Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Sock Puppet

imagine disneyland as big as wdw?

Imagine disneyland big as wdw?

• Following the Second Star

Re: imagine disneyland as big as wdw?

No thank you. I like Disneyland because its small. Adding more and more would just be too much.

Cammie Dog: 3/27/05-6/28/09 God took you way too soon Protect your dog from heat stroke. It attacks and kills quickly.

• Banned User

Weirder and weirder...

• formerly PretzelSouls!

Nooo thank you. I like Disneyland like it is...going from opening to close hurts my legs already, no need to add more walking!
    "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined." -Henry David Thoreau

That makes my head hurt.

The reason Disneyland is so special is precisely because it is small and compact and the Imagineers have to really think when they add and change things.

• E T1CK3T

I second, third, and fourth those sentiments. Disneyland is quaint, charming, and homely, not large and sprawling. That's the way I like it. :oD

• Sock Puppet

Personally, I don't think it'll EVER be as big as WDW, but like the others say, I like it just the way it is. I think the improvement on California Adventure will be a good thing. Didn't they say long ago that it was going to be called Westcot?

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Disneyland will never be as big as WDW. However, it is going to continue to grow. Downtown Disney, California Adventure, a proposed 3rd park, possible purchase of Garden Walk, many new hotels and vacation club units, a possible boutique park, West Coast cruise line, possible purchase of Sea World San Diego . . . would all grow the Disneyland Resort's influence far beyond what it is today. In time, Disneyland could actually pull in more revenue for the Disney company than Disney World does.

I'm not afraid of a bigger Disneyland Resort, I think it could be a very good thing for Disneyland. More money means more rides and enhancements.

-Dusty
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• =)

Are we talking Disneyland vs. Magic Kingdom or Disneyland Resort vs. Walt Disney World? My opinions are quite different.

I'd rather not have Disneyland the size of the Magic Kingdom. Its size works well. That's not to say I'm glad there's so little room for adding new attractions without removing existing stuff, but the actual walking distances and scale of the park are very nice, methinks. I basically have not set foot in the Magic Kingdom at WDW, so I can't say firsthand what I'd think of it, but based on everything I've learned about it from photos and personal accounts and so forth...I think I'd appreciate the expansiveness in some areas, but overall, DL's charm just does it for me.

However, I see nothing wrong with having the whole resort be larger, provided that all the offerings are of high quality. Unfortunately, the Disneyland Resort offers neither quality nor quantity outside of Disneyland, and that's ostensibly not the case for WDW. So yes, I would indeed enjoy more of that.

Quote Originally Posted by disneyboi92 View Post
    um ...why?

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

If Disneyland was as big as Disneyworld, then they'd have to kinda clue people in in the advertisements.

Visit Walt Disney World.... or our equally huge cash cow: Disneyland World!

One thing's for certain... if Disneyland did grow to be that size, it will be waaaay better.

Oh yes. I went there. Let the mudslinging begin. (I think there's enough evidence that it would be better. location of the executives and management, number of local support, WEATHER, closer proximity parks... much easier to park hop, etc etc)

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Super Duper!

Quote Originally Posted by disneyboi92 View Post
    You really like hypothetical situations, don't you?

Umm... DL park? No. I don't want it quite that big. A little bigger, sure. But NOWHERE near as big as MK.

As for the Resort, sure, I'll take more quality Disney property and products.

• =)

I thought I should interject that reports of the differing sizes of the MK and DL are almost always exaggerated. The Magic Kingdom takes up a larger chunk of land, yes, but the walking distances really aren't significantly different. Check out these two aerial photos. They're at the exact same scale. Notice that you walk the exact same distance from the entrance to the castle...and Toontown is actually further at DL...and the different placements of ROA make the west side walking routes more direct at the MK...

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Yah, basically... there's less to do at MK so it FEELS like you're walking further.

But Epcot and Animal Kingdom... holy geez those parks are huge.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    Are we talking Disneyland vs. Magic Kingdom or Disneyland Resort vs. Walt Disney World? My opinions are quite different.
    It could be either. If we're talking about the resorts, while there certainly are advantages to having so much space, even if only for the sense of scale it provides to really set it apart from the outside world, I've never had a problem with the limited space at DLR. It's just different--instead of a faraway land, it's kind of an oasis with a remarkable sense of contrast against its surroundings, which is a pretty neat effect in itself. Actually, I prefer the old days when the outside world didn't fade away until I walked through the entrance tunnels under the railroad tracks, but I suppose that the current arrangement with the larger resort surrounding the park is alright, now that I'm used to it (it's just a bigger oasis).

I'd rather not have Disneyland the size of the Magic Kingdom. Its size works well.
    Actually, the Magic Kingdom is not that much larger than Disneyland in the latter's current form, judging by satellite views. Many of the figures for Disneyland's acreage that I've come across are outdated or do not include the large amount of attraction space located outside of Disneyland's railroad tracks, which themselves have been moved outward on at least two occasions. For the most part, it seems that the two parks are scaled differently in different areas, and that Disneyland devotes proportionally more space to attractions while the Magic Kingdom has more area for people to roam around in.

That's not to say I'm glad there's so little room for adding new attractions without removing existing stuff, but the actual walking distances and scale of the park are very nice, methinks.
    Yeah, although it does have some dead ends, overall the park's layout is highly efficient, while avoiding gross clashes of theme and presenting a compact yet uncluttered arrangement of areas and attractions. If it were any looser, then you'd have to walk farther, and if it were much tighter, then it might begin to resemble modern-day Knott's Berry Farm (fun park but what an unfortunate mess!).

I basically have not set foot in the Magic Kingdom at WDW, so I can't say firsthand what I'd think of it, but based on everything I've learned about it from photos and personal accounts and so forth...I think I'd appreciate the expansiveness in some areas, but overall, DL's charm just does it for me.
    Honestly, although funding initially limited what Walt could do quite severely, I don't think that he intended Disneyland to be imposing in any way, hence the scale of the buildings/facades and the use of relatively small steam locomotives (although they are basically full-scale, narrow-gauge engines of small but normal types). I'm not sure what he specifically envisioned for the Magic Kingdom (it's funny typing this because "Magic Kingdom" was an early nickname for Disneyland and still is in some announcements) in this regard before he passed away; maybe he wanted everything to be larger (wouldn't be surprised since differentiation is important), or maybe the company went against some of his wishes (wouldn't be surprised here, either).

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    Yah, basically... there's less to do at MK so it FEELS like you're walking further.
    Right, while Disneyland is somewhat less efficient than the Magic Kingdom with regard to walking distances due to the nature of its expansion and some attractions being in the way of more direct routes, overall it is more efficient in terms of the number of attractions per the distance walked.
    Last edited by Robert Cook; 10-15-2008 at 10:54 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast