Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• U. B. Bold

Tunnel under Tom Sawer Island?

Help me out here. Something I was reading just sparked a vague memory I have about a tunnel under Tom Sawer Island. When I was a kid (long, long ago) I was playing on the Island and got seperated from my friends. Now this is where it gets weird, I seem to remember going through a secret entrance that was disguised as a rock and going down some stairs and finding myself in a totaly bare and unthemed corridor that looked like it went on forever. I got the feeling I was someplace I wasn't supposed to be so I turned around and high tailed it out of there. Of course my friends never believed me when I told them and now I'm not sure if I imagined the whole thing or if it really happened. Any CM's or former CM's know what I'm talking about?

Oh, and I'm not talking about Injun' Joe's cave here or any of the other "play" caves on the Island.
    Please visit my Big Thunder/Disney Inspired Model Railroad

Dream big. Do what you love.

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

Re: Tunnel under Tom Sawer Island?

We should do an exploration and search for this rock!

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

• U. B. Bold

I've looked for it but have never been able to find it again. I think it was somewhere near Fort Wilderness.

• Don't hate the game...

oooo how cool...
    there have been times where i remembered something from a long time ago but ended up imagining it... But that sounds like something cool to find!

• ROFLCOPTER

Cool.. I thought "space moutain" went through 2 tunnels at Wdw.....
    Go Bengals.

WDW>DL

• Nice Guy

Blog Entries

This is just one of Disneylands many utildors that criss cross DL. It allows for cast member and food service acces to the fort when it had food service. There are alsio character changing rooms and is where tinkerbell prepares for her flight. The hatch is normally secured in the daytime. The other end terminates in a location just behind Buzz.
    >>Alan<<
    Member 216

• U. B. Bold

^Aha! Now it all makes sense. Of course they would need a way to get people and stuff on and off of the Island. A CM must have left the hatch open by mistake and I just stumbled in there. Thanks for helping me solve the mystery.

• Disneyland Historian

Quote Originally Posted by KingOfHearts
    This is just one of Disneylands many utildors that criss cross DL. It allows for cast member and food service acces to the fort when it had food service. There are alsio character changing rooms and is where tinkerbell prepares for her flight. The hatch is normally secured in the daytime. The other end terminates in a location just behind Buzz.
    I am pretty certain that there is no such tunnel going to the island. If there were, I'm sure all the Fantasmic! performers and props would be sent over via this tunnel rather than sent across secretly using the rafts which takes a much longer time. Also, I've been inside the Tomorrowland tunnel under Buzz and it does not head in that direction; it connects the backside of Innoventions to the backside of Buzz with stops in between for the Club Buzz stage and Ariel's Grotto. At one time, however, there was a secret, on-stage tunnel for guests to find behind Fort Wilderness that connected the area behing the fort with a room inside the fort. It was themed as a secret passage to escape in case of an Indian attack. It is marked on old maps of the island, one of which I believe is on display in the Opera House.

• Hooterville, USA

Let's do a little investigating on this tunnel.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• All? NO, ALL!

Disneyland has very few tunnels underground. Very few. Magic Kingdom is the park with the Utilidors system, not Disneyland.

• Rainicorn.

Oh my god... it's like LOST:

If you get this, you're awesome.
    Last edited by robotpirates; 09-05-2005 at 01:20 PM.
    Well, light travels from the sun. Then, bounces off of our planet, and back into our eyes so we can perceive color. My body can intercept that light and dance around on it!

-- robotarmada.net --

• Animatronic

I have no first hand experience with Disney Tunnels (other than the Rocket Rod queue), but I believe there are only a few connected basements under New Orleans and Tomorrowland. The Island did have an escape tunnel from the fort, which if one went backwards (as I often did) would enter into the Fort. This was themed and never got industrial, but always seemed mysterious to me as a very young kid as where I went in seemed unrelated to where I came out.

• My Children's Father

I remember the tunnel leading from the "back" of Fort Wilderness to an area outside the Fort (but still on the island). But it was as "themed" as any other cave or tunnel on the island, seemingly hewn out of rock. So that's not it ..... unless BigThunder stumbled upon it while it was being built (before it was themed, but hasn't it been there since day 1?), or if it was removed and "de-themed", maybe he stumbled upon it then .........

BT: what year would it have been when you discovered the "Corridor of Mystery"?
    "She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"
    - Ron Livingston, "Band of Brothers"

• U. B. Bold

^Yea, I know about the one at the Fort. But the one I'm thinking of was very utilitarian. Definately not an "onstage" area.

Well, it would make sense that there would be a tunnel from the "main land" to the island. Tom Sawyer Island is, after all, the stage for Fantasmic! So, performers and stage tech need a way to get over there. Plus when Fantasmic! sometimes does their Alternate Finale where all the characters dance on the island instead of the Mark Twain Riverboat, how do all those characters get to that point?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast