Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

• Animatronic

Re: Tunnel under Tom Sawer Island?

The Rocket Rod queue entered in the Circle Vision Theater (now BLAB) and then you went down stairs, crossed under the Tomorrowland main street, and came up under the loading area. It was all unthemed and very industrial looking and I have vague memories of doors and closed off areas. It all seemed very unprofessional and makeshift, but interesting in that backstage sort of way.

• 0 to 200 mph in 1 second!

That "tunnel" to Rocket Rods was just plain embarrassing. It looked like something you might find at a neighborhood Scandia amusement park. Ugh; I'm so glad its gone. Shameful. I'm sure eveyrone who had the misfortune to work on it never included it on their resumes.

• Gumball Rally Godfather

Quote Originally Posted by speederscout
    That "tunnel" to Rocket Rods was just plain embarrassing. It looked like something you might find at a neighborhood Scandia amusement park. Ugh; I'm so glad its gone. Shameful. I'm sure eveyrone who had the misfortune to work on it never included it on their resumes.
    Now that I think about it, that queue was pretty sucky. I remember old Disneyland transportation props being used there.
    As I think back on it, that attraction epitomized the way that the Pressler/Harris regime approached everything after Indiana Jones. "Yes I know we need to do something with the empty buildings in Tomorrowland, and with the Peoplemover track. Just tell the Imagineers that they're gonna get 20% of the money that they asked for, and tell them to figure it out."
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

• Yes its that much fun!

The only tunnel (imagined or otherwise) from TSI to anywhere is mentioned in Kevin's book 101 things you never knew.. item #27 "A canal in New Orleans Square, labeled "1764" is all that remains of a plan to unify several themes in the land" BTW its a great treasure hunt to find this one and to try to figure out how they would've accomplished the entire tunnel system!
    "I am about to pack up 21 years of Disney memorabilia from around the world that hopefully my great grandchildren will not sell on eBay"
    Micheal Eisner

• Former CM

Quote Originally Posted by General You
    Though I have no first hand knowledge, I had heard of a tunnel, and that it had been closed as "unsafe." Considering the fort at one time sported a snack shop it seems entirely possible to me that it might have been supplied as such.
    The way the fort was supplied was by raft until it closed. It was done before the park opened. If something ran out during the day and it was easy to restock then someone would be sent over carrying what ever was needed (like a box of chips or candy), but the major stocking was every morning before the park was opened and by raft.

I asked a friend of mine who has worked in maintenance for over 20 years about the existence of this supposed tunnel. Here's his response:

"No there is not a tunnel leading to the TSI, though when they were building Fantasmic, we had asked for it. There is a basement on the Fantasmic side of the island that the witch, dragon, dancers perform from, basically everything you see on the island when you watch the show comes from the basement."

• U. B. Bold

Thanks to everyone who responded to my question. The evidence seems to suggest that there never was a tunnel onder TSI so I must have missplaced the memory from somewhere else (it sucks getting older).
    Please visit my Big Thunder/Disney Inspired Model Railroad

Dream big. Do what you love.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by BigThunder
    Thanks to everyone who responded to my question. The evidence seems to suggest that there never was a tunnel onder TSI so I must have missplaced the memory from somewhere else (it sucks getting older).
    Yes, it does suck.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234