Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Resident Ghost

IMPORTANT - Effect of Disneyland on America

So, I have to do a cause and effect essay and I want the topic to be about how Disneyland affected the world, but I can't come up with enough things. I thought maybe some of you DL experts could chime in!

• =)

Re: IMPORTANT - Effect of Disneyland on America

Sorry to start off on such an unromantic and mundane note, but...I believe some of the insects they've brought into the park for pest control have been beneficial for the entire state. =)

• Resident Ghost

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    Sorry to start off on such an unromantic and mundane note, but...I believe some of the insects they've brought into the park for pest control have been beneficial for the entire state. =)
    Woah, are you serious? That's cool!

• Shubisha

IMPORTANT
    I'm not really sure myself

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Bacon View Post
    So, I have to do a cause and effect essay and I want the topic to be about how Disneyland affected the world, but I can't come up with enough things.
    Disneyland's effect on not only American culture, but especially how America was perceived by other cultures, was enormous. My suggestion would be to get to a largish library and search the nation's major magazines and newspapers between 1955 and 1970. You will come up with more things than your essay can possibly hold.

And if you really want to ace it, call Ray Bradbury's agent and see if he'd grant an interview.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    Are you talking about the little flying insects brought in to eat the bigger flying insects or the nano AA robotic insects WDI created for the upcoming DCA Bugsland dark ride?

• =)

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
    Are you talking about the little flying insects brought in to eat the bigger flying insects or the nano AA robotic insects WDI created for the upcoming DCA Bugsland dark ride?

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Bacon View Post
    So, I have to do a cause and effect essay and I want the topic to be about how Disneyland affected the world, but I can't come up with enough things. I thought maybe some of you DL experts could chime in!
    There are a number of excellent books and articles out there about Disney's influence on society. My advice is to find a really good library, maybe Anaheim Main Branch or the Cal State Fullerton Library and just do a search on Disney or Disneyland. You will have more data than you could ever use. Good Luck.

Oops...didn't notice the first time that you are in Lodi so the libraries I listed won't work. For your area try the Sacramento Main Library or there are a number of libraries that allow you to research online. Plus your local library may have research resources via computer that you can access.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

I actually wrote almost this very same essay in high school.

The first book I would suggest is Main Street Revisited, it is nt long and discussed how Main Street, USA reshapped how Americans think about commercial centers, be it Main Street or the local mall.

Disneyland completely reinvigorated the entire amusement industry, one that involves billions of dollars every year. Angus Wynn's plan with Six Flags Over Texas (and later Georgia and Mid-America) was to offer something kind of like Disneyland, but closer and cheaper. The United States today is the amusement capital of the world. The roller coasters that dot the countries landscape are mostly made of tubular steel, the first of which was the Matterhorn.

The theme parks are almost entirely what kept Walt Disney Productions afloat in the late 70s to early 80s. The Walt Disney Company is today one of the largest media companies in the entire world and the last big US movie studio not to be owned by a larger company.

Look up some of the places that the term "E-Ticket" has appeared. Spider-Man used it in the 1990s cartoon series. Sally Ride used it to describe the shuttle launch.

• Hello

Cool Re: IMPORTANT - Effect of Disneyland on America

I have no suggestions other than how Walt Disney said that Disneyland will never be finished. For me that changes the way I look at projects and mostly everything I do.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Here's what I'd talk about, The local economy in Southern California before Disneyland was built, what that area was just orange groves and Anaheim was a lackluster city. Then compare it to how Disneyland has boosted that local economy and lured other businesses into that area.

Disneyland brought not just it's own business to the area, other businesses followed them and helped boost the economy in that region.

Cause: Walt wanted to create a themed park in California in which the whole family could enjoy.

Effect: In doing so, he helped boost California's economy by building a destination resort in the middle of a small, sleepy city named Anaheim. He paved the trail and businesses followed. They paved the way for the creation of more jobs in the area, more homes, more money, they brought in tourists, etc. By bringing in tourists they were able to get money from out of state and invest it locally for products and goods from other businesses in the area. Also talk about how Disneyland opened up a new industry that was different from the amusement park industry of its time. I'm talking about the non-existent theme park industry that Walt helped give life to in America. Had Disneyland not been created, Would Knott's Berry Farm be around today? Don't forget to make mention of all the new technology Walt and his team invented for his Disneyland attractions that soon got adapted by other theme parks. Technology such as the steel tracks used in the Matterhorn. Disneyland is the first theme park to ever use that type of track and other theme park's used Walt's idea and applied it to their own attractions. Even to this day Disney still develops technology for their theme parks that is way beyond their competitors technology. So in a way they are still a trend setter in the theme park industry.

You should also see if you can find stats in regards to how many people Disneyland has employed since it's opening day, How much money the park usually generates each year, maybe see if Disneyland has been associated with local charity events, etc.

My point all wrapped up:

You can talk about the money Disneyland brings/brought into the area, the jobs Disneyland brings/brought into the area, the comeptition Disneyland brings/brought into the area (Competition that created even more jobs and brought more money into the area), the tourists Disneyland brings/brought into the area, the technology they develop(ed) and the trends they continue to set in a field Walt helped kick start.

Maybe see if you can find how much it cost Walt and his crew to build Disneyland and their attractions during his lifetime and then try to estimate how much money that would be in todays society since the value of our current dollar seems to be weaker now than it was back then.

Sorry, can't think of anything in regards to the impact Disneyland had globally, but I think it would be much easier if you focused on the impact it had, and still has on Southern California's economy.

• Walt Disney Fan

Disney's effect on the world is enormous!

It's a step to get out of everyday life. If it's the theme parks, the shows, the movies, and everything else they do.

Disney is all around you

In your research, I would recommend focusing more on Walt Disney's influence than on that of the part. The park changed the way the public perceived amusement parks and roller coasters forever, but I think the Disney films had a much more dramatic impact on America and indeed the world.

In some cases, the Disney film has become the definitive version of the story in question.

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

What you should do is see if you can find some sort of a list of dignitaries that have visited Disneyland over the years. I mean, Richard Nixon was at the opening of the Monorail in 1959 - my point being is that Disneyland has had a profound effect on America AND the world! People come from all walks of life - even to this day - to visit Walt Disney's ORIGINAL Magic Kingdom.........the place that Walt Disney himself 'played'........

• Collision speed....FULL!

Not sure if this helps or not, but this was a school project I did back in 2007 (which explains the outdated info). It covers the 1959 attractions (Monorails, Submarine Voyage, Matterhorn) shows their concept, constructions, opening, updates and why they are important. In the opening section, there are quite a important people who attended, which shows how big of a deal Disneyland was.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=http:...?v=TSKuG47YvR0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast