Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

• =)

Re: Anyone concerned with Cars Land?

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    I don't think this will at all degrade the California theme. The concept is about getting to California and I don't think the story of California is limitted to the boarders of the state. In any case these little details of the location of Radiator Springs and such are not important in the mind of most guests, and they'll like the rides and just see it as a California route 66 setting.
    I'll concede that locations from outside the geographic boundaries of California could be useful in minor ways in DCA, as a way of telling the story of "getting to California", as you put it. That's a valid point. But such elements would need to be in the periphery of the park. Transitional elements. Minor details. Probably at the entrance, when you're literally entering this adventure through California.

I still stand by my view that it's not appropriate to theme what most likely will be DCA's most amazing land on something outside California. It'll be huge. People will flock to it. But it'll still be corrupting what the park is about. Remember, the California we see in Cars has nothing to do with Radiator Springs. Radiator Springs is the anti-California in the film, though there were certainly places with similar stories in real-life California.

Whether or not the majority of guests will know is beside the point; those who don't know or don't care won't have a better experience because of the use of the non-California setting, and those who do know and care will have a worse experience. There's no net gain.

• "I Break Things"

I'll skip over the whole "Carsland or Radiator Springs for a name" and also bypass the "Is Cars the movie even in California" and instead focus on what bothers me... basing an entire land on one movie! Look at Bugsland... how many kids even saw Bugs life? Look at Tarzan's Treehouse... how many kids remember that movie? More important wasn't the main excuse for replacing Swiss Family the fact that no one remembered that movie let alone watched it? The loss of Tom's Island to Pirates because the youth couldn't identify with Tom and Huck. Now we have an entire land about to be built around a movie. What happens in 10 years when no one remembers Cars? I am curious how much longer FFF will be around since no one seems to even remember the movie let alone the characters.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

I just don't like the name. 'Carsland' sounds a bit tacky, and connects it too much to the movie. Now, why not call it 'Route 66' or perhaps 'Radiator Springs, California' or something along those lines, to make it seem like a community in California, and not a cheap, unoriginal name that's there to sell DVDs and tickets to any Cars sequel or such.

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    I'll skip over the whole "Carsland or Radiator Springs for a name" and also bypass the "Is Cars the movie even in California" and instead focus on what bothers me... basing an entire land on one movie! Look at Bugsland... how many kids even saw Bugs life? Look at Tarzan's Treehouse... how many kids remember that movie? More important wasn't the main excuse for replacing Swiss Family the fact that no one remembered that movie let alone watched it? The loss of Tom's Island to Pirates because the youth couldn't identify with Tom and Huck. Now we have an entire land about to be built around a movie. What happens in 10 years when no one remembers Cars? I am curious how much longer FFF will be around since no one seems to even remember the movie let alone the characters.
    Does it matter (except from the viewpoint that it will help promote Cars 2) that kids or adults may not remember what movie Cars Land is based on? It's a well known theme, a small town off Route 66 in a large desert. If the attractions were renamed "Desert Racers", "Flying Tires" and "Junkyard Jamboree" all in the land "Autolandic", it still works, it still has a theme.

• Senior Minion

Looking at Carsland as an attraction built on archetypes, IMO the only question is how many years after it opens will TDA tear it out for lack of attendance.

To me, Carsland is the ultimate homage to Disney's infatuation with the bucks brought in by Pixar -- and a multi million dollar monument to their ignorance of what made Disneyland a hit and DCA a bust.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 10-19-2008 at 06:40 PM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by pianoman13 View Post
    I think Carsland will do fine financially...my problem with is that it's all on the movie "Cars" and that takes place in Arizona. Plus, the film was the weakest Pixar movie IMO... The land looks fantastic though, and I can't wait to ride radiator Springs racers and the flying tires ride...forgot the exact name.
    Where does this belief that Cars takes place in Arizona come from??? It's never mentioned in the movie and there are PLENTY of places in CA that look like the scenery in Cars.

Plus, I'm still wondering if the "California Adventure" name will eventually be scrapped. Most every ride is going to have some kind of "movie" tie-in by the time the make-over is done. The only one that will be hard to explain would be Soarin (with the current movie).

But think about it: The Swings are getting a Silly Symphony make-over, Mullholland Madness is Goofy, Jumpin' Jellyfish will fit with the Ariel theme and you can easily change the name of CA Screamin' to something else.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Where does this belief that Cars takes place in Arizona come from???
    Besides my personal experience of having camped, hiked, biked and driven 66 from Victorville to Amarillo for years (many of them in my '66 Mustang), I could point you to:

"...Pastels, watercolors, and pencil sketches of such scenic vistas as Ornament Valley, Cadillac Range, and Radiator Cap Butte, based on familiar landmarks as Arizona’s Monument Valley rock formations and the Cadillac Ranch in Amarillo, Texas."
    -- The Art of CARS Live at the L.A. Petersen Automotive Museum
    2aday.wordpress.com/2008/03/05/disney-pixar-cars-the-art-of-cars-live-at-the-la-petersen-automotive-museum/

"Owen Wilson blandly voices Lightning McQueen, a rookie NASCAR racecar who, on his way to California for the climactic contest of the stock car season, gets waylaid in the Arizona burgh of Radiator Springs, a once-hopping Route 66 stopping point that has been Nowheresville since the new interstate bypassed it in 1966."
    -- Review, 7/1/06
    isteve.com/Film_Cars.htm

"The setting for the fictional town of Radiator Springs is situated between Gallup, New Mexico and Kingman, Arizona."
    -- Pixar Wiki
    pixar.wikia.com/wiki/Cars

- Neil Gabler

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
    Does it matter (except from the viewpoint that it will help promote Cars 2) that kids or adults may not remember what movie Cars Land is based on? It's a well known theme, a small town off Route 66 in a large desert. If the attractions were renamed "Desert Racers", "Flying Tires" and "Junkyard Jamboree" all in the land "Autolandic", it still works, it still has a theme.
    Well it certainly mattered when they swapped Swiss for Tarzan. It also mattered when they swapped Tom for Pirates. It definately mattered when they decided to toss characters in IASW and when they tossed Johnny Depp into Pirates. It even sold the subs, without Nemo there was literally no budget (ironic since it was initially hinged on the success of Atlantis and we know how that went down). The name of the game is name recognition, without it Disney will not build. It's been discussed in depth, but the "original concept" attractions are few and far between.

The difference with Flick's Fun Fair and Carsland is that instead of an attraction banking on name recognition and tie-in... we are now talking about an entire land! It would be like basing all of Adventureland on Jungle Book... then when people forgot renaming it in homage of Tarzan. Or basing all of New Oreleans on Treasure Island... basing all of Tomorrowland on a campy 50's scifi or canning all of Frontierland under the name of a Zorro or Davy Crockett movie!

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    It would be like basing all of Adventureland on Jungle Book... then when people forgot renaming it in homage of Tarzan. Or basing all of New Oreleans on Treasure Island... basing all of Tomorrowland on a campy 50's scifi or canning all of Frontierland under the name of a Zorro or Davy Crockett movie!
    Bingo.

- Neil Gabler

• =)

Thanks for those relevant quotes, Mr. Wiggins. I hadn't seen some of those. Also, sir clinksalot, check out my earlier post.

• Progressive Disneylander

I'm kinda worried about Car's Land. It seems like a lot of precious real estate devoted to an area that really just has one major attraction. I know there is other stuff going to be in there as well, but nothing else that really stands out to me.

I think if this were Disney World we were talking about, I would have less concern in the sense that there is always room to expand the parks. At DCA, they're pretty much going to use the last remaining part of the lot for this one area/ride. I really hope they are using that space wisely.

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by KISSman View Post
    I'm kinda worried about Car's Land. It seems like a lot of precious real estate devoted to an area that really just has one major attraction. I know there is other stuff going to be in there as well, but nothing else that really stands out to me.

I think if this were Disney World we were talking about, I would have less concern in the sense that there is always room to expand the parks. At DCA, they're pretty much going to use the last remaining part of the lot for this one area/ride. I really hope they are using that space wisely.
    Disneyland is comparable to New York, with sprinkles of undeveloped area among highly developed layers... DCA is like Los Angeles, where there is a great deal more space and a lot less development. It is "upward" real estate vs "outward" real estate. But in fairness Disneyland started out with a lot of emptiness that was quickly, and carefully, filled in over the next decade.

Thumbs up Re: Anyone concerned with Cars Land?

I am very very excited about CarsLand! I am so happy we are getting a new "Land"! ! ! !

The name RadiatorSpringsLand just does not work as well as the name "CarsLand" I am so excited to be able to visit "Radiator Springs" In CarsLand. It is going to look fantastic I am sure, how cool it will be to see Radiator Springs in the flesh. I am very very excited. Very good changes are coming to DCA, if things progress as advertised it is going to be incredible!

I hope to see more of these types of changes, new lands, new attractions, instead of trying to "Upgrade" the classics, make new ones.

As for building in DL, there is real estate in Critter Country and there is real estate in Frontier land! We can have new attractions as well.

One step at a time though! Oh and as for those nervous about basing an entire land on a Film. I would not be happy if this was being done in DisneyLand proper, but I feel that DCA allows for some flexibility. Radiator Springs is such a awesome concept and place that I have no problem with it. I loved the film Cars and I love Route 66 and the whole nostalgic feel that goes with Radiator Springs. I am just super excited to actually get to visit this place.
    Just my 3 cents!

• =)

Quote Originally Posted by CAspace View Post
    The name RadiatorSpringsLand just does not work as well as the name "CarsLand" I am so excited to be able to visit "Radiator Springs" In CarsLand.
    No one said anything about "RadiatorSpringsLand." The place is called Radiator Springs. Giving it a different, clunkier name doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

As for building in DL, there is real estate in Critter Country
    No...there's not...

• WDW Spring Adv. CP 2009!!

Yea I agree that the name "cars land" should be scrapped. But I don't really see any concern with this new land. I know that I am not the only one who is excited about the new "E" Ticket ride. I just recently visited Walt Disney World for the first time in August,(my trip report is posted on the WDW forums if you wanted to check out some pics) and loved the Test Track. To hear that a similar ride with a cars theme is coming is great. Sure there will be some problems and people will have something to say when the land officially opens, but overall I think people will be surprised on how much they will enjoy the land. I am not only looking forward to the opening of this land but to other new things happening to DCA in the next few years.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast