Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Mulholland Madness

Mulholland Madness generally gets a bad rap because it is a wild mouse coaster, and it is located in a Disney park. With the it's 'improvement' into Goofy's Sky School, it got me into think of how else they could make it more 'Disney.'

If think if they enclosed the coaster from below the first tracks on top of the ride, it would be a great opprotunity to make it a great dark ride. For example, they could have the 'Goofy's Sky School' theme to it, but be able to put audio animatronics of Goofy around the track in the lower parts of the coaster where there is a lot of room.

The story could be this, the ride starts going up the lift hill, where on the right side of the cars are Toy Story mania type screens, which would have Goofy trying to push his plane faster enough to be airborne. (He is Goofy) At the top of the coaster he suceeds and the cars begin their trip on top of the building etc. etc. Once you finish the switchbacks, you reenter the building, and you get several audio animatronic scenes inside the building (These would be over in the center of the coaster, where there are no tracks or machines) while you dive down and veer to the right and the left. Your flight finally ends on the final stretch of the coaster, where a rather relieved-if-haggard Goofy animatronic congradulates you on your flying.

If Disney took the concept of 'wild mouse coaster' and then enhanced it to become a mix of a dark ride as well, I think the ride would have a chance at being a really good 'attraction,' as well as a ride.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

• =)

Re: Mulholland Madness

I'd have infinitely more respect for the attraction if it were properly themed, but I don't think I could ever really enjoy it for the simple reason that its physical motions are unpleasant to me.

• "I Break Things"

I think a major drawback is that Disney toned it down so it isn't "wild enough" for wild mouse fans... but still too "wild" for those who don't like that genre.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Goofy

I love that coaster its so wild.

• formerly PretzelSouls!

Nice ideas. I don't think you could ever get me back on it though.
    "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined." -Henry David Thoreau

• Minion

Kind of cramped for a dark ride in my opinion.

• Keep Moving Forward

Quote Originally Posted by Light Mouse View Post
    Kind of cramped for a dark ride in my opinion.
    I'll second this. I love love love the idea, but I don't think it would, if you'll pardon the pun, fly. There's just not that much space.

• =)

And this, kids, is why we come up with an idea that we want to express in a theme park and then develop a ride system that supports it, instead of plopping the ride system into the park and assuming we can shoehorn a story into it later on.

EDIT: For clarification, I'm definitely not knocking your idea, DaAlCh. The comment was directed at Disney.
    Last edited by Datameister; 10-17-2008 at 10:06 PM.

• Senior Minion

All I'll say is that I hope the rumors of it being removed and replaced by a well themed flume ride are true.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

Thanks Datameister.

On the whole space thing, I was thinking of placing audio animatronics in the large, open area between the drops in the ride. There really isn't anything there, so I'm sure they could build something there.

• Oo-de-lally

This sounds cool
    Oo-de-lally, Oo-de-lally
    Golly, what a day

• Disney Geek

I like this idea. I haven't looked at the ride closely enough to see if it is possible.

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    And this, kids, is why we come up with an idea that we want to express in a theme park and then develop a ride system that supports it, instead of plopping the ride system into the park and assuming we can shoehorn a story into it later on.

EDIT: For clarification, I'm definitely not knocking your idea, DaAlCh. The comment was directed at Disney.
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    All I'll say is that I hope the rumors of it being removed and replaced by a well themed flume ride are true.
    I see a lot of potential, but not as a Sky School... as a Surf School. I am still trying to understand why they chose an airplane theme in a beach themed land. The rolling motion of the coaster lends itself easily to waves, and the surfing clip of Goofy is still extremely popular and memorable all these years later!

I've already posted about this in 2 other threads. After viewing the Blue Sky Cellar I am pretty confident that the attraction will be removed. Goofy's Sky School was all but ignored, having only a small concept drawing showing the exterior and a drawing of Goofy in an airplane on the map. CM's did not have any information on it, and kept directing me back to that sad little drawing. The simple fact that TSMM, which is open, and Boardwalk Games... let me repeat that an open attraction and games... received more attention and display space does not bode well for the coaster.

I think that the lack of attention, and the shoe-horned theme is evidence of how much of a "hot potato" the coaster is. My guess is that this is the assignment no one wants. That alone is sad, because a challenge used to be met head on with creativity.

• Senior Minion

I agree, I think they've made a decision to spend as little as possible on it because it's going to be one of the first things to go when phase 2 is approved. It probably could be made into something much better, and I've thought about ideas of how to do various things to "save" it, but I think it's better if they just replace it.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    I agree, I think they've made a decision to spend as little as possible on it because it's going to be one of the first things to go when phase 2 is approved. It probably could be made into something much better, and I've thought about ideas of how to do various things to "save" it, but I think it's better if they just replace it.
    The entire concept is "spend a little now so it looks bad and cross our fingers that we get the budget to get rid of it in phase 2". Care to guess what the excuse will be if they don't get the budget?... "Well it would have been this great thing but they cut our budget"... sound familiar?

I thought the lesson learned with DCA was that you work with what you have and do your best with the budget you have at the time. A budget is not a guarantee, and to bet on that money being there, and purposely build a crap overlay, is irresponsible. If this bet doesn't pay off then we are left with crap and excuses when it could have been addressed now. The Surf School would have been equally semi permanent, but likely a better thematic fit. Surf or Sky, WDI appears to be pulling a Houdini in hopes that no one else at the Blue Sky Cellar notices that one sad concept drawing... which is all Goofy really had... Watch for fingerpointing if that phase 2 budget gets cut and they can't "fix" Goofy's Sky School.
    Last edited by techskip; 10-19-2008 at 08:54 AM.

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast