Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

• "I Break Things"

Re: Country Bears VS Brother Bear

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    Completely disagree with you tech skip - CBJ would be a nightmare to do outside. the maintenance alone would be so much worse for the AA's, and sun shining in your face while trying to watch a show is awful, not to mention nearby sounds would be bad (look at the fantasyland theater - it had all sorts of issues - even with tent - i often ended up where the sun ended up right in my eyes) plus the special effects like rain and snow during Teddi Barra's number wouldn't work outside, I much prefer an airconditioned show, like Tiki Room, rather than be outside in the tiki garden for the entire show. Not to mention how awkward the entrance and exit is to the entire Brother Bear outdoor show - it's just not guest friendlly. Plus when it rains, or other inclimate weather arrive, the AA shows can still be enjoyed - in fact even moreso, since some other attractions close down in bad weather
    I'm not sure if you have been to the current theater or not, but the design of the current theater provides shade for the audience so sun shining in the eyes would not be an issue. Building a proper theater stage with the proper enclosure would also prevent maintanence issues. Likewise, Jungle is outside with minimal maintanence and it survives without issue! This is something that someone could get to easily, and unlike Jungle it would be shielded from the rain/sun.

The issue with building a full enclosure is the expense. If something is more then a minor remodel then it would likely require a movie tie-in at which point CBJ's overlay would be scrapped. I would love to see a cave, or a formal indoor theater, but not at the expense of losing the very show I would want to see in it. I think a scaled down version in a redesigned outdoor theater would be a hit. The only issue would be "inclement weather" but if the outdoor theater is designed properly then even that would not be an issue (all you need is a roof!)

And the confusion even trying to get to the BB show is a MAJOR obstacle, too. It's like they purposely hid the area
    Which is why I would ask for a redesigned theater.

Quote Originally Posted by jackskeleton1015 View Post
    In my opinion you demolish that whole play area and show area and put an attraction there.
    Hopefully the choice of attraction is something little ones can go on since that is the next stop would have to be TLM if you came that way from the entrance. Most people don't realize it but Condor Flats is useless if the little one isn't tall enough for Soarin... and GRR also has a height requirement... so Redwood becomes the "sorry you're not tall enough" prize.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by dland_lover View Post
    No contest- rip out the Brother Bear show, and put in the Country Bears!
    I whole heartedly agree

• Special Agent

liver, what are you talking about when you say "projected bear show"? Movie Projector? Hand shadow show? Like a Shadow for Brer Fox, at the top of Splash Mt.?
    No like a movie that's projected onto a screen. Something similar to Golden Dreams or the 50th movie - in a small theater.

• Special Agent

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    I am asking if people think that CBJ would work if they brought it back.
    I don't think it would work. I don't think our culture has changed enough between 2001 and 2008 to suddenly make CBJ popular. The show would most likely get the same reception in 2008 that it did just before it closed.

The only way this attraction could come back is if you found a way to DRASTICALLY reduce the operating costs - something on the scale of the Seasons of the Vine movie - so that the handful of fans out there can enjoy it.

I don't think an AA show would reduce costs enough to make it a viable attraction again. The AA technology itself is no longer a draw in itself.

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    I don't think it would work. I don't think our culture has changed enough between 2001 and 2008 to suddenly make CBJ popular. The show would most likely get the same reception in 2008 that it did just before it closed.
    A few years ago I might have agreed with you but seeing the subs reopen, an watching as everyone is awaiting the reopening of IASW makes me think otherwise. I strongly believe that CBJ would resonate with parents who remember being that kid in the theater. I think the demographic would be the same one that Brother Bear attempts to cater to now.

More importantly it is the introduction of music along with characters, which is the element the current show lacks. All you have to do is stand outside GRR when the mountain music starts playing and watch the crowd grow! This music touches the heart of people and smiles seem to grow instantly. This would be characters and music in one show that parents could take their kids to, and at the same time remember what it was like to be that little kid watching these bears.

I believe the smaller theater would be the key to the success of the show because it would make it cheaper to operate, and allow for shorter, more frequent shows. Tiki Room is an excellent example of this model at work, and HISTA is a great example of the waste that can happen when the venue is a much larger theater.

The next issue was advertising. If people don't know there is a show there then they won't bother to show up. This is actually the easy part... use the old show posters, outside, as if they were tacked on a tree like they would have been in the old mining days! The right combination of advertising, and name recognition, would draw families in. And families are the specific demographic that show would be catering to.

The only way this attraction could come back is if you found a way to DRASTICALLY reduce the operating costs - something on the scale of the Seasons of the Vine movie - so that the handful of fans out there can enjoy it.

I don't think an AA show would reduce costs enough to make it a viable attraction again. The AA technology itself is no longer a draw in itself.
    The drastic reduction in cost would come from the drastic reduction in size. Instead of 2 shows holding approx 60 Character AA's and multiple moving parts in the ceiling/ under the stage you are going with 1 show, 2 stages, 12 characters possibly 15 at most. This would also allow for much easier reprogramming should they chose to add new songs or update a show for holidays. If the theater is outside, then you have the added benefit of not needing to heat/cool the theater. The key is the design and construction of both theater and show. Many places, including Yosemite, would be great places to look to for inspiration in the construction of an outdoor theater.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Super Duper!

I would like to say this, too- I don't want a scaled-down version of the show, at all. Full size theater and show, with no corners cut. Sure, reduce it down to one theater, but it does not need to, and should not, be toned down. Magic Kingdom in WDW still gets healthy crowds for it's CBJ, and it's the original show, no changes (except for a couple of the voices). The only differences between it and DL's, is it is only one theater, and it is on the main drag.

Level that whole end of the challenge trail, and let the theater have it's own entrance, further down the trail, that's right there, in plain sight in a busy area. That (and the offer of Air Con. during summer ) would be enough to bring in good sized crowds.

I don't think we need a gimmick for this to work, and it should definitely not be yet another film based attraction in a park that has/had too many. Bring in the AAs! People are indeed still impressed by the latest AA technology, the A100s (or newer, if that's what they are) and the life-like fluidity they possess. And they are still entertained by the A1s, too- Tiki Room as an example. And as much as I love the original CBJ, I think this would need to be a new show, with Pete Reneday(sp?) as Henry and Max (like in the original), and perhaps use some of DL's own talent for the new voices, like Kirk Wall of The Billys, Farley the Fiddler, and other talents that they already have at their disposal.

Which brings up another intersting point- people don't hate Bluegrass. Watch a Billy Hill and the Hillbillies show, and you'll see that. Granted, they play a lot of rock songs in the Bluegrass style, but even the true Bluegrass/Country songs are a big hit with the crowds. The Golden Horseshoe Saloon is always full of people watching, clapping, foot-stomping, and cheering on the Billys. Those of you who think Bluegrass/Country wouldn't work, are just plain wrong, IMO.

Don't write off the original concept, just yet. Walt's Imagineers knew what they were doing- trust their gut feeling, and things should be okay. We'll especially see evidence of this once the Sleeping Beauty Castle Walkthrough reopens.

• Drunk On Disney!

In combination with the huge maintenance cost. It wasn't that few people were attending the show so much as it was that not enough people were attending to justify the huge cost.

I absolutely hated the Country Bears. I thought the show was pretty dumb and a lesser version of the Tiki Room show that was already playing in Adventureland. I wouldn't ever want this show to return.

But your idea does have some merit - a smaller theater might work - and maybe if they ditched the AA's and brought back the bears as projections it could work. A projected Bear show would also be easier and cheaper to switch out and replace unlike the AA shows.

Either that or just sell the plans to Knotts. They have a whole country music vibe over there. I doubt knott's would be able to pay the cost of operating the attraction though.
    I think making it projections would be terrible idea. Even FNSV's supposedly revolutionary projections system came out with a lukewarm response. Disney made huge cut backs with DCA, and now they have to bail it out (hehe). Think what POTC would be without AAs......lame.

Quote Originally Posted by JiminyCricketFan View Post
    I agree that location has a big affect on attendance. CBJ was placed in a dead end section of DL. The Location did not help the attendance. But if a new show was placed where the Brother Bear show, right on a main path, attendance would be much better.

One other thing... I believe in maximizing space. One could dig deep and put the theater below and an attractive area above, with grass or bushes on the roof of the theater. Then the hotel would still have a pleasant view but also an attraction located near the hotel. Entering a cave to see the show seems natural to find bears and would be more fun for kids. I can see parents saying, "Let's go explore the cave to see what is inside."
    OOO!!!! That's a cool idea! Putting the show in a cave yes!!! And wouldn't it be cool if it was in Grizzly Peak? I know the peak doesn't have the right infrastructure for that, but ya know....just dreamin' ......

CBJ was, as said, in what became a dead part of the park.

If they put some creativity behind it, they could make it great draw. I can hear the commercial starting now - "The original you loved way back when is back, better than ever! In it's new home in DCA, the CB's are back singing their old favorites and some new one's too!"

Could you imagine if they actually put some thought into it? Tried to make it the best it could be, and not take a million other factors into account first.

How cool would it be if they had the three "stuffed heads" outside the the que doing a little show? What if they talked to the audience waiting? You don't think that would be a huge draw?

• "I Break Things"

Completely random thought... but if they aren't going to make it a show then what about using them as the main characters in GRR? Think of it like Splash meets Bigfoot... just a thought.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

No like a movie that's projected onto a screen. Something similar to Golden Dreams or the 50th movie - in a small theater.

Are you seriously suggesting that DCA needs another Movie?

Nevermind, I forgot who I was asking the question of.

• "I Break Things"

Are you seriously suggesting that DCA needs another Movie?
    Well you know technically they lost Golden Dreams... and the Country Bear movie was such a blockbuster that they have to have a sequel! On a serious note I would hate this show to be anything but a musical AA show. If a show is not possible then I would love for it to be overlayed onto GRR making it the DCA version of Splash!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123