Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Sock Puppet

how would the disneyland resort be if Paul Pressler wasn't president?

How would the Disneyland Resort be if Paul Pressler didn't take control of the Disneyland Resort in the late 1990's and 2000's?

• Special Agent

Re: how would the disneyland resort be if Paul Pressler wasn't president?

Most likely it would be exactly the same as we see it today. Maybe a little worse off or a little better - but not by much.

• =)

Depends entirely on who was running things instead.

• Senior Minion

If Eisner had still been running the company, there would have been no significant difference. His taste in managers, like his taste in business philosophy and entertainment, colored everything the company did -- primarily by his choice of executives. If not Paul, Disneyland would have been run by a near clone.

Hint: look at the executives that Michael put in charge of Animation during that same period... the projects that they and he greenlit... and the manner in which the projects were managed.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 10-13-2008 at 05:57 PM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Following the Second Star

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    Depends entirely on who was running things instead.
    Exactly. We can say "What if he was never there?" but that doesn't make it so there was never anyone like him

Cammie Dog: 3/27/05-6/28/09 God took you way too soon Protect your dog from heat stroke. It attacks and kills quickly.

• Vasooki-land Owner

Well, there is not enough info. What if someone who decided to get rid of all the rides, and turn the park into an hotel? Then these two would look like a blessing.
    We are currently imagineeing a new attraction for you!

Please enjoy all the other attractions in fabulicious Vasooki-land!

All i have to say is , thank God for Matt Ouimet!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by disneyboi92 View Post
    How would the Disneyland Resort be if Paul Pressler didn't take control of the Disneyland Resort in the late 1990's and 2000's?
    Well, there would be only one park, no DCA, no Downtown Disney, and no Grand Californian hotel.

Love him or hate him, it was Pressler who orchestrated and got approval for the largest investment in Disneyland's history. It was his track record, credibility with Eisner and the board, and business model he sold to corporate that funded the expansion. Can you imagine if the current "president" tried to sell that?

You can hate the creative, hate the result of the capital spend, etc. but you can't say he didn't get the company to invest in the property.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by rgrant999 View Post
    Well, there would be only one park, no DCA, no Downtown Disney, and no Grand Californian hotel.
    And that's a bad thing?
    Last edited by DisneyIPresume; 10-14-2008 at 06:29 PM.

• "I Break Things"

You can hate the creative, hate the result of the capital spend, etc. but you can't say he didn't get the company to invest in the property.
    But at what cost?
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Senior Minion

Love him or hate him, it was Pressler who orchestrated and got approval for the largest investment in Disneyland's history.
    Paul had squat to do with the expansion. That was Michael and TDB.

Paul didn't get the company to invest in the property, he aggressively strip mined the property, from maintenance to wages to attractions, to increase profits.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• =)

The Grand Californian was well done. I'll give the Pressler regime that. But DCA? It's been a failure, more or less. They're literally spending more now on trying to get it up to par than they spent to build the place. An investment is only a good thing if it's a...good investment. And Downtown Disney...well, I don't have the figures on how much it brings in, but the word of mouth isn't too good. I've never talked to anyone in person who told me that they just loved DTD as a hangout spot and as a place to buy stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    The Grand Californian was well done. I'll give the Pressler regime that. But DCA? It's been a failure, more or less. They're literally spending more now on trying to get it up to par than they spent to build the place. An investment is only a good thing if it's a...good investment. And Downtown Disney...well, I don't have the figures on how much it brings in, but the word of mouth isn't too good. I've never talked to anyone in person who told me that they just loved DTD as a hangout spot and as a place to buy stuff.
    Did I say any of the investments were good or bad? Did I say the creative was good or bad? Did I say the park is better off with these investments or without?

I simply stated that without Pressler there would not have been this huge investment over this time period - that is all. That is the direct answer to the OP's question.

For the other person who said Pressler had nothing to do with the expansion getting funded, well, that is just not correct.
    Last edited by rgrant999; 10-14-2008 at 07:30 PM.

• "I Break Things"

rgrant999 I think a lot of people specifically on these boards have an extremely unfavorable opinion of Pressler, and to some extent Eisner. In that context anything that could be perceived as a positive decision is usually met with harsh criticism. Personally I am thankful for the expansion of DCA, and more specifically the Grand Californian. Pressler's profit margin laden "record" was definately a major factor in the decision to invest a large amount of money in the resort. However those large profits came at a cost, and the same knife that cut other budgets in order to up the profits quickly cut deep into DCA as well. About the only thing to escape the cuts, was the Grand Californian, and that was because it was seen as something people would spend money on. So in the end, IMHO, it was a tradeoff. We were given more, but now have to invest a substantially larger amount to correct the manner in which the resort was maintained and expanded.

There is no telling what would have happened if Pressler had never been in that position. It would be the same as asking what if Walt was around, or what if Wells hadn't died. I honestly think the loss of Wells was the single greatest creative loss in the company since Walt himself. Wells and Eisner were seen as the new Walt and Roy. Without creativity it is all business, and without business creativity has no capital. The loss of such a creative individual has had a tremendous impact on the resort, and the company as a whole.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• =)

Did I say any of the investments were good or bad? Did I say the creative was good or bad? Did I say the park is better off with these investments or without?
    Did I say you did?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast