Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Buena Vista St. & Red Car

Re: imagine none of that urban sprawl around disneyland?

I do like the difference when going from the city(although in the Anaheim area around DL I dont really think dirt and etc..) to the magical reasort. saying that SoCal is all urban sprawl, well thats such a broad statement about Southern California I think. Up here in the high desert we have out big cities but there is still a LOT of opn space. The LA area has the San Gabriel Mountains and then the Inland Empire has more open areas then on may think. Is COASTAL SoCal pretty packed...for sure but there are plenty of pockets of openess still there.

If Disneyland was surrounded by open areas like the Magic Kingdom at Disneyworld is, I highly doubt it would look as nice. There wouldn't be any lakes or trees, but would be more brown grass if anything.

I like how Disneyland is now, I don't think Disneyland would be quite the same if it wasn't as built up.

• =)

Quote Originally Posted by DaAlCh View Post
    If Disneyland was surrounded by open areas like the Magic Kingdom at Disneyworld is, I highly doubt it would look as nice. There wouldn't be any lakes or trees, but would be more brown grass if anything.
    ...but what about the orange groves that filled Anaheim for so many years?

Those orange trees had a purpose for being there. They were used for business which would collapse if they were not there. They money those trees made offset the money the farmers spent keeping them alive.

I don't see Disney willing to put forth the money to irrigate an entire forest around disneyland for several hundred yards (probably more) in every direction. If they needed to have a large space like that used for 'emptyness,' it would be filled with succulents or grass. The Los Angeles basin just doesn't have the climate to have a forest, or grasslands that are green all year, and it would be fiscally impractical to maintain one.

• Minion

WDW will always benefit by the way the land was bought up, while Disneyland is destined to always have an urban element to it at this point.
    I do think it has improved a great deal though and will continue to do so.
    When the park was built it certainly was more rural. I see aerial shots of OC back in the 40s and 50s, and it is no wonder that so many people wanted to live here.
    No, there weren't lakes and a lot of lush trees. But the area, nestled between the mountains and the ocean, possessing what is arguably the best climate in the nation is a great area.
    Even though the urban element has run amok in the areas surrounding Disneyland, I still feel that it doesn't alter the magic that Disneyland embodies. In fact, I don't feel any more of a magical experience at WDW than I do at Disneyland. Actually I think I probably feel more magic at DL, truth be told. It's more intimate. Less overwhelming. It's the original.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

To my way of thinking, the area around the "resort" is ten times nicer than what I remember of the Disneyland I grew up with in the 1960's and 1970's.

Walt spent every last dime on the park, and couldn't really control the sprawl of hotels and cheap motels that sprang up around it...something I assume he wanted to avoid, when he bought the mass of essentially swamp land in Florida.

-- Barry

EDIT: Just wanted to add that I do miss the old "Watergate" motel at the corner of Ball and West (now Disneyand Drive). Never stayed there, just alwys got a kick out of it.
    Last edited by Radiobarry; 10-11-2008 at 07:07 PM.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• =)

Those orange trees had a purpose for being there. They were used for business which would collapse if they were not there. They money those trees made offset the money the farmers spent keeping them alive.

I don't see Disney willing to put forth the money to irrigate an entire forest around disneyland for several hundred yards (probably more) in every direction. If they needed to have a large space like that used for 'emptyness,' it would be filled with succulents or grass. The Los Angeles basin just doesn't have the climate to have a forest, or grasslands that are green all year, and it would be fiscally impractical to maintain one.
    Fair enough.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

The Los Angeles basin just doesn't have the climate to have a forest, or grasslands that are green all year, and it would be fiscally impractical to maintain one.
    You'd be surprised at how lush some of the natural landscapes in Southern California can be.
    The Anaheim area would have had lots of grassland and chapparal, but due to the Santa Ana River naturally meandering through the area there would have also been large trees such as willows, sycamores, and oaks as well. One can still see these trees within a 20 minute drive from the DLR.

Of course when Disneyland was built, this natural vegetation had all but disappeared to make way for farmland anyway.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12