Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• The one, the only...

Re: Country Bears VS Brother Bear

Quote Originally Posted by JChapinCP View Post
    Another thing to consider is the stereotype of country music. Really it does have, or at least the style of country music as demonstrated by CBJ does, a sense of not being "cool" by todays standards. I am not suggesting they adopt todays country/pop understanding of country music but pointing out another potential hinderance to a return of these beloved bears. If people think they dislike country music why would they attend such a show.

As I said above I hope CBJ is brought back for those of us who appreciate it for what it is and have fond memories of its presense in the park.

I understand your feelings. Country music is hated in the LA area. I am sure that is what prompted the Disney execs to change the music format in the Vacation version. But I think it is a mistake to count Country music out or pinpoint it as the problem in the show. I believe that the show failed because it was always the same show, not the music choice. Country music is the most popular music format in the nation. To have the bears do other types of music, would not fix the problem. Country music, at least the type in the show, invited the audience to stomp their feet and clap their hands. It was a participatory show. Many music formats don't lend themselves to allowing the audience to just let go and do funny things.

I really believe that Country music, with its own quirks and uniqueness, it the best way to go for the show.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• "I Break Things"

For anyone who didn't know about the Brother Bear show it's basically a kid's show about an apprentice shaman who is attending the unveiling ceremony for a new totem. In the course of the ceremony the apprentice finds out that the actual shaman will not be there and that they will have to do the ceremony with the help of the bears (forgot their names) and the audience. A child from the audience gets to help with the fire, and the audience is also asked to participate in waking up the totems by making animal noises when prompted. The majority of it is pretty mundane, but they have the moose talking as a double totem (which really reminds me of CBJ) and the eagle flaps it's wings in a very rudimentary fashion. The theater is tiny, so it usually fills up pretty fast. Not to come down hard on this show, but if it can make it then I am confident people would at least show up for Country Bear.

On a side note the newer show would have to be a great deal smaller to fit in that theater and a new stage with curtains would need to be built. The theater in it's current design is an outdoor amphitheater which works for the audience but would not work for the CBJ AA's. Also the music I was thinking of would likely be more bluegrass and mountain music which is currently played across from GRR. The close proximity to GRR and the need for a country/nature theme lend itself easily to CBJ. Also if the decision is made to theme that area (GRR and Redwood) to a specific time (possibly a mining theme) then again CBJ, and it's music, would fit within that constraint.
    Last edited by techskip; 10-21-2008 at 12:54 PM.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

I'd love to see Big Al sing "Achy Breaky Heart!" in his slow deep monotone voice (and with the Cyrus connection they have now, should be easy) -

But don't tell my heart, my achy breaky heart
    I just don't think it'd understand
    And if you tell my heart, my achy breaky heart
    He might blow up and kill this man

They had Dolly on the on Miley Montana, too! Get Dolly to do a song for a revived Country Bear Jamboree!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones View Post
    Is there a Brother Bear show at DCA (seriously)? I walked out of the movie in time to get a refund.

I'd dearly love to see Marc Davis' brilliant Country Bears characters return to Disneyland. And that location would work for me.
    Yeah, there is a Brother Bear based show that talks down to the guests. The show is plain awful and stupid, and so dumbed down! Any comparrison to Country Bear Jamboree is just an insult to the great cast of characters and the variety of personalities in CBJ. I am so sick of Disney thinking that they have to talk to entire audience in a way that even insults pre-schoolers. If you can stand to watch the show - I found a two part video on You Tube - Don't plan on being entertained, though. It's really painful - worse than waiting in the dentist office . . . consider yourself warned.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=http:...?v=64w_mKCi760

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=http:...eature=related

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    Yeah, there is a Brother Bear based show that talks down to the guests. The show is plain awful and stupid, and so dumbed down! Any comparrison to Country Bear Jamboree is just an insult to the great cast of characters and the variety of personalities in CBJ. I am so sick of Disney thinking that they have to talk to entire audience in a way that even insults pre-schoolers. If you can stand to watch the show - I found a two part video on You Tube - Don't plan on being entertained, though.
    My kids like it, but mainly because they got to meet/hug the bears in the end. Aside from that they were somewhat bored. I think they did half of the animal noises... really reminded me of Sesame St to be honest.

