property, I'm a kid all over again.

And it is because of my many escapes to Disneyland that I can cope with the stresses of my job.

• =)

I am on the higher-functioning side of the spectrum; people can't tell anything is really different. When I tell them, they're really taken back that I do have a disorder.
    Add me to the list! I never suspected you had any disorder. And I'm glad Disneyland has worked so well for you.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Super Duper!

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    Add me to the list! I never suspected you had any disorder. And I'm glad Disneyland has worked so well for you.
    See what I mean?

Yeah, I was born Oct. '85, and my first trip to DL was June '86. I've loved the park ever since then. And thank goodness my parents love it too.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by Jiminy Crickett View Post
    I know this is cliche' and I apologize, but I am curious to know if there are any other autistic disney lovers within this community. Anyone in the family? Any friend of yours or friend of a friend of yours who is autistic and just finds a CONNECTION when at the parks, or a change of temperament, behavior, emotion.. anything?

Again I have NO INTENTION of bothering anyone or hurting, insulting, and I know, being autistic, might I have "some nerve" bringing this up, but since I am autistic, I'm curious to know if there are others....

I'd just like to say that you've started a great little thread where people in similar situations can come together and connect on something they love.

That's the micechat spirit! kudos!

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

Like Pengy, I have several students on the autistic spectrum, but they are also hearing impaired, so, whereas it is noticable for me, their parents and many others don't notice.

I'm glad you started this thread as well. I suspect there are more people similar to yourself then you think! And that, in the end, is one of the purposes of MiceChat. To bring people together over their love for all things Disney.

Myself? I'm a special educator for the Deaf and hard-of-hearing.

Welcome to the boards, in a sense!

As for those students? They've not gone to Disney yet. We live too far away. However, I've taken them to Six Flags and it did not go over very well at all.

Peace,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

When I worked at the YMCA doing summer day camp, I worked at the sight that had most of the kids with special needs. Our kids with special needs LOVE Disneyland!

My best score ever!

• Banned User

6 flags... ooo yikes. Yea, I would think that wouldn't go over well.
    Scary, intimidating, loud, not very welcoming, not comfort feeling at all really. That trip must have been some experience. Yikes.

completely understand.
    sympathetic to the struggle of how that might have gone.

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast