• Keep Moving Forward

Disneyland for the First Time

This past Saturday I hopped onto Indy via single rider and was placed in the back row with a father and his two daughters. The father turned to me and said in a heavy accent, "So, have you been on this ride before, mate?" Immediately my brain said to me, "You're not from around here, are you?" Having registered that thought, I smiled and said that yes I had, and they were about to have the time of their lives. And they did indeed. "That was something else," the father told me once the adventure was over. "I thought it might be a roller coaster, but that was something else!" Upon further discussion while walking through the exit, I learned that this father and his two daughters were from New Zealand and were spending their first day ever in the park along with the rest of their family. "So how are you enjoying the park?" I asked. "Oh, it's wonderful!" the father told me. "We're having a great time!"

Having grown up around Disneyland, I often don't realize that there are many people who have yet to visit the park, particularly since it's been around for over fifty years. And yet I constantly am meeting people of all ages who are experiencing the park for the first time ever. Whenever I do, I always want to know if they're having a good time, and without fail, they always smile and say, "Oh yes, we're having a great time!" I don't think that experience will ever grow old.

Anyone else have stories like this to share?

• I'm not really here

Re: Disneyland for the First Time

Back in 98 my dad took my younger brother and I to Disneyland for spring break. We were in the line for Splash Mountain (our first time riding it) and the family in front of us was from Brazil. My dad lived in Brazil for a couple years quite some time ago and knows Portuguese which got the conversation started. It was fun to hear their reactions to things since it was their first time at the park. They were all smiles and giggles and wide-eyed with awe.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Keepin' it calsteady

I rode next to a first-timer on Indy, too! She was with 4 teenagers, who took the front row. Through no fault of her own, she couldn't get her seatbelt buckled so we ended up sitting at the entrance for a couple minutes while the CMs tried to figure out what was wrong - her teenage charges looking on in embarrassment the entire time. Somewhere in there she nervously asked if I'd been on the ride before because it was her first time.

You only get to go on a ride for the first time once. I'm envious of the New Zealander who didn't even know what Indy was like. I don't think I've ever gone on a ride without having some idea of what was coming (other than when I was a kid).

• =)

I love meeting first-timers who are wide-eyed and full of wonderment. For that matter, I enjoy meeting any parkgoer who's wide-eyed and full of wonderment.

My first trip to Disneyland was in 1988, right around Thanksgiving. I was 5 years old, so we spent most of our time in Fantasyland on the rides over there.

This past January, we (me, my husband and my dad) took my 3 kids to Disneyland for the first time - ages 1 1/2, 3, and 5. I thought it would be the same as when I was a kid - the whole trip spent on the little kid rides.

Oh, no.

My 5 year old is as adventurous as I am! She went on EVERYTHING she was tall enough for - including Splash Mountain, Space Mountain, and Tower of Terror! It was the best trip to Disneyland I've ever had, and I can hardly wait to go back again!

• Keep Moving Forward

Quote Originally Posted by lilamyb1983 View Post
    My 5 year old is as adventurous as I am! She went on EVERYTHING she was tall enough for - including Splash Mountain, Space Mountain, and Tower of Terror! It was the best trip to Disneyland I've ever had, and I can hardly wait to go back again!
    Wow, it took forever for me to just get on Big Thunder. I don't think I liked that ride until I was about seven years old. And sadly, that was the biggest ride I did for a while.

• Keep Moving Forward

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    Back in 98 my dad took my younger brother and I to Disneyland for spring break. We were in the line for Splash Mountain (our first time riding it) and the family in front of us was from Brazil. My dad lived in Brazil for a couple years quite some time ago and knows Portuguese which got the conversation started. It was fun to hear their reactions to things since it was their first time at the park. They were all smiles and giggles and wide-eyed with awe.
    Wow, it's really great your dad was able to interact with them like that. One of the few downsides of my job is having to occasionally work with people who don't understand English well, if at all. The language barrier can make things pretty tricky, and I imagine these people can have a difficult time getting around the park. It's great you were able to accommodate them and make magic like that!

• You didn't see anything!

Blog Entries

Just a few weeks ago while waiting for the fireworks, there were two little girls with their grandma and mother sitting behind us. We were making jokes and doing weird voices and making faces and one of the girls behind us tells us that we're funny. I was with Jenny, and couple more MCers. Jenny and I started asking them questions like, "Who is your favorite princess?" or "What's your favorite ride that you rode today?" Their mother told us that this was their first visit to the park, but that day wasn't there visit (they were on vacation). I asked her if they'd seen the fireworks before and she told me that they saw it from the Hub, not where we were sitting (which was literally smack down, front and centered). Right before the fireworks started, we asked the mother if it was alright if the girls could sit with us right in the front. She said yes, and the girls were so excited. After they ended, both girls gave me and my friends a hug, and then the mother came up to us after we stood up and said, "You guys made two little girls' dreams come true tonight! Thank you so much!"

It was such a great moment.

I don't have a story but wouldn't it be just so weird to go for the "first" time? I mean, we did at some point but having grown up with Disneyland it owuld just be wierd to go for the first time at this point in my life.

Just something I've been thinking about.
    ap·pur·te·nant – adjective: appertaining or belonging; pertaining.

...to Disneyland.

• A Weather Eye Open

i've got two friends who recently moved down to so cal this fall term who have never been to disneyland before. i'm up in norcal just for this term, and i can't wait to get down there and hopefully accompany them on their first trip to DL ever!
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

My husband and I just asked our best friends to join us on our trip and we found out that one hasn't been in 12 years(he is 23) and one has never been(she is 20)! And I am so excited to be taking them.

I was eating at Bengal BBQ, and had a very nice conversation with a British family who was spending their first day at the park. I love being able to hear about their joy while at the same time being an ambassador for the park and the US.

• Nill

A few months ago I sat next to a lady on Indy and it was her first time on Indy. I'm not sure if it was her first time to the park, but I would assume so, or she at least hadn't been there for a long time. I felt kind of bad because I think she was by herself, or at least for Indy. But she loved it! It definately made my day brighter, because it reminded me of my first rides on Indy. Of course I can't remember details, but there was a time I enjoyed Indy for the ride it was, not the mechanics and marvels behind it, haha.