• Special Agent

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    Thinking about the reasons for the removal of Country Bear I stumbled upon one very interesting fact. A primary reason for the removal was the lack of individuals attending the show.
    In combination with the huge maintenance cost. It wasn't that few people were attending the show so much as it was that not enough people were attending to justify the huge cost.

I absolutely hated the Country Bears. I thought the show was pretty dumb and a lesser version of the Tiki Room show that was already playing in Adventureland. I wouldn't ever want this show to return.

But your idea does have some merit - a smaller theater might work - and maybe if they ditched the AA's and brought back the bears as projections it could work. A projected Bear show would also be easier and cheaper to switch out and replace unlike the AA shows.

Either that or just sell the plans to Knotts. They have a whole country music vibe over there. I doubt knott's would be able to pay the cost of operating the attraction though.

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    In combination with the huge maintenance cost. It wasn't that few people were attending the show so much as it was that not enough people were attending to justify the huge cost.

I absolutely hated the Country Bears. I thought the show was pretty dumb and a lesser version of the Tiki Room show that was already playing in Adventureland. I wouldn't ever want this show to return.

But your idea does have some merit - a smaller theater might work - and maybe if they ditched the AA's and brought back the bears as projections it could work. A projected Bear show would also be easier and cheaper to switch out and replace unlike the AA shows.

Either that or just sell the plans to Knotts. They have a whole country music vibe over there. I doubt knott's would be able to pay the cost of operating the attraction though.
    I wouldn't go as far as to ditch the AA's, simply scale back on them. The original show was an AA bonanza and the real killer was that it was 2 theaters worth of AA's. Not to mention the sheer cost of trying to cool those huge theaters (that alone must have been expensive). Due to room constraints the new show would probably only be the center stage section that would play various bluegrass and mountain music numbers. You could have a small stage on one side for solo acts(one stage total, not two per side as the old show) but even that extra stage may be pushing it because there isn't a lot of room there. It would also be outdoor style theaters, so they would need to build a theater structure to house the AA's and keep them out of the elements (Yosemite among other national and civic parks have similar outdoor theater structures). Keeping the show "fresh" would be a lot easier and cheaper if we are talking about 15 or so AA's instead of 60 plus.

Most important I would request the removal of our 3 old friends from Pooh, and their subsequent installation in a prominent place in the theater. Having something "original" would bring a new depth to an old favorite.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Knott's did have Knott's Beary tales, the ride. They also had the Indian Storyteller with the special effects. Beary Tales has been gone for a LONG time - and didnt they get rid of the other show? I certianly didn't get a country musice vibe at Knott's when i was there.

liver, what are you talking about when you say "projected bear show"? Movie Projector? Hand shadow show? Like a Shadow for Brer Fox, at the top of Splash Mt.?

• The one, the only...

The fact that we are still talking about bring back CBJ so many years after it was unfortunately removed by Disney management to sell more Pooh merchandise, shows that it was a hit.

This current cheap version of the Brother Bear show is an embarrassment. Remember that Walt wanted to create an park where both kids and adults could have fun together. I have seen many families, both kids and adults, laugh during and leave smiling the Country Bears show. Walt wanted to make attractions that made people smile. I have never seen that reaction to Brother Bear. I don't care about cost. DCA proves that cheaply built attractions cost much more in the long run than well built expensive ones. (Do we have to mention how much money it cost to construct POTC?? Would it be the same ride with a few projections of pirates on the wall?)
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

• "I Break Things"

since I derailed slightly I should stress that this isn't a concept or a rumor. I am asking if people think that CBJ would work if they brought it back. Many on here have proposed bringing CBJ to DCA, notably to either GRR or Redwood Creek. Due to the size of the original show and the size limitations of the new area the show would obviously need to be scaled back. I am not claiming this as an original idea, many on here have proposed this concept before.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

scaled down version in dca would just make DCA look cheap - Oh, wait, maybe not since DCA lacks any AA show remotely like HM, Pirates, TikiRoom,, Carousel of Progress, America sings, CBJ, heck it doesn't even had a single attraction like Splash Mt with that many AA's.

CBJ couldn't just be ploppe in place of BB, it would still need to be an indoor show - if you suggest fewer AA's then the show would need to be shorted timewise. That would also make for a less than spectacular finale. Placing the attraction in DCA would also limit the attendance simply by the number of people who enter DCA being fewer than those who enter DL. Placing CBJ in the Redwood Creek challenge trail, would be like hiding an attraction from the guests also. Most guests wouldn't even know it would be in there - very similar to were is was in critter country. The entrance to CBJ in Critter Country was very well hidden. It needed a much more prominent entrance.

• "I Break Things"

scaled down version in dca would just make DCA look cheap - Oh, wait, maybe not since DCA lacks any AA show remotely like HM, Pirates, TikiRoom,, Carousel of Progress, America sings, CBJ, heck it doesn't even had a single attraction like Splash Mt with that many AA's.

CBJ couldn't just be ploppe in place of BB, it would still need to be an indoor show - if you suggest fewer AA's then the show would need to be shorted timewise. That would also make for a less than spectacular finale. Placing the attraction in DCA would also limit the attendance simply by the number of people who enter DCA being fewer than those who enter DL. Placing CBJ in the Redwood Creek challenge trail, would be like hiding an attraction from the guests also. Most guests wouldn't even know it would be in there - very similar to were is was in critter country. The entrance to CBJ in Critter Country was very well hidden. It needed a much more prominent entrance.
    Again not the intention of the thread but... an outdoor theater would actually work well. The shortened show means that it would compliment a smaller theater allowing for more shows. The advertisement for Brother Bear is the main issue with people not knowing about it. If you advertise then people will know it's there. If they really wanted to they could dice into Redwood and create a proper entrance just for CBJ but I think this would be a waste. Again I would prefer an outdoor theater over an indoor show. To be fair there is a section behind the theater that is hardly ever used. So you could easily expand the theater or reposition it, but again a larger theater was one of the factors in the closing of the old show.

As to DCA's lack of AA's, TLM is supposed to fix that.

• The one, the only...

I agree that location has a big affect on attendance. CBJ was placed in a dead end section of DL. The Location did not help the attendance. But if a new show was placed where the Brother Bear show, right on a main path, attendance would be much better.

One other thing... I believe in maximizing space. One could dig deep and put the theater below and an attractive area above, with grass or bushes on the roof of the theater. Then the hotel would still have a pleasant view but also an attraction located near the hotel. Entering a cave to see the show seems natural to find bears and would be more fun for kids. I can see parents saying, "Let's go explore the cave to see what is inside."
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Completely disagree with you tech skip - CBJ would be a nightmare to do outside. the maintenance alone would be so much worse for the AA's, and sun shining in your face while trying to watch a show is awful, not to mention nearby sounds would be bad (look at the fantasyland theater - it had all sorts of issues - even with tent - i often ended up where the sun ended up right in my eyes) plus the special effects like rain and snow during Teddi Barra's number wouldn't work outside, I much prefer an airconditioned show, like Tiki Room, rather than be outside in the tiki garden for the entire show. Not to mention how awkward the entrance and exit is to the entire Brother Bear outdoor show - it's just not guest friendlly. Plus when it rains, or other inclimate weather arrive, the AA shows can still be enjoyed - in fact even moreso, since some other attractions close down in bad weather

And the confusion even trying to get to the BB show is a MAJOR obstacle, too. It's like they purposely hid the area -

Quote Originally Posted by JiminyCricketFan View Post
    I agree that location has a big affect on attendance. CBJ was placed in a dead end section of DL. The Location did not help the attendance. But if a new show was placed where the Brother Bear show, right on a main path, attendance would be much better.

One other thing... I believe in maximizing space. One could dig deep and put the theater below and an attractive area above, with grass or bushes on the roof of the theater. Then the hotel would still have a pleasant view but also an attraction located near the hotel. Entering a cave to see the show seems natural to find bears and would be more fun for kids. I can see parents saying, "Let's go explore the cave to see what is inside."
    like what they did for the Bug's life movie???? (WHY on earth did they created such a gigantic theater for a movie like that????) They do need to have some realistic idea on how big these theater should reasonably be! CBJ theaters were both a pretty good size, they could have had a diifferent show in each theater, But if there was only one theater, It would really need to be, at a minimum, the same size that one of the theaters was. And there is room in Redwood Creek area to do that they would need to remove some of the netting, but it really is too big a play area, anyway.

• Walt Disney Fan

I don't know?

I've never seen the Brother Bear show

And when I saw the Country Bear Show at Disney World it wasn't that great. It was good to see to rember the memories. But, not that many people were in line and about half the theatre was full and it was crowded that day too. I think if you brought it back it would very popular for the first couple months or even years but then get really old.

In my opinion you demolish that whole play area and show area and put an attraction there.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast