Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

•   
    • Dept. 41 and Club 55

Lincoln at 200: time for his return to Disneyland?

So February 12, 2009 is Abraham Lincoln's 200th birthday. Is there any rumors or possibility that Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln might return to the Disneyland Opera House, in honor of that anniversary? Or will TDA just stay locked up in their ivory tower and turn a blind eye to America? Since the whole world is getting into Disneyland for free on their birthday, why not make the birthday of our greatest president an event to celebrate too?

• Shablagoo!

Re: Lincoln at 200: time for his return to Disneyland?

I support this. C'mon Disney, return Lincoln for his 200th birthday.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by Sosai X View Post
    Or will TDA just stay locked up in their ivory tower and turn a blind eye to America?
    This is a real shame with the way Disneyland is run today. And I think they should bring patriotism back as a way of celbrating the park.

Lincoln, America Sings, America On Parade, America the Beautiful, American Journeys, the Eagle float in the MSEP, the homage to America at the end of Fantasy in the Sky.

At one time you could do all of this in one day. Now, they've gotten rid of Lincoln and everything else on this list. They've stripped the park of everything that was great about America. They've even added Pinocchio and a dragon to the Rivers of America. Wait a second -- that's what they call that body of water? Oh who cares -- Let's add pirates to it while we're at it.

And these people have the audacity to add an American portion to IASW.

Lincoln is needed back, badly.

I think it would be wonderful to have Lincoln back for his "celebration"

• The one, the only...

I would love to see Lincoln return BUT...

1) I would prefer the original speech that Lincoln gave. It was much more inspiring.

2) I want a state of the art Animatronic Figure, not a just a 1980's version.

3) I would love to add a question and answer time using the same technology of the Turtle Talk, having kids ask questions of Lincoln. It would add some variety to the experience. Even having Lincoln tell one of his classic humorous stories might be fun too.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

Quote Originally Posted by JiminyCricketFan View Post
    I would love to see Lincoln return BUT...

1) I would prefer the original speech that Lincoln gave. It was much more inspiring.

3) I would love to add a question and answer time using the same technology of the Turtle Talk, having kids ask questions of Lincoln. It would add some variety to the experience. Even having Lincoln tell one of his classic humorous stories might be fun too.
    Your number three is an awesome idea. I never would have thought of it but how cool would it be to have this. It probably wouldnt work everyday, but when schools came on field trips they could stop by with Mr. Lincolnand ask questions to get at least a little teeny tiny bit of education from their field trip... Awesomness!! The teacher in me is billowing with excitment!!!!!!! <----wow i never realized how lame I was until this moment... oh well!

I too support the return of Lincoln and you have some great ideas JiminyCricketFan. I like going into the Opera House but the 50th anniversary film got old after the first time I saw it. Lincoln I could watch over and over again and it's a great place to get away on crowded days. Bring Abe back!
    A little bit about me...
    First Disneyland Trip: Oct. 1989
    Mandatory first ride: POTC
    Mandatory food: Clam chowder in bread bowl & a churro (not at the same time though)
    Next trip goals:
    1) Ride the Casey Jr. Circus Train. I didn't get around to it on this past trip.
    2) Get over to TSI.
    3) Try a jalapeńo/cheese pretzel. Yummy!

• I'm not really here

I agree with all 3 ideas, but this is the icing on the cake man! That is beautiful.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

This is a terrific idea! Isn't 2009 supposed to be the year of celebration? What birthday would be better to celebrate than the 200th of arguably our greatest president? I hope that somebody at Disney is reading this.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    This is a real shame with the way Disneyland is run today. And I think they should bring patriotism back as a way of celbrating the park.

Lincoln, America Sings, America On Parade, America the Beautiful, American Journeys, the Eagle float in the MSEP, the homage to America at the end of Fantasy in the Sky.
    Although not focused entirely on this country by any means, Disneyland is based so much on Americana and also presents it in such a way that patriotic celebrations have always seemed quite appropriate. I guess the bicentennial of 1776 is too long past now to keep milking, as Disney had been, but the bicentennial of Lincoln's birth is as good a reason to celebrate as any.

They've even added Pinocchio and a dragon to the Rivers of America.
    Uh, that's just for a show.

Wait a second -- that's what they call that body of water? Oh who cares -- Let's add pirates to it while we're at it.
    Are they going to change the name to the Gulf Of Aden? (that's where Somali pirates are currently running rampant )

And these people have the audacity to add an American portion to IASW.
    Yeah, that's really one place where the United States should NOT be prominently or disproportionately featured--it's ironic to the extreme and makes me wonder about Disney's sensibility in general. Are they OK over there? Do they feel lightheaded or dizzy? Are their tongues coated and do they see spots before their eyes?

Hmmm...intriguing.... The special thing about Turtle Talk is that Crush is originally a CGI turtle, and that he shows up live in his most natural state, as opposed to an animatronic figure or puppet. With an animatronic figure of Lincoln, as you specified, they could simply rig a control harness for somebody to manipulate Lincoln directly, live, instead of through recorded movements or translation to CGI. It wouldn't be exactly the same technology, but it's still a pretty neat idea.
    Last edited by Robert Cook; 10-17-2008 at 12:36 PM.

• Minion

I would love to have Lincoln back. I miss him. It used to be the last thing I did before leaving the park.

I don't know how I'd feel about a question and answer session with Lincoln, it would have to be a pretty sharp person handling the q&a... I mean, it's one thing to have a turtle say dude and gnarley, it's another to have one of our greatest presidents handling questions from the peanut gallery I do love the idea, the execution would be really tough...

I do think the park could use a re-infusion of some Americana, I miss America Sings...

• Minion

Needs to be Walt's original show, Lincoln's original speech and WED's original set and costume and makeup and lighting design.

Everything done to this show since the early 80's has diminished it.

• Jerm is Food...Not Friend

About 5 min from where the Magic really started

Not that I put much faith in it, but the Burnbaums 2009 guide says he will be back some time in 09. Like i said, not much faith but at times more then some "insiders".
    Kungaloosh!

*END OF LINE*

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate Lover 68 View Post
    I don't know how I'd feel about a question and answer session with Lincoln, it would have to be a pretty sharp person handling the q&a...
    Obviously, especially if people ask his opinion about current events around the world. It would be wise to coordinate with a historical society that may be able to help locate somebody who is extremely well-versed in President Lincoln. That would be better than grabbing a random Cast Member, giving him a link to Wikipedia, and telling him not to embarrass the country.

I mean, it's one thing to have a turtle say dude and gnarley,
    Haven't you seen Bill And Ted's Excellent Adventure?

it's another to have one of our greatest presidents handling questions from the peanut gallery I do love the idea, the execution would be really tough...
    You just have to find the right person, which admittedly could be very difficult. And questions about current events could simply be deflected if necessary.

I do think the park could use a re-infusion of some Americana, I miss America Sings...
    Well, aside from elements that have always been a part of Disneyland, such as Frontierland and the Disneyland Railroad, most of the patriotic stuff, such as America Sings, came out of the bicentennial of 1776, which was in 1976 obviously enough--that was 32 years ago as of now. And people thought that the "Year" Of A Million Dreams dragged on too long....

• Oo-de-lally

I would love to see this happen
    Oo-de-lally, Oo-de-lally
    Golly, what a day

I do not know anyone who would not want to see this happen. Bring back President Lincoln please!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast