Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Anyone concerned with Cars Land?

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    The other big issue with Cars Land is its theme. Been over this repeatedly...but Radiator Springs is more closely tied to Arizona than to California. Nothing about the film celebrates California particularly, and numerous aspects of the design and description point to a location in Arizona. If the park is going to be that explicit and call itself California Adventure, it needs to be about California. Cars simply is not about California. The justification that Cars celebrates Route 66 and Route 66 continued through California and thus all of Route 66 is fair game and no one'll know it's not California anyway - yeah, that justification? Doesn't cut it for me. It's a stretch.
    I know we've talked about this a bunch, but I'm nearly 100% sure that the town of Radiator Springs was based on the story of the town of Amboy, California. I know geographically, it is based on Peach Springs, Arizona, but the story should count for 50% and therefore make it totally fit California. IMHO

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    Well, Both DCA and DL should have a variety of attractions, which the entire family can enjoy together, BUT to say:

"We don't have to enjoy everything in the Park to have a good time"

sounds like an excuse to say that "it's ok for DCA to have some crappy off the shelf rides"

So i would NEVER agree with a statement like that.

That statement holds true for us in BOTH Parks, as well as non Disney Parks. You don't have to agree. It's OK.

We can (and do) fully enjoy DL without ever having to enter HITSA, Innoventions and Mad Hatter's Tea Party.

It's not an excuse to say that DL can have some crappy rides. We don't consider them crappy, just not to our liking.

Same with a few things at DCA.

Everything does not have to be perfect for us to enjoy the Parks.

We enjoy what we want, and don't whine about what we don't...

Until I own DL or DCA (which will never happen) and can make ALL of the decisions about the Parks, you'll never hear us complain about a ride or attraction to the point of insanity.

We let the fine folks at Disney decide what to put in and then we enjoy it.

Or not...

Either way, we'll still go to the Parks and have a Tiggerific time.

Our way.

• =)

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
    I know we've talked about this a bunch, but I'm nearly 100% sure that the town of Radiator Springs was based on the story of the town of Amboy, California. I know geographically, it is based on Peach Springs, Arizona, but the story should count for 50% and therefore make it totally fit California. IMHO
    If you ask me, that works perfectly in contexts where the geographic location of the attraction, land, or (in this case) park is not so explicitly stated. Adventureland is typically the example I fall back on, since it represents such a diverse scattering of geographic regions in such a compact area, and there's no problem with it. But when the park calls itself California Adventure, I just can't 100% support adding something that's located in another state. I would say that yes, story counts for 50%. But that makes Cars Land 50% fit into DCA, not "totally."

Here's an analogy. Imagine Adventureland, except with the name "African Adventureland." Or "Amazonland." Or whatever you want. Something geographically specific. Then add an ancient Indian temple to the mix. Doesn't work. It's too blatantly contradictory.

I'm not suggesting, however, that DCA doesn't deserve Cars Land. What I'm saying is that Cars Land deserves to be surrounded by a better park to which it's more relevant.

EDIT:

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolMickey
    We let the fine folks at Disney decide what to put in and then we enjoy it. Or not...Either way, we'll still go to the Parks and have a Tiggerific time.
    If all the decisions made for the next 30 years fell into the "or not" category, would you still have a Tiggerific time then? Not saying that'll necessarily happen...just speaking hypothetically.

If you ask me, that works perfectly in contexts where the geographic location of the attraction, land, or (in this case) park is not so explicitly stated. Adventureland is typically the example I fall back on, since it represents such a diverse scattering of geographic regions in such a compact area, and there's no problem with it. But when the park calls itself California Adventure, I just can't 100% support adding something that's located in another state. I would say that yes, story counts for 50%. But that makes Cars Land 50% fit into DCA, not "totally."

Here's an analogy. Imagine Adventureland, except with the name "African Adventureland." Or "Amazonland." Or whatever you want. Something geographically specific. Then add an ancient Indian temple to the mix. Doesn't work. It's too blatantly contradictory.

I'm not suggesting, however, that DCA doesn't deserve Cars Land. What I'm saying is that Cars Land deserves to be surrounded by a better park to which it's more relevant.
    I'm all for removing "California" from the park's name. I mean, after all, bugs are worldwide and not specific to California either.

One note: Pirates of the Caribbean really has nothing to do with New Orleans, but it sure works well!

• Special Agent

But when the park calls itself California Adventure, I just can't 100% support adding something that's located in another state.
    Carsland doesn't actually exist - so how is it located in another state?

Think of it this way - there is no real Grizzly Peak and there is no Hollywood Pictures Backlot and there is no Paradise Pier located in California - but they are all based on ideas that evoke a feeling of California.

Carsland will evoke the feeling of California in exactly the same way. It may not exist in reality, but it will still evoke the same emotions.

• Banned User

Carsland will have a ride called Radiator Springs Racers, so that name will be used there. And from what I've heard, it will definitely not be a kiddie ride. Far from it.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Quote Originally Posted by Missviolet View Post
    I'm not a fan of the "CarsLand" title.... Since when do we name a whole land after one attraction?
    As someone mentioned, TDS has specific movies for each of their lands. DCA has had Bug's Land for several years alread. And really, if you think back to the 1950's, ALL of Disneyland was based on one tv show.

As for the name of the area, Bugsland/Flik's Fun Fair are nearly interchangable, and since most of Radiator Springs will be represented in Carsland, those two terms very well may be interchangable, also.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Club 33 Mike View Post
    I cant think of ONE ride in Fantasyland that appeals to Adults by itself?
    I think you're way off. Many adults on these threads -- including yours truly -- have expressed love for Fantasyland rides. I can't visit DL or MK without going to Fantasyland. Unthinkable.

• Animation Domination

Club 33 Mike Wrote:

Matterhorn?
    Mad Tea Party?

no not worried at all.

The three attractions so far greenlit for Cars Land are not geared towards kids. RSR will be a fast thrilling and very detailed attraction. Luigi's flying tires should be quite fun and nostalgic for people that remember the old flying saucers which was an attraction for the whole family and Mater should also be fun for people of all ages.

As for why they are still going for an overall name of the land as "Cars Land" i have one idea.

The land is suppose to have sub names. The overall land name being Cars Land which then has two distinct areas route 66 and Sadiator Springs. Cars LAnd might give them a looser oppurtunity for future attractions to be Car based not directly tied to the movie
    Last edited by Baloo; 10-19-2008 at 08:20 PM.

• or CBF

I'm not worried at all.

To me, the land appeals to all ages. There's RSR, and Luigi's for all ages and Tow Mater's Junkyard Jamboree for the little ones.

As for the name, I think that it's just another case of Yellow Shoes Marketing. WDI wants to call Carsland "Radiator Springs" and "Route 66" and Marketing wants to call it Carsland. It's a Toy Story (Midway) Mania all over again.
    MHTSEIAHTECTESVEIBIECSETR

Find me on:Facebook / Twitter
    (Send me a message saying you are from MC)

• =)

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
    I'm all for removing "California" from the park's name. I mean, after all, bugs are worldwide and not specific to California either.
    I would be, too. The only issue is...what idea sums up everything DCA will be after this giant overhaul? It'll be a mishmash. A lot of it will be California-themed - some of it good, some of it bad - but sizable chunks of it will have only their use of Disney characters in common. There's no overriding idea behind it. Which, as I've said before, kinda works when there isn't an equally thematically vague park right next door. But that's not the case here.

One note: Pirates of the Caribbean really has nothing to do with New Orleans, but it sure works well!
    Agreed. It's just as bad an offender - which goes to show that these sorts of errors can still be vastly enjoyable, provided that they're entertaining concepts that are executed impeccably. But if Pirates were built today, I would be just as annoyed, most likely. And then I'd go on to fall in love with the attraction, as I most likely will with Cars Land. It's just a pity that it's not perfect, you know? It's naughty love.

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    Carsland doesn't actually exist - so how is it located in another state?
    Cars Land represents Radiator Springs, the town in the film Cars. While the word "Arizona" is never used in the film, it's presented as an unintentional stop on the way to California. The frequent presence of saguaro cactus makes a California location extremely unlikely - in the U.S., they're confined almost exclusively to Arizona. Features on the fictional map of Radiator Springs' environs don't perfectly match up with anything in the real world, but there's a strong resemblance to an area of Arizona.

What really confuses things is the fact that various elements take inspiration from different locations in different states. It's left vague, but there are ostensibly intentional indications that Radiator Springs would be in Arizona, not California.

Think of it this way - there is no real Grizzly Peak and there is no Hollywood Pictures Backlot and there is no Paradise Pier located in California - but they are all based on ideas that evoke a feeling of California.

Carsland will evoke the feeling of California in exactly the same way. It may not exist in reality, but it will still evoke the same emotions.
    Emotions aren't the only thing that matters in theme park design. They're extremely important...but if you lay down a rule for yourself, you follow it. Or you risk causing at least slight annoyance to some of the guests and sacrificing whatever integrity the art already has. Grizzly Peak is styled after mountains found in California and resembles a symbol of the state. And there are no indications that it's from another state. Hollywood Pictures Backlot is styled after Hollywood, which is, as I'm sure you're aware, in California. And there are no indications that it's from another state. Paradise Pier...boy, it's got so many other problems, I'm just not even gonna bother with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Club 33 Mike View Post
    I can only think of ONE ride in Fantasyland, Mr. Toad's Wild Ride everything else is an attraction

Grizzly Peak is styled after mountains found in California and resembles a symbol of the state.
    True, but are there any grizzlies still living in California outside of zoos? Nope. The state's flag is outdated, too, and should be changed to depict an animal that truly represents California today. Of course, the only animal that I could possibly be referring to is the Beverly Hills Chihuahua.

And there are no indications that it's from another state.
    Brown bears still inhabit much of Alaska and parts of Washington.

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Concerned? No, not at all...........

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast