Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567

Re: Anyone concerned with Cars Land?

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    I agree. I expect many field days from you! And as many from myself as I can muster, naturally, being a non-AP and having to pay for a few hours of public transportation to get to the park...

Hey...speaking of field days with theme park construction...any luck with those Splash Mountain shots? Turnabout's fair play, after all...after those times you've bugged me about making my model 4D...
    The Splash Mountain shots will come after I buy a new computer and negative/slide scanner, hopefully in the next week or so. Then I'm going to redo all of them to higher quality and add the new ones.

Speaking of a 4D model... I'm thinking of starting up a "Disneyland: Then and Now" site where I post some of my own Now photos as compared to some of the brilliant old 1950's-1970's Then photos from sites like davelandweb, etc. And I would elicit others to add their own. Something like this probably exists, but mine would be better! hehe Anyway, THEN you can build that 4D model because you'll have all the info needed!

• =)

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
    The Splash Mountain shots will come after I buy a new computer and negative/slide scanner, hopefully in the next week or so. Then I'm going to redo all of them to higher quality and add the new ones.
    That will be wonderful! I can't wait. Thanks so much for taking the time to do this.

Speaking of a 4D model... I'm thinking of starting up a "Disneyland: Then and Now" site where I post some of my own Now photos as compared to some of the brilliant old 1950's-1970's Then photos from sites like davelandweb, etc. And I would elicit others to add their own. Something like this probably exists, but mine would be better! hehe Anyway, THEN you can build that 4D model because you'll have all the info needed!
    That would be purely AWESOME. I think it'd be really fun to take some of the older shots - one where things are really different now - and attempt to take modern photos in the exact same spots with the exact same angles and similar lenses. One area that particularly comes to mind is the old chicken plantation where NOS is now.

Forgive me as I jump in late on the fast moving thread....

I can't wait for Cars Land! Leave it to us Disney nuts to start critiquing a massive park expansion based off of a few paragraphs of slick PR and a small handful of vague, hazy overhead sketches drawn from 500 feet above the ground.

This thing is a year away from even starting construction, we've only been given the tiniest bit of information and vague conceptual images of it, and we certainly have no idea what it all means yet.

Disney will do this right. They have the team in place and the check in the bank and the will to go through with it. The rides will all have very long lines. The shops will sell souvenirs like gangbusters. The place will be full of enough eye candy and fabulous touches to keep Darkbeer busy for months.

Cars Land will be just great. Probably the best thing Anaheim has seen since Indiana Jones, if not since Walt's time.

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    That would be purely AWESOME. I think it'd be really fun to take some of the older shots - one where things are really different now - and attempt to take modern photos in the exact same spots with the exact same angles and similar lenses. One area that particularly comes to mind is the old chicken plantation where NOS is now.
    Seriously, you read my mind about NOS and the Chicken Plantation! It was this photo from davelandweb that got me thinking about it. This shot is from the southern end of the Chicken Plantation looking at where Tarzan's Treehouse/Pirates entrance is, where the original Indian Village was in 1955! Now that's just amazing! Another view from east of the old bridge looking at the Indian Village. Anyway, we're getting way off topic... hehe

• =)

Quote Originally Posted by TP2000 View Post
    Cars Land will be just great. Probably the best thing Anaheim has seen since Indiana Jones, if not since Walt's time.
    I agree, though I don't think it'll be better than Indy. Bigger, yes.

But...

Leave it to us Disney nuts to start critiquing a massive park expansion based off of a few paragraphs of slick PR and a small handful of vague, hazy overhead sketches drawn from 500 feet above the ground.

This thing is a year away from even starting construction, we've only been given the tiniest bit of information and vague conceptual images of it, and we certainly have no idea what it all means yet.
    I don't hear people complaining about the execution or about the details or anything like that. Of course we have no idea how good they'll be. The only things I'm concerned about are things that they have made official - the name and the fact that it's a setting from another state. They're building an area called "Cars Land" based on a locale in a fictionalized version of Arizona - nothing uncertain or vague or unpredictable about that. No matter how amazing the experience is, those two elements will still be there, gnawing away at me just a little bit.

As I've said before, I'd rather have a poorly named, thematically irrelevant area that blows my socks off with attractions and detail and entertainment value than an area that makes perfect sense in DCA yet bores me to death. But it'd be nice if the new land were fun and thematically relevant and properly named.

• Senior Minion

Someone needs to take some good pics of the parking lot, so you compare and contrast Cars Land in photos when it's done.

Also, while I agree that you haven't really complained about details Data, others have. They've said that the small rides will be off the shelf, they've said there won't be enough to do, they've said all kinds of silly things based on little info. I mean how anyone can compare the cliffs of RSR with the rocks in the path to TL is beyond me.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• =)

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    Someone needs to take some good pics of the parking lot, so you compare and contrast Cars Land in photos when it's done.
    I took just a few earlier this year.

Also, while I agree that you haven't really complained about details Data, others have. They've said that the small rides will be off the shelf, they've said there won't be enough to do, they've said all kinds of silly things based on little info. I mean how anyone can compare the cliffs of RSR with the rocks in the path to TL is beyond me.
    Good point, forgot about that. Yeah, I don't see how we can complain about things like that so early on.

• "I Break Things"

I did a lot of thinking and almost quoted a majority of the last two pages. I find it ironic that many would not accept a movie themed land in Disneyland but find it entirely appropriate in DCA? This confuses me. Is it suddenly acceptable to have lower standards because "the park is being redone anyways and needs something to get people through the gate". Instead of quality, authentic, original theming, individuals are willing to simply trade quality for quantity of characters and movie tie-ins. Please realize that if earlier generations had gone this "easy route" then many of our beloved attractions like Pirates, Jungle, Matterhorn, Space Mountain, and Haunted Mansion would have DIRECT movie tie-ins. Many of our most beloved lands like Adventureland, New Orleans Square, Frontierland and Tomorrowland would have specific movie based names! I for one am grateful there isn't a Treasure Island Land, or a Jungle Book Land or a Tarzan Land. I'm glad we don't have a Lost in Space Land which may have become Buck Rogers Land before becoming Star Wars Land. So... there you have it.

I also fail to understand why they are placing another desert environment into the park. They HAVE Condor Flats... I would think they would simply add Condor into Carsland and make one unique desert themed environment. Instead we have desert and mini desert.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• no flash photography...

The only thing that confuses me is the name. Why don't they just call it radiator springs?

on a side note. i had no idea where the blue sky cellar was so i asked a cm....guess where he told me to go? ..................he suggested i try the disney gallery above new orleans square.

I eventually found the blue sky cellar on my own.

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    I also fail to understand why they are placing another desert environment into the park. They HAVE Condor Flats... I would think they would simply add Condor into Carsland and make one unique desert themed environment. Instead we have desert and mini desert.
    Good point. I suppose they could retheme the Soarin' building and remove the Condor Flats theming, the highway (is it officially Route 66?) and make something that expands on Grizzly.

Or, I wonder how much it would cost to move Soarin' to Cars Land?

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
    Good point. I suppose they could retheme the Soarin' building and remove the Condor Flats theming, the highway (is it officially Route 66?) and make something that expands on Grizzly.

Or, I wonder how much it would cost to move Soarin' to Cars Land?
    Retheming Condor Flats appears to be a lot more difficult then it sounds. Likewise moving it would be highly expensive and many would argue pointless. I just think it's funny that in their rush to put in a Cars themed land they are overlooking the desert area they already have.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567