Page 91 of 135 FirstFirst ... 41668188899091929394101116 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,365 of 2015

• Banned User

Re: Disney's California Adventure Project Tracker II

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post

There is not likely to be a Phase II anytime soon.
    How do you know? By soon I assume you mean shortly after 2012.

I can't believe the pessimism in this thread. Skepticism, I can understand, in fact I'm one of the biggest skeptics out there. But what I see in this thread is utter pessimism.

Yes, there are two big E-Tickets coming - TLM and RSR - but there is much more. There is the placemaking of the new entrance, there is the placemaking of Radiator Springs/Route 66, there is the somewhat half-hearted placemaking of Paradise Pier, there are several C/D-Tickets coming - those in Cars Land and the Red Trolley - there's a Beer Garden and finally a great big new World of Color show, which I think will be great.

As an APer who goes to DCA for lunch and a few rides in the early part of the day before going to Disneyland, I can tell you that all of the above will definitely be keeping me at DCA for a much longer time and more often. I can't imagine regular park attendance not jumping quite a bit.

As for the economy, if the economy is the same or worse in 3.5 years when Phase 1 of the DCA refurb is done, then we have a lot more things to worry about in the world in general than whether DCA will get a Phase 2. What I mean is try not to predict what the economy is going to be in 3 years, you'll most likely be wrong - even actual economists can't do it very well.

When Phase 1 is complete, there will be three issues that will bother me: the area of Bugs Land and FFF will seem completely out of place; the area around ToT and the new pathway to Cars Land will probably be a bit barren; Paradise Pier, though much better looking, will still feel cheap to me - don't get me wrong, I like Screamin', I love TSMM, TLM seems like a winner and WoC should be great, but I just don't think PP fits into a Disney park.

I know those are a lot of complaints, especially when I don't know what they'll look like in 3 years. But on the whole, DCA, a 3 or 4 on a scale of 1-10 right now, will have morphed into a 7-8 and be well on its way to becoming a compelling sister to Disneyland.

• King of Los Angeles

Seriously -- when ever does a Disney Park get two E-tickets(RRR and TLM) a D ticket (TSMM) and a face-lift in a 4 year period. Most parks get a $100 million E-Ticket once every 7 years or so. This just makes Disney fans seem like a bunch of whiney batches that are never satisfied. Yes there is a lot that can be done, but they have time. I for one am stoked to see what it looks like in 2012, and more so to see what it looks like in 2025.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
    I can't believe the pessimism in this thread. Skepticism, I can understand, in fact I'm one of the biggest skeptics out there. But what I see in this thread is utter pessimism.

Yes, there are two big E-Tickets coming - TLM and RSR - but there is much more. There is the placemaking of the new entrance, there is the placemaking of Radiator Springs/Route 66, there is the somewhat half-hearted placemaking of Paradise Pier, there are several C/D-Tickets coming - those in Cars Land and the Red Trolley - there's a Beer Garden and finally a great big new World of Color show, which I think will be great.

As an APer who goes to DCA for lunch and a few rides in the early part of the day before going to Disneyland, I can tell you that all of the above will definitely be keeping me at DCA for a much longer time and more often. I can't imagine regular park attendance not jumping quite a bit.

As for the economy, if the economy is the same or worse in 3.5 years when Phase 1 of the DCA refurb is done, then we have a lot more things to worry about in the world in general than whether DCA will get a Phase 2. What I mean is try not to predict what the economy is going to be in 3 years, you'll most likely be wrong - even actual economists can't do it very well.

When Phase 1 is complete, there will be three issues that will bother me: the area of Bugs Land and FFF will seem completely out of place; the area around ToT and the new pathway to Cars Land will probably be a bit barren; Paradise Pier, though much better looking, will still feel cheap to me - don't get me wrong, I like Screamin', I love TSMM, TLM seems like a winner and WoC should be great, but I just don't think PP fits into a Disney park.

I know those are a lot of complaints, especially when I don't know what they'll look like in 3 years. But on the whole, DCA, a 3 or 4 on a scale of 1-10 right now, will have morphed into a 7-8 and be well on its way to becoming a compelling sister to Disneyland.
    I completly agree with every point you have stated. The smaller additions along with the larger additions will keep people coming back for more. I think the Little Mermaid ride will be marketed well but will have the same affect at Toy Story Mania but a longer time spand (getting really long waits for a few months before dieing down) although I wouldn't be suprised if a year later when RRR opens then crowds will flood back to all the other attractions because I think DCA will just get more guest in general from Carsland. I think TSM just brought in more people to that attraction, not the park in general. I am almost convinced that these new MAJOR additions will do it and set the park on a uphill incline with more guest for the long term, steady period of time.

• Dream in wonderful color!

thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by BuzzedLightyear View Post
    Seriously -- when ever does a Disney Park get two E-tickets(RRR and TLM) a D ticket (TSMM) and a face-lift in a 4 year period. Most parks get a $100 million E-Ticket once every 7 years or so. This just makes Disney fans seem like a bunch of whiney batches that are never satisfied. Yes there is a lot that can be done, but they have time. I for one am stoked to see what it looks like in 2012, and more so to see what it looks like in 2025.
    thank you x2.

