View Poll Results: Which ride will you demolish to make room for your new favorite ride of all time?

Voters
118. You may not vote on this poll
  • Big Thunder Mountain Railroad

43 36.44%
  • Matterhorn Bobsleds

23 19.49%
  • Space Mountain

16 13.56%
  • Splash Mountain

36 30.51%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

• Circle of Ancients

Re: Sophie's Choice: Disneyland Style!

Quote Originally Posted by bee1000 View Post
    I'm changing my answer from Splash to...Space Mountain! OMG! What am I thinking?!

I'm thinking this: The key parts of the question are that this new ride will be my very favorite ride at Disneyland, and it will be appropriately themed to its location. Most of us are thinking, "Let's get rid of my 4th-favorite mountain, and that way I don't lose much."

Here's another approach: Which would you rather have:
    • A new Frontierland-themed ride in place of BTMRR.
    • A new whatever-land-Matterhorn-is-in-themed ride.
    • A new Critter Country-themed ride
    • A new Tomorrowland-themed ride
    To me, Space is a viable answer because this ride will be so good it will be better than Space Mountain and it will have some sort of futuristic theme. I'd be willing to give up Space Mountain to see that.

(Or at least I'm willing to suggest it to see what you all think!)
    I still say get rid of Splash. They could do MUCH more with the Critter Country theme than they are doing now. Plus, for all intents and purposes, you could ditch the Critter Country Theme and make it an extension of Frontierland anyway. The Canoes and TSI are certainly themed to Frontierland already.

• =)

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Plus, for all intents and purposes, you could ditch the Critter Country Theme and make it an extension of Frontierland anyway. The Canoes and TSI are certainly themed to Frontierland already.
    But what about NOS? You'd have two areas of the Old West separated by turn-of-the-century Louisiana.

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    Now...I've heard a variety of complaints against Splash, many of which I can relate to. But on the grounds of theme? That's not one you hear too often. I assume you're talking about its appropriateness to Critter Country, not its own internal thematic consistency? After all, it seems thoroughly consistent with itself, but Critter Country is a rather confused little land.
    Both the ride and the land have critters in them, don't they?

Quote Originally Posted by JChapinCP View Post
    since this is a hypothetical questions we have to assume that money is no object. That being the case, a true imagineer would, IMO, think outside the box and find a solution to provide a new E-ticket ride while working around the mountains.
    Well, if we ignore the main hypothetical assumption of the topic, then there still is room in Disneyland for major new attractions (how many people would have thought that Indiana Jones couldn't fit in Adventureland without demolishing the Jungle Cruise?). But this kind of defeats the whole point of the thread.

As for thinking outside the box, they could think outside of resort boundaries and slant-drill an attraction under Harbor Blvd.

I guess I would still argue that it's the rest of Critter Country that needs to be removed, not Splash, though.
    Paradise Pier should go first--let's stay focused and prioritized here, as there are only so many wrecking balls and bulldozers to go around. My, aren't we a positive bunch! We can contemplate addition by subtraction all day long.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie View Post
    I know! For a moment I thought that this would be about a ride based on the film "Sophie's Choice."
    Great idea! The new ride could be added to Auschwitzland (formerly Paradise Pier) in the re-themed Disney's World War II Adventure park, where you can enjoy other fine attractions such as Soarin' Over Ruhr Valley, the Bataan Challenge Trail, and a live Broadway-style musical version of Der Fuehrer's Face.
    Last edited by Robert Cook; 10-21-2008 at 01:51 PM.

• Special Agent

I voted the Matterhorn. There's no real story, hardly any details, and the ride is about as rough as a car wreck.

I find it odd that so many folks would be willing to vote Splash Mountain off the island rather than the Matterhorn. When all is said and done I guess theme, story, details and AA's really don't mean anything when compared to nostalgia.

My second vote would have gone to Big Thunder. That ride has the weakest ending. I guess with Splash and Thunder getting the top votes, it's a bad day for Mr. Baxter.

I voted BMTR. Although I would miss hearing "This here's the wildest ride in the wilderness!"

As far as ride quality goes, I would have voted off Matterhorn, but that's usually the first DL landmark that I can see as we drive towards the park, so for sentimental reasons it had to stay.
    A little bit about me...
    First Disneyland Trip: Oct. 1989
    Mandatory first ride: POTC
    Mandatory food: Clam chowder in bread bowl & a churro (not at the same time though)
    Next trip goals:
    1) Ride the Casey Jr. Circus Train. I didn't get around to it on this past trip.
    2) Get over to TSI.
    3) Try a jalapeño/cheese pretzel. Yummy!

• Keepin' it calsteady

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Cook View Post
    Great idea! The new ride could be added to Auschwitzland (formerly Paradise Pier) in the re-themed Disney's World War II Adventure park, where you can enjoy other fine attractions such as Soarin' Over Ruhr Valley, the Bataan Challenge Trail, and a live Broadway-style musical version of Der Fuehrer's Face.
    Now that's just inappopriate!

Perhaps we could start another thread for What Would North Korea Disneyland Be Like?

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    I voted the Matterhorn. There's no real story, hardly any details, and the ride is about as rough as a car wreck.

I find it odd that so many folks would be willing to vote Splash Mountain off the island rather than the Matterhorn. When all is said and done I guess theme, story, details and AA's really don't mean anything when compared to nostalgia.

My second vote would have gone to Big Thunder. That ride has the weakest ending. I guess with Splash and Thunder getting the top votes, it's a bad day for Mr. Baxter.
    Nostalgia had nothing to do with my decision. The Matterhorn has a pretty small footprint, and SM has a whole showbuilding as well as the outer shell. Much more room for a new attraction. Even if I didn't think CC's eradication was a great idea thematically and aesthetically, I still would have picked SplM for practical reasons--real estate.

• Special Agent

Quote Originally Posted by fo'c's'le swab View Post
    Nostalgia had nothing to do with my decision. The Matterhorn has a pretty small footprint, and SM has a whole showbuilding as well as the outer shell. Much more room for a new attraction. Even if I didn't think CC's eradication was a great idea thematically and aesthetically, I still would have picked SplM for practical reasons--real estate.
    That's a cop out. The premise of the thread was based on the completely irrational idea that whatever ride replaced X attraction, it would be your favorite. Size, scope, theme, budget, etc were not to be of consideration at all.

Besides, realistically speaking, Splash probably has the smallest in-park footprint of all of those mountains. Space Mountain and Thunder Mountain take up far more space, even when factoring in the showbuilding outside the park.

• =)

Besides, realistically speaking, Splash probably has the smallest in-park footprint of all of those mountains. Space Mountain and Thunder Mountain take up far more space, even when factoring in the showbuilding outside the park.
    Splash Mountain: 1.24 acres
    Big Thunder Mountain Railroad: 2.16 acres
    Space Mountain: 1.35 acres (0.97 without the space above HISTA)
    Matterhorn Bobsleds: 1.32 acres

So yes, Splash Mountain is the smallest of them all, but the margin is small when it comes to Space and the Matterhorn. Also, Splash Mountain has an extraordinarily cleverly-designed shape - it uses no more land than it absolutely has to. The others have a lot more open space - BTMRR has areas where the coaster doesn't travel, Space Mountain has the huge terrace above HISTA, and the Matterhorn has the various lakes and so forth around the periphery. Not at all a bad thing! Just pointing out one of the reasons for the difference.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Thanks Data.

Even more reason to justify my Thunder vote.

• =)

You're welcome, aashee! =)

That's a cop out. The premise of the thread was based on the completely irrational idea that whatever ride replaced X attraction, it would be your favorite. Size, scope, theme, budget, etc were not to be of consideration at all.
    You're on to something there...but the problem with that logic is that bee1000 never said each attraction's theoretical replacement would be exactly as enjoyable as the others. All we were guaranteed was that whatever we picked would be replaced by a great ride. All things being equal, a bigger ride is usually better, for the simple reason that you're bound to end up with a longer ride, greater immersion, and/or faster speed.

So while I still haven't made my decision for voting, I can see some logic in picking whichever one is the biggest. That would clearly point to BTMRR, as I pointed out in my post above, which I'm just not willing to let go of. I didn't give BTMRR the appreciation it deserved for years...for some reason, it took me a while to figure out that I consistently enjoyed it a lot and had a lot of respect for the level of theming.

• Special Agent

And those are just the footprints correct? I wonder how big the difference would be when you count square footage.

Let's see... Space Mountain is a cone with a radius of 200 feet and a height of 118 feet. What was that equation - 2/3 pi times what... hmmmm.

• Special Agent

You're on to something there...but the problem with that logic is that bee1000 never said each attraction's theoretical replacement would be exactly as enjoyable as the others.
    Well maybe Bee added it after the initial posting, but when I saw post #1, it specifically said that whatever attraction replaced it, would instantly be my favorite. I would assume they meant to imply that the new attraction would actually be MORE enjoyable than the previous version.

There's a lot of other things I could add to this thread, if you want to get technical and realistic, but i think that really diverts away from the intent of this thread: a rather unrealistic life or death choice. From that pov I think the Matterhorn, being the oldest, has had a good life.

• =)

And those are just the footprints correct? I wonder how big the difference would be when you count square footage.

Let's see... Space Mountain is a cone with a radius of 200 feet and a height of 118 feet. What was that equation - 2/3 pi times what... hmmmm.
    You mean cubic footage? The footprint is square footage. However, in any case, the volume (cubic footage) of the attractions in question isn't relevant - the theoretical new attractions could be as short or tall as the designers wanted. The footprint issue is far more restrictive, since we're assuming other attractions or areas won't be touched.

Besides, I daresay Splash Mountain very well could occupy a larger volume than Space Mountain, though I'm gonna have a much harder time backing that one up with numbers. Space Mountain is a bit taller, but a significant portion of that acreage I posted was taken up by the terrace above HISTA, which has very little volume. Without that, its footprint is smaller than that of Splash Mountain, which has rather bulky buildings to contain the queue, represent Chickapin Hill, house all the animatronic scenes, and connect the two main structures. Their volumes are comparable at the very least.

EDIT:

Well maybe Bee added it after the initial posting, but when I saw post #1, it specifically said that whatever attraction replaced it, would instantly be my favorite. I would assume they meant to imply that the new attraction would actually be MORE enjoyable than the previous version.
    No no, you're misunderstanding me. What I'm saying is that bee1000 never made a comparison between the different hypothetical replacements. Presumably, each of the four would be different, since their respective lands are quite different. Bee never guaranteed that Splash Mountain's replacement would be as good as the Matterhorn's, for instance...we just know that either one would be very enjoyable. If one wants to maximize the quality of the replacement, it makes sense to pick the attraction with the largest footprint, then, in some ways. But I won't be following that strategy, as I said.

EDIT AGAIN:

I finally voted for the Matterhorn. Wasn't a happy decision, but I just couldn't bring myself to vote for any of the others. If I'd waited till tomorrow, Splash might have gotten the axe. Hard to say.
    Last edited by Datameister; 10-21-2008 at 08:17 PM.

Based on evidence that I uncovered at the scene, it's the perilous story of how Frank Wells really bought it: he survived the helicopter crash thanks to his trusty golden parachute, only to personally provide sustenance for Harold.

It's pretty cool going on a bobsled ride through mountain caves and caverns. To be honest, I don't really "get" Splash Mountain quite as intuitively, no matter how fancy and well detailed it is.

As much as I love Big Thunder Mountain, that's what he gets for replacing a larger themed area that had several modes of transportation with a rollercoaster (no matter how elaborate and well designed). Sorry, Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by Extravabonanza View Post
    I voted BMTR. Although I would miss hearing "This here's the wildest ride in the wilderness!"
    You know, I've never liked the spiel since the emphasis was inexplicably moved to "WILDERNESS!"

Now that's just inappopriate!
    I know, but I've been on a roll with these edgy, multilayered jokes lately--gotta milk it. For the record, I was poking fun at theme park attractions, not making light of the human tragedies themselves.

Perhaps we could start another thread for What Would North Korea Disneyland Be Like?
    Now you're talking! I'll have to think about that one.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast