Page 1 of 13 123411 ... LastLast

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

First Look At the Blue Sky Cellar at California Adventure

MiceChat has posted a review of the new Walt Disney Imagineering Blue Sky Cellar at Disney’s California Adventure park which was previewed for the Media this morning.

View the review on our front page HERE: http://micechat.com/disneyland-news/california-adventure-fix/

Then let us know what you think about all of the proposed changes.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• formerly PretzelSouls!

Re: First Look At the Blue Sky Cellar at California Adventure

I like the new changes, I'm looking forward to them!
    "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined." -Henry David Thoreau

• Disney Geek

I like the changes.

• potterday.org

Thanks for posting this.

I'm particularly intrigued by the parachute drop attraction (which would theoretically be in place of the Maliboomer). I'm 100% for the installation of such a ride, but the last I read this idea was somewhat poo-poo'ed (despite Lasseter's nostalgic attachment to Knott's paracute ride) due to litigious worries.

Something I don't know?
    Zoe Necrosis
    Chancellor, Yensid's School of Sorcery and Necromancy

Potter Day Lite: Spring 2013!

http://potterday.org

• =)

Thanks for posting this. Hmmmm...overall, my feelings about the refurb are about the same as they were, or perhaps just slightly better. I certainly appreciate the Victorian theming in Paradise Pier, and Cars Land looks like it'll be every bit as expansive and amazing to experience as I've been expecting. The new entrance looks like it'll be absolutely wonderful, though I gotta say...without much historical knowledge, the turnstyles look out of place to me. They look more like something out of the 50s. But like I said...my knowledge is limited. Maybe they're more appropriate than they look.

Still, the big issues for me are:

* "Cars Land" - why not "Radiator Springs"?
    * Thematic appropriateness - most of the changes will not strengthen the California theme. With the exception of the fabulous entrance, they're attempting to turn DCA into a Fantasyland-with-some-California-elements park. Doesn't make much sense to me.
    * Paradise Pier will still fundamentally be an area themed to an unthemed area, albeit one that's prettier and is more obviously linked to Disney.

It will be an improvement, for sure. But I don't see how it'll lay the groundwork for further improvement in the future...the thematic mess is mind-boggling.

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    The new entrance looks like it'll be absolutely wonderful, though I gotta say...without much historical knowledge, the turnstyles look out of place to me.
    I would agree with you, except for one thing...

Anyone else notice the similarities here?

It seems that Management is intent on turning DCA into DHH West. *sigh*

• =)

Oh boy. Could someone please tell me I'm wrong, and that those turnstyle structures are actually appropriate to the period? I'd really like to be off the mark on this one, even if they are practically a direct lift.

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    Oh boy. Could someone please tell me I'm wrong, and that those turnstyle structures are actually appropriate to the period? I'd really like to be off the mark on this one, even if they are practically a direct lift.
    Sorry, I was going to put that in my first post, but forgot to. My fault.

I think it is appropriate to the period. It's done in the Art Deco style, which peaked in popularity during the late 20s and early 30s. It's not really distinctly Californian, but it does fit the Time Frame of Buena Vista Street.

• Vasooki-land Owner

I think I will realy miss the orange. Hmph. I dunno why, but I think Paradise Pier is fine as is. -.- If they so much as touch CA Screamin, I will shoot them.
    We are currently imagineeing a new attraction for you!

Please enjoy all the other attractions in fabulicious Vasooki-land!

• "I Break Things"

Ahh, already posted in another thread. I am grateful they are actually working on this but questionable about the content. I'll start with the Paradise Pier since that is what is closest to my heart (I honestly love the beach and boardwalks) Here goes...

I am glad I was right about the Barnstormer (or more precisely the cartoon episode it is based on... since they even included the cartoon of Goofy in one of the concepts!) However I worry about the execution. In Hindsight (or if you prefer since it hasn't happened yet foresight) I would rather have a Goofy Surfing School which would complete the beach theme. There is a holiday episode, and most of that episode focuses on Goofy surfing, complete with old style bathing suit! I am also concerned because the concept did not appear to have anything in the way of actual three dimensional characters, only cutouts.

I am really excited that the Carousel in the concept has an actual structure and the "temporary" look is completely done away with. I have argued for a while that it should have been done similar to many Victorian style carousel buildings, with one exception, a covered interior roof like King Aurthur's.

The Sunwheel was a given, it was only a matter of time before someone figured out that the rotating wheel and rays matched perfectly with the classic Mickey episode openings. I would hope that they would also scale back the color scheme of the cars, possibly using yellow, red, and orange... or a similar combination.

Screamin seems to be a mixed bag. I am ABSOLUTELY thirlled that the Mickey ears are leaving. I also like the new rocks. There was only a fleeting shot of the queue but it was enough to give the impression of a Victorian theme as well. This would be wonderful, since it would erase the "hotrod" image it currently has (look at the style of the queue and the Fastpass machines if you don't believe me). However if they don't give the cars a new paint job then the effort would be for nothing. I also noticed that the model did not have the current tubes... and the concept showed a similar structure in red. One can only hope that they are doing something better then the current "wave" tubes. I realize they buffer sound, but they look like crap.

The new swings look nice. Actually they look like what Knott's has. I'm sure there will be some Disney magic though. The new chutes look interesting, but the military color scheme means that if it happens it will be Pixar! Too bad since an "Around the World in 80 Days" style balloon theme would be spot on to both the time period, and the overall theme. And the games, what boardwalk would be complete without games. Finally Disney has a chance to take all the classic cartoons out of the vault and make them count... I LOVE that they used the baseball cartoon! Goofy fishing, on the other hand, would be more appropriate to GRR or the challenge trail.

More then anything I have one major complaint. Where are the bumper cars? Once again we are left without actual seaside bumper cars. We have one in the gift shop, but the closest we can come to riding them is a kiddie bug version. With all the removal, expansion, and renovation you would think someone would pop that question. Also one minor complaint, according to the concept drawing they are keeping the "world's most expensive wind tester" as Fish likes to put it... why? it looks great but it is a horrible design that is basically useless in California weather!
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Goofy's Sky School is actually more disappointing to me out of everything! That's just odd to me how they still left it alone as the same old ride but with prettier facades in front.
    Last edited by Coheteboy; 10-15-2008 at 09:07 PM.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Walt Disney Fan

I can't wait to see it. That's the first thing i'm going to see when I walk into DCA next time I go

• Keep Moving Forward

Quote Originally Posted by glendalais89 View Post
    I would agree with you, except for one thing...

Anyone else notice the similarities here?

It seems that Management is intent on turning DCA into DHH West. *sigh*
    Yeah, I noticed that right off the bat too. I actually like the style itself and I think it fits pretty well, but why does it have to be a clone of Hollywood Studios? I'd prefer something more original.

My other issue is Paradise Pier. It looks like we're mostly just getting more carnival rides. Granted, better themed carnival rides, but you can only theme a parachute drop so far.

• Banned User

I love the new turnstiles, even if they are from DHS!

Page 1 of 13 123411 ... LastLast