• Banned User

I shall echo the above sentiments and say this:

Disney doesn't have to do this, you know. It could continue to add minor attractions for minor and short-lived attendance gains, but it doesn't have to spend over a billion dollars on redoing key sections of the park. Not to mention parks like Walt Disney Studios deserve a bit more attention at the moment.

Amen! Thank you!

I completely agree. We're lucky all of this is coming in one huge push. I have a very optimistic stance on this, as I stated earlier.

• Minion

I'm really just excited they are trying to do anything at all.

• Senior Minion

I don't understand why Disney wouldn't go forward with phase two. DCA is the best place for DLR expansion to take place and essential so that Disney can increase its profits in Anaheim. DLR as a whole and DCA specifically is pretty clearly one of Disney's highest priorities for growth in the US. I think some sort of phase two is almost certain to happen. DLR needs to become a resort that demands longer stays and making DCA a must see full day park is step one.

I expect phase one to generate the amount of visits the sharp pencil boys need to see to greenlight phase two. Doing this work, in a sense, is something that Disney does need to do. Corporations stock value is very much tied to their ability to show continued groth in profit and the best way to do that in Anaheim is by improving and growing the capacity of DCA.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Now 40% less bitter!

As long as DCA builds anything after phase I, we can call that phase II.
    Bring on the redo!
    Oo-de-lally!

Quote Originally Posted by disneyland255 View Post
    I'm really just excited they are trying to do anything at all.
    Absolutely! Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Walt Jr. View Post
    This is the last off topic thing I am going to say!

The point of Flying over Neverland is that you are supposed to be Peter Pan and the Darling Children. In Nemo, you are an impartial observer who has no part in the story.

On Topic:

If DCA is going to let those ugly shop fronts stay, then they really need a reality check.
    I do not think thats correct. Why because from the beginning of the attraction you are introduced as a third person entering and environment of neverland. Peter Pan is one of the first characters you see.

The only attraction that was built with the guest as the main character was snow white and that later changed by adding her in the attraction.

Nemo follows the same pattern as Peter Pan. not long after you enter the attraction you are introduced into Nemo's environment and then soon after introduced to the character as a participant.

Newer additions to DCA like Monsters, toy Story Midway Mania and the soon to be built Mermaid and CarsLAnd also follow that same pattern. You as a guest are introduced into a diferent environment and soon after introduced to the characters of that invironment

• I'm not really here

Thank you Mojave and Uncle Bob for saying exactly what I would have said.

This is unprecedented. NEVER before has this been done. We are not merely lucky, we are Lucky with a capital L.

And if Phase I pulls of half of what we hope it will, Disney will most likely approve some form of Phase II. The better Phase I does, the better Phase II will be. The economy doesn't really matter at all in this equation. Economies rise and fall like the tides. We're in a downturn. No one can really say how long/short it will be. Economists can't even predict tomorrow. But long term, they can say with 100% certainty, it will go up again. Phase I is a very long term oriented project that has pretty good short term benefits as well. Phase I really lays the ground work, the foundations for TRUE future expansion of the resort. This is prep work for everything and anything that is to come, not just in 4 years after Phase I wraps up completely... but a decade out, 2 decades out.

If this were merely a short term, quick fix, bandaid kind of thing, we would definitely not see the level of detail or $$$ going into things. RSR would cost 1/2 of it's current $300,000,000.00. TLM would have static figures instead of numerous AAs (Ariel's HAIR being considered a separate AA). This is truly a project that is building a solid base on which to further build in the future. This is only the beginning. Mark my words.

Skepticism reasons, pessimism assumes. Let's be skeptics, not pessimists.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    Thank you Mojave and Uncle Bob for saying exactly what I would have said.

This is unprecedented. NEVER before has this been done. We are not merely lucky, we are Lucky with a capital L.

And if Phase I pulls of half of what we hope it will, Disney will most likely approve some form of Phase II. The better Phase I does, the better Phase II will be. The economy doesn't really matter at all in this equation. Economies rise and fall like the tides. We're in a downturn. No one can really say how long/short it will be. Economists can't even predict tomorrow. But long term, they can say with 100% certainty, it will go up again. Phase I is a very long term oriented project that has pretty good short term benefits as well. Phase I really lays the ground work, the foundations for TRUE future expansion of the resort. This is prep work for everything and anything that is to come, not just in 4 years after Phase I wraps up completely... but a decade out, 2 decades out.

If this were merely a short term, quick fix, bandaid kind of thing, we would definitely not see the level of detail or $$$ going into things. RSR would cost 1/2 of it's current $300,000,000.00. TLM would have static figures instead of numerous AAs (Ariel's HAIR being considered a separate AA). This is truly a project that is building a solid base on which to further build in the future. This is only the beginning. Mark my words.

Skepticism reasons, pessimism assumes. Let's be skeptics, not pessimists.
    Thank you. I think that about sums it up. I had trouble wrapping my head around this thought, but you summed it up perfectly.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-28-2008, 08:09 PM
  2. 11-25-2008, 09:22 PM
  3. 11-18-2008, 10:23 PM
  4. 11-14-2008, 03:36 PM
  5. 11-12-2008, 08:56 PM
  6. 11-11-2008, 07:46 AM
  7. 10-28-2008, 08:36 AM
  8. 10-26-2008, 12:29 AM
  9. 10-21-2008, 08:46 PM
  10. 10-21-2008, 05:52 PM
  11. 10-20-2008, 06:24 PM