Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

• Walt Disney Fan

Re: Anyone concerned with Cars Land?

I'm not to worried

They have made their mistake and they've learned from it. I believe in Disney not to make the same mistake.

It looks awesome and there might be a Test Track kinda ride which would be incredible.

Looks awesome to me

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    No one said anything about "RadiatorSpringsLand." The place is called Radiator Springs. Giving it a different, clunkier name doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

No...there's not...
    There is space as soon as you remove winnie the pooh and the hungry bear
    As for the name I really have no problem with the name being radiator springs in carsland. It makes sense from a marketing standpoint which is the whole reason for the Dca redux. Bringing people to the remade park and making it profitable.
    Last edited by CAspace; 10-19-2008 at 10:05 PM.

• =)

Quote Originally Posted by CAspace View Post
    There is space as soon as you remove winnie the pooh and the hungry bear
    True, that.

• Disneymom

I know that in the movie it called Radiator Springs but my guess is that is not what kids remember. They know it as Cars. So Carsland is going to more reconisable to them. That's why I think they chose that name instead. Sometimes we need to think like kids and that's the way Disney will market it, towards kids.

• =)

Quote Originally Posted by CAspace View Post
    As for the name I really have no problem with the name being radiator springs in carsland. It makes sense from a marketing standpoint which is the whole reason for the Dca redux. Bringing people to the remade park and making it profitable.
    And there I was, hoping the point of this Extreme Makeover: Theme Park Edition was to create a better park.

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Besides my personal experience of having camped, hiked, biked and driven 66 from Victorville to Amarillo for years (many of them in my '66 Mustang), I could point you to:
    "...Pastels, watercolors, and pencil sketches of such scenic vistas as Ornament Valley, Cadillac Range, and Radiator Cap Butte, based on familiar landmarks as Arizona’s Monument Valley rock formations and the Cadillac Ranch in Amarillo, Texas."
    -- The Art of CARS Live at the L.A. Petersen Automotive Museum
    2aday.wordpress.com/2008/03/05/disney-pixar-cars-the-art-of-cars-live-at-the-la-petersen-automotive-museum/

"Owen Wilson blandly voices Lightning McQueen, a rookie NASCAR racecar who, on his way to California for the climactic contest of the stock car season, gets waylaid in the Arizona burgh of Radiator Springs, a once-hopping Route 66 stopping point that has been Nowheresville since the new interstate bypassed it in 1966."
    -- Review, 7/1/06
    isteve.com/Film_Cars.htm

"The setting for the fictional town of Radiator Springs is situated between Gallup, New Mexico and Kingman, Arizona."
    -- Pixar Wiki
    pixar.wikia.com/wiki/Cars

Well, there you go then.

Which again makes me think that the "California" will (hopefully) be dropped from the name.

I mean, if we have the same entrance as Disney's Hollywood Studios, perhaps a similar name couldn't be so far off???

• =)

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Which again makes me think that the "California" will (hopefully) be dropped from the name. I mean, if we have the same entrance as Disney's Hollywood Studios, perhaps a similar name couldn't be so far off???
    I would hope not. Very little in the park would support that theme. What'll soon be called Hollywoodland will fit the bill most closely...but there'll also be significant elements from northern California...and Arizona...and fictional oceans near Denmark...and the beach without a beach...and the tiny world of bugs. None of these support a studio theme. Unless, of course, you consider a studio theme as an excuse to put movie-based attractions all over the place, which is pretty much the biggest thematic cop-out imaginable.

• Circle of Ancients

But, even WDS is not just a "Studio" park. It's got the backlot (which would be the HPB of DCA) and also Sunset Boulevard, etc which isn't themed to a movie back-stage AT ALL.

Like I said before, the non-movie themed attractions (Grizzly, Screamin', Soarin' and the Bread/Tortilla tour) could be switched over to a movie theme rather easily.

Screamin' could be the long-rumored Villains themed coaster. Grizzly could be like the Natures Wonderland films. The only problems would be Soarin' (with the current film) and the tours (which who knows if they will still be there or not).

• The one, the only...

Carsland looks to be the real jewel of DCA. Just as New Orleans Square is the jewel of Disneyland. I do wish that the name was Radiator Springs over the truly unimaginative name of Carsland. The movie does put Radiator Springs in Arizona, but still that California theme has been so watered down, I don't think it would matter in the long run.

My fear about Carsland, is that they cut the budget and weaken the whole theme.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• Senior Minion

The theme is remaining California, just California of Walt's era. They say that over and over in the video in the preview center and every addition is meant to support the theme of the land it's in, which in turn supports the theme of the entire park. There is very little about actual movie making at DCA, and they are not adding a single thing to support that theme. You may think that's a better theme, but that's not the direction they are taking the park.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• The one, the only...

While I love the idea of adding fantasy elements to DCA, I think that the arguement that the new DCA will be Walt's California is a bit of stretch.

The movie Cars is set in a fictional place of Radiator Springs where Cars are people. Now automobiles are an important part of California culture, but our cars do not talk, have personalities, or need to date other autos.

Certainly the entrance to the park will attempt to recreate a real California of Walt Disney in the 1920's. That is great, but Paradise Pier, Grizzly Mountain, and Carsland are fictional places that never existed in reality.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• Senior Minion

Just like Adventure Land, Fantasy Land and Frontier Land never existed. They are a pastiche, an mix of real elements to create an environment that feels like a real place, though many of the details are a mix of different places. IMO theme parks shouldn't strive for complete historic accuracy or recreate a real place, but rather create an emotional connection with the guest. In Walt's California animals and cars can talk, elephants can fly, and mermaids exist, Walt had an imagination, unlike some people.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• =)

I agree with much of what you're saying, Uncle Bob, but...

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    In Walt's California animals and cars can talk
    I don't remember Walt featuring talking cars in his work...

elephants can fly
    I don't remember flying elephants in DCA...

and mermaids exist
    I don't remember Ariel moving to California...

Just sayin'.

• Senior Minion

No talking cars huh, are you sure? Well, just about anything can talk in Walt's California.

You didn't see the flying elephant of Soarin'? Pay attention better next time.

I thought you knew that Ariel immigrated to California during the Great Mackerel Famine of 1927. What you may not know is that this is when the term Holly Mackerel came into use.

Geez Data, I thought you knew your Disney history.
    -Walt Disney

So I have a few questions about Cars Land having looked at the concept art - and wondered if those that are in the "know" or have closely viewed the artwork at the preview center may be able to shed some light (this seemed like the right thread to do it... if there's another out there - let me know):

1) The three attractions have been announced... but there hasn't been much disclosed yet regarding the rest of the land (shops and restaurants, I guess...) Any ideas what the Sally/Teepee area will be? Separate gift shops? Counter service? There are two massive ware-house style buildings... one on the left-hand side as you enter, immediately after the Mater ride. The other directly across from RSR on the "right" side of the artwork (with a white-rimmed circular top). Are these show buildings? Restaurants? Shops? They just seem like big chunks of real estate... so it got me wondering

2) Regarding Radiator Springs Racers. Will the queue be that house-like building directly in front of the "RS mesa"? I would think the queue would have to be pretty massive for a ride expected to be enormously popular. Also, where is the "indoor" portion of the ride? Is it in the big slickrock structure in the NE corner of the artwork?

The whole thing has me genuinely intrigued... and I'm looking forward to seeing it develop over the next few years..

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast