•   
    • Dept. 41 and Club 55

What was the name of the older man who would come to Disneyland every day?

A while ago I read an article about an older man who would come to Disneyland everyday. He would sit in the same spot everyday and watch the parade. He would remember many cast member's names, and most knew him, including the main gate cast members who would let him in. The web page about him also included a newspaper article when he passed away. I think the article dated from the late 80's or early 90's For the life of me, I can't remember his name, and I would like to read that article again. Anyone know this man's name?

Re: What was the name of the older man who would come to Disneyland every day?

Arthur

Yup, it was Arthur. He believed his job was lost and found retrieval. He was let in each day, wearing his trademark snap bill cap. He so loved to sit at the base of the Train Station with 'other' Cast Members to watch parades. He was a very sweet man. I was there from 3/86 to 12/90. I do not know when he passed on. Anyone know?

Speaking of old men who go to Disneyland everyday...yesterday we were in line for the Storybookland boats and we met an older man. He said he had been there every day since the the 27th of last month! He said that Disney offered him a job but then they didn't have one so he's living in his car, going to Disneyland everyday waiting for Disney to offer him another job!
    ap·pur·te·nant – adjective: appertaining or belonging; pertaining.

...to Disneyland.

• Banned User

Disneyland, I Go So Much Might As Well Live There!
    Blog Entries

There was a thread with an article posted on here somewhere, can't seem to find it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan - Tasmic! View Post
    There was a thread with an article posted on here somewhere, can't seem to find it.
    Here you go...

Opus Archives: Remembering "Arthur"

• Banned User

I was going to say Walt, but OBVIOUSLY I'm wrong!

• Is it summer yet???

I worked at Disneyland from 1981 until 1984 and I remember Arthur! I can't believe that he kept going until the 90's! He would walk around hunched over and just kind of mumble and talk to himself - "yup, yup". Oh, sweet Arthur!

Speaking of "Oldie's but Goodies".....does anyone remember "The Poodle Lady"? She was around in the early 80's also. Rod (the piano player) and others would "encourage" nightly "launches" after the park closed. She was "unique". She would purchase all sorts of random things inside the park and then "launch" them with Mickey balloons (non-mylar, of course). It was a hoot and a half! I think security caught "wind" of it and canceled said "launches" eventually.
    Rally Rat, Oh how I've missed thee!

•   
    • Dept. 41 and Club 55

Quote Originally Posted by Opus1guy View Post
    Eureka! That was exactly what I remembered reading. Thanks!

• Is it summer yet???

Thanks for posting that link! It made me all warm and fuzzy. Such a sweet man. Even before I saw the pictures, I could remember everything about him! The hat, the bag, the teeth and the "How are you today? Fine, yep, yep". Wonder if the Disney Resort of the 21st century would be so kind to sweet old Arthur.
    Rally Rat, Oh how I've missed thee!

• Super Genius

This story is cute and sad at the same time. I wonder if he was lonely so the cast members were the closest thing to friends he had. Suppose he was never married (or worse yet, widowed) and had no children.
    When I go to Disneyland, I tune my FRS Radio to channel 2, without a quiet code. They're faster than a cell phone and you can talk to a whole group at a time, and you don't have to get everyone's cell phone number in advance.