Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

• Banned User

Re: Anyone concerned with Cars Land?

Quote Originally Posted by Mohave View Post
    One note: Pirates of the Caribbean really has nothing to do with New Orleans, but it sure works well!
    I hate to disagree and I am not trying to start a debate, but Pirates in general have everything to do with New Orleans. Jean Lafitte, made New Orleans his home in 1803 and launched his ships from there. Interesting side note, According to history, Lafitte never took over an American ship while he lived in New Orleans, it is said that was because he respected the way America was going as a new country.

As far as Carsland goes, I agree the name is a bit clunky. It was also not our favorite movie, far from it. All that said it should be interesting to see what they do with it. DCA is not something we generally enjoy, and admittedly we spend very little time there. But the thing I personally dislike is not the attractions but the way the park is laid out, it just feels off to me somehow, especially the fact that several of the lands dead end and don't lead to other lands.

• =)

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Cook View Post
    True, but are there any grizzlies still living in California outside of zoos? Nope. The state's flag is outdated, too, and should be changed to depict an animal that truly represents California today. Of course, the only animal that I could possibly be referring to is the Beverly Hills Chihuahua. Brown bears still inhabit much of Alaska and parts of Washington.
    Not an issue; California Adventure has an unfortunate tendency to restrict itself to the modern, but that's not a necessary part of every attraction or area. There were grizzlies. That's enough. Radiator Springs doesn't have the luxury of having been part of California a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by scotprincess View Post
    I can only think of ONE ride in Fantasyland, Mr. Toad's Wild Ride everything else is an attraction
    In addition to that, Peter Pan's Flight is a wonderful ride experience--it's neither wild nor crazy, but subtly creates a palpable sensation of flying through the air for me. Casey Jr. Circus Train is also fun as a ride, almost like a kiddie-coaster, but in the form of a train; the version of this ride at Disneyland Paris actually is a kiddie-coaster that just looks like a train.

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    Not an issue; California Adventure has an unfortunate tendency to restrict itself to the modern, but that's not a necessary part of every attraction or area. There were grizzlies. That's enough. Radiator Springs doesn't have the luxury of having been part of California a long time ago.
    But there are some saguaro cacti in California, however rare, and they also inhabit Baja California, so perhaps sometime in the past there were more of them in California. There is plenty of desert here, and people often associate this species of cactus with the Desert Southwest in general, so it could be argued that Radiator Springs would kind of fit in. This is not a strong argument and I don't dispute the facts you've stated, but for most people it's good enough regardless of the probable intention of the movie, which itself is arguable as maybe the filmmakers had no particular geographic location in mind and just liked the look of saguaros in the desert.

I prefer theming to be perfect, too, and that's what I would strive for personally, but if I can put up with hearing that Monstro's tail got blown off at Disneyland (on the Storybook Land Canal Boats), then I can put up with Radiator Springs being in a California-themed park. By the way, wasn't the monster in the original Pinocchio story a gigantic fish instead of a sperm whale? Chalk it up to artistic license, I guess.
    Last edited by Robert Cook; 10-19-2008 at 08:30 AM.

• Sock Puppet

If all the decisions made for the next 30 years fell into the "or not" category, would you still have a Tiggerific time then? Not saying that'll necessarily happen...just speaking hypothetically.

Well, if we're all speaking about fear and concern hypothetically, WE might not even BE here in 30 years, let alone Disneyland, so it wouldn't matter anyway...

So I'm not going to be concerned or fearful about it. I'm just going to enjoy what they have.

Judging by Disney's track record, they'll do just fine. Sure, they aren't perfect, but neither was Walt (as I'm dodging lightning strikes!).

Heck, PEOPLE aren't perfect, so we should fit right in!!!

Hypothetically speaking, of course...

• Vasooki-land Owner

Quote Originally Posted by Club 33 Mike View Post
    I cant think of ONE ride in Fantasyland that appeals to Adults by itself?
    I dunno. I've many ADULTS with no kids in line for peter pan.
    We are currently imagineeing a new attraction for you!

Please enjoy all the other attractions in fabulicious Vasooki-land!

I'm happy with the theaming. I agree I like Radiator Springs better but I think they want to make it clear what it is. Not sure those who don't know the movie, (a select few I know) would understand "Huh what's that, an area about radiators? Radiator land??
    Janette

• Sock Puppet

^^^^^^

I'm sure that folks other than Micechatters will have no problem what-so-ever with the name Cars Land...

• =)

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolMickey View Post
    Well, if we're all speaking about fear and concern hypothetically, WE might not even BE here in 30 years, let alone Disneyland, so it wouldn't matter anyway...
    It's absolutely true that we could die tomorrow. That means we should appreciate each day, yes. But it doesn't mean we shouldn't care one bit about the future.

Judging by Disney's track record, they'll do just fine. Sure, they aren't perfect, but neither was Walt (as I'm dodging lightning strikes!).
    Disney's track record overall? Or Disney's track record under the current management? They're substantially different. And no, Walt wasn't perfect.

Heck, PEOPLE aren't perfect, so we should fit right in!!!
    But they should try to be.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Well, like I said before, the "CALIFORNIA" letters are soon to be history, and California may not even be in the title to the park previously known as "DCA".

The new statue of Walt and Mickey will be a focal point. and the new park sounds to focus on Walt's Westward Expedition, (not just California) which did go through areas that inspired Cars. Mickey Mouse was said to have been inspired while Walt and Lillian were on that 5 day RR trip to LA, so Mickey may have very well been born in a "Radiator Springs" type area!

Gnaw on that thought, for awhile

oh, and since we're talking about walt's Western Expedition . . . . .they might explore one of Marc's idea's again.

I too rather despise the name "Carsland". Radiator Springs would have been much better. I don't think there would have been an issue with people not knowing what the theme was. Not only have most people seen the movie, when the land opens marketing will take care of those that didn't.

• =)

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    Well, like I said before, the "CALIFORNIA" letters are soon to be history, and California may not even be in the title to the park previously known as "DCA".

The new statue of Walt and Mickey will be a focal point. and the new park sounds to focus on Walt's Westward Expedition, (not just California) which did go through areas that inspired Cars. Mickey Mouse was said to have been inspired while Walt and Lillian were on that 5 day RR trip to LA, so Mickey may have very well been born in a "Radiator Springs" type area!

Gnaw on that thought, for awhile
    Well, like I said before...what is the overall theme they're working toward then? I can't find any sufficiently cohesive direction behind DCA as it will exist in 2012. I've said this countless times...it'll contain lots of California elements that don't relate to Disney, and a lot of Disney elements that don't relate to California. It's gonna be schizophrenic. Overall, a more enjoyable experience than it currently is - no doubts there, and I appreciate that.

If they throw out the official California theme, it'll be confusing how there will be so many California elements in the park, including a brand-new one. If they keep it, it'll be confusing how there will be so many non-California-related elements in the park, including the majority of the changes to the park. It's a lose-lose situation.

EDIT:

And here's the REALLY big issue with the "Cars Land" name. Some of you are claiming that using a more recognizable name will bring in more guests, since, after all, some people haven't seen Cars and thus wouldn't know that a land called "Radiator Springs" would be a tie-in. That's the Disney marketing people's logic, too, no doubt. But here's the thing: if they haven't seen the movie, it won't matter to them whether the land is a tie-in in the first place.
    Last edited by Datameister; 10-19-2008 at 01:28 PM.

• A Suitcase & A Dream

I have never really liked the idea of "Cars Land" since I first heard about, "a bug's land" itself was stretching the California theme and this area will go even further. It seems as though Disney is scared not to have a Disney or Pixar character assosiated with anything new for DCA so there isn't a backlash against it. The "Radiator Springs Racers" does look amazing but why couldn't it have been the "Route 66 Racers", I really don't see the need to add "Cars" into California Adventure especially just to promote "Cars 2" which I hope at least takes place in California. To me is seems as thought most of the additions to DCA still don't seem permanent..like there still a chance that in 10 years some of those things might be gone and replaced with new attractions. I think that is major problem with DCA, there isn't anything there to get attached to like at Disneyland.

• Knows Where His Towel Is

I've never really been concerned with Carsland-there are so many other things to get worried about (PP, for one) that I've never really thought about it, at all. And I don't think it deserves worry. C'mon. Carsland is going to be great. At least TDS-style, if not more.

INTERGALACTIC WRITER FOR THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY
    HOOPY FROODS:thinkingofdisney11, DisneyIzz, A113, dmtnt55, MikeSkellington, zephr, Incrediboy, JungleCruiseFan, PerformerInWaiting, MainStreetJake, The Disneylander, littleactressann, DapperJoshua, padgerfan, SS77, DisneyLove, GummiBears_Rock, fangalicious44, animekiti4christ, *disneyprincess*, monorailorange33, Colorized, iskategoofy, stevo505, mandypandy, williamtheking, CaptainEO,Atis, firebolt413, cocoa, WendyInWonderland, ICe101, itsxxdomoxxkun, esquivel

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER!
    ASK ME ANYTHING! :: FORMSPRING.ME
    FOLLOW MY BLOG: <>

• =)

Quote Originally Posted by The Disneylander View Post
    I don't think it deserves worry. C'mon. Carsland is going to be great. At least TDS-style, if not more.
    The TDS card keeps getting played. Of course it's going to be huge and amazing-looking and beautiful and entertaining and immersive and not short on attractions! And that's great! That's the most important thing in a theme park! But that's not the only thing that's important. TDS has different "seas" that are quite diverse, yet all of them fit into the overall idea that we're exploring the many waterfronts, real and otherwise, of the world. DCA, in sharp contrast, is sacrificing whatever thematic unity it has for entertainment value. Yes, high entertainment value with a lack of thematic unity is better than the opposite, but why not actually create a park that achieves thematic unity and high entertainment value?

• Senior Minion

I'm not concerned about Cars Land per se. It's a very mixed bag for me in many ways. I'm not concerned that it will be well recieved by the public, and do a great deal of good for DCA's reputation. I do have a variety of other concerns though, and a number of things that I think are great about it.

I guess I'll start out with the good things. I think that CL will address some of the things that are excellent California themes and were only slightly represented, poorly done, and not fully fleshed out originally in DCA, car culture, route 66 and the desert. I think think RSR will be a really fun ride and a great addition to the park. I also am really happy about the cliffs that will really help block out Anaheim and dramitically change the feel of the whole park. I also think that the overall level of theming shows enormous promise.

I have more mixed feeling about a few things. One of the main ones is the use of the Cars film. I don't at like the idea of a whole land being based on a film. It seems to me WDI doesn't completely love the idea either but is doing what they're told pretty much while also planning for the future with ways of expanding beyond that theme. I hope that eventually happens.

The reason I have mixed feelings about this is that at the same time I also feel like the inclusion of Cars in this way is a no brainer and makes complete sense for Disney in a lot of ways. It fits the theme of the area and in many ways the whole Radiator Springs setting does have many of the things that represent the time and place perfectly.

It's a tough call in how much of the movie should be included in the land, but I do think it should have a nice size presence. I just don't think it needs to be named for the movie and open with every attraction based on the movie. Just having the drive-in at least could have been something not directly 'Cars' related and they cut that, which I understand, but I hope it gets done still.

I don't think this will at all degrade the California theme. The concept is about getting to California and I don't think the story of California is limitted to the boarders of the state. In any case these little details of the location of Radiator Springs and such are not important in the mind of most guests, and they'll like the rides and just see it as a California route 66 setting.

I also have a mixed impression on the other rides. I think they both will be fairly fun for most ages so that's a positive. I haven't seen anyone mention it but there's a video in the entrance of the preview center showing them testing the mater vehicle and it does look like it will be fun. It looks like the little tractors will pull you and swing you around randomly and I'm assuming, dance around, and with each other, it should be neat.

On the downside of this, I hate the junkyard concept, I think the location of it is a terrible and I think it limits the future options and will further confused an area already with thematic confusion. The tire ride is cool I guess as long as it works well and can load in a reasonable time. I have concerns that if it is fun, the capacity will be an issue and the lines will be aweful, so I hope they can deal with this. I also worry about the land being hot, I hope enough shade can be put in while maintaining the desert feel.

So overall, I'm glad they're adding this land, I think it will do well, and in the long term I think it will inevitably be less tied to 'Cars' only, and be better for it. I have some concerns about certain aspects of the layout, and I don't like certain decisions, but this will be a huge part of DCA becoming a good park and most of it is for the better.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast