Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast

• "I Break Things"

Re: First Look At the Blue Sky Cellar at California Adventure

we would know for sure but Disney banned the good camera lens so we will have to stand there in person to figure it out.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Mrs. J. Depp

Yep its a green Sulley. Why he has a net I have no clue.

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    I believe that is Randall holding Boo holding a net.
    It's a green Randall, holding a net. The reason it looks funny is because his right arm is up, kind of curved, which makes it look like either an alligator head or Boo.

• The one, the only...

While I love seeing all that has been talked about in pictures and models, there still seems to be thematic problems that I feel are being swept under the rug.

The Monorail is still going through a 1920's setting. How does that make sense? How would people feel if there was a Monorail track going through Main Street? After all the time period is not that different, Main Street about 1910 and this street being 1925ish.

And what period is the new Hollywood street going to be? I would like to be more like 1930 to 1940. That is a lot more interesting as to details like music, fashion, and automobiles. I hope that they firmly place Hollywood street a little later so that it better matches the Tower of Terror.

I love the Red Cars though!! I hope there is a couple 1920's vehicles to really place that area in the right time period. How can you do Los Angeles and not have any cars in the street?
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by JiminyCricketFan View Post
    The Monorail is still going through a 1920's setting. How does that make sense? How would people feel if there was a Monorail track going through Main Street? After all the time period is not that different, Main Street about 1910 and this street being 1925ish.
    Just pretend you live in the future and this street is a preservation project Futuristic transportation passing over preserved 1920s era buidings

And what period is the new Hollywood street going to be? I would like to be more like 1930 to 1940. That is a lot more interesting as to details like music, fashion, and automobiles. I hope that they firmly place Hollywood street a little later so that it better matches the Tower of Terror.
    From what has been said in past updates, it will be called Hollywoodland and themed to the 30s era when the Hollywood sign still had the "land" on it. This will tie it to the Tower much better.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Walt Disney Fan

I can't wait to see this!

Most of the info I arleady knew about but I love seeing the drawings and models.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

While I love seeing all that has been talked about in pictures and models, there still seems to be thematic problems that I feel are being swept under the rug.

I love the Red Cars though!! I hope there is a couple 1920's vehicles to really place that area in the right time period. How can you do Los Angeles and not have any cars in the street?

I know this has bothered many in WDI as well. But ultimately... how else could they have done it? I guess re-routing the monorail was out of the question considering all the problems they've been having with it.

This i guess is the best middle ground. You don't see the monorail all that often so what you DO see there most of the time is a bridge in grand Los Angeles fashion.

I can ignore that. I have bigger fish...er... BUGS to fry.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    Ah, yes. I looked it up, and it's definitely a very strong resemblance. No way we can argue that it's un-Californiaish, or inappropriate to the period or anything. My only concern is the visual styles themselves...they don't appear to mesh well in the concept art. Disneyland uses the exact same style for the entrance turnstyles as it does for the first land you enter, and I wonder why DCA - or whatever it's gonna be - couldn't receive the same consistent sort of treatment.
    The Carthay Circle Theatre opened in 1926 and was still around when the Pan Pacific Auditorium opened in 1935 and both are a perfect fit thematically since California architecture has always been a montage of styles and periods.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Wondering also if in addition to the Red Car, if they are planning on any Streetmosphere to this new "Main Street", a sort of Dapper Dans for DCA. Even DCA originally had the band that traveled in a woody with a trailer flat with their equipment - they have been missing for a number of years, but were certainlly one of the main entertainment in DCA . . . .

Chance to Shine also offered streetmosphere entertainment - but there is nothing now.

• Senior Minion

I'm sure at least once Cars Land opens there will be a big push to add a lot more streetmosphere, entertainment, and life in general, in that critical time while they'll really be pushing to make a new image for the park and hopefully create good word of mouth.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• враг народа

Blog Entries

The Disney-MGM Studios is home to some very good streetmosphere. These types of characters would fit in very well on both Buena Vista Street and Hollywood once the rebuilds are completed. Buena Vista Street also adds a lot of possibilities for more streetmosphere characters.

• "I Break Things"

I thought about this, and here is my take on the new entrance and the pitch of "Main Street 2.0"

I appreciate the Art Deco style however I appreciate that they want to make a splash. I think the intentions are great, but the execution with be chaos. Personally I think that they should have used a true Southern California landmark as their model... Union Station. Using a modified version of Union Station would have provided the perfect gate, while blocking the majority of the contents within. It also would have added the perfect backdrop when you walk up Main Street 2.0 and then look back. They already have the classic LA Bridge... why not complete it. Most importantly, a Union Station would provide theme, and not be nearly as jarring as going from Art Deco to Mission style.

I really do not think the Monorail will be as jarring as others think it will be. The new monorail designs are reminiscent of sleek car designs that have their origins in the late 30's and early 40's. As much as I would appreciate specific shops, I have little doubt that this street will mirror it's older cousin and be a glorified shopping mall of mass produced crap. Well at least the facades will look nice. If I had to place a specific time period on Main Street 2.0 I would say mid to late 30's, with Hollywood taking over in the 40's...

The Theater provides the perfect bridge between Hollywood and LA. The Big Red Car will likely be the highlight of both areas. I'd imagine they will be slightly larger then the current horse carts (which ironically were the birth of the LA Trolley system). The obvious choice of the Hollywood Car is a major plus on an overall letdown.

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    I'm sure at least once Cars Land opens there will be a big push to add a lot more streetmosphere, entertainment, and life in general, in that critical time while they'll really be pushing to make a new image for the park and hopefully create good word of mouth.
    They generally add talent with the addition of major attractions or lands, then scale it back in the months that follow. If you look around you can probably find plenty of pictures of everything that opened with Indy (from mechanics, to archaeologists, to exotic animals) and likewise everything that appeared with Tarzan's opening. The sad reality is that Disney doesn't maintain this talent, and in many cases the talent is not popular enough to justify a prolonged budget.

• =)

As far as the monorail issue goes...it kinda comes with the territory. The monorail is only really appropriate in Tomorrowland, the land it technically belongs to, yet its use as actual transportation necessitates travel beyond. Can't actively retheme the monorail dozens or hundreds of times each day..can't design something that fits the world of tomorrow, early-20th-century Los Angeles, Downtown Disney, and a Swiss mountain...so that leaves two options:

* Accept the unfortunate juxtapositions that result from previous decisions.
    * Enclose the track so it's not visible outisde Tomorrowland.

I hate thematic disruptions, but this is one case in which door #1 is my choise.

• Banned User

So.. with all the excitement and buzz about this, who is going on monday to see the "premiere" so to speak of the refurb models, and such?

Anybody...???

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast