Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• I'm not really here

Re: What new restaurant would you put in DCA?

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    This sounds possible, but not tied into ToT because Hollywood n Dine is on the other side of the theater.
    Except it's not there any more. All we have now is the Studio Catering and Award Wieners.[/quote]

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    I'm thinking along those lines, but more like the South Seas Club from Rocketeer or something similar. A restaurant where live jazz and swing music can be heard at a bandstand; A female singer under spotlight; a trumpet player who sings too; and maybe a photopass photographer who is in a tux that goes around taking your picture at your table... and charges the same fee as they did in the past. Just for fun.
    That is exactly what I'm thinking. I knew there was a better movie example than Club Obi-Wan. I haven't seen the Rocketeer in a LONG time. Thanks for that. The South Seas Club style would be perfect.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    Except it's not there any more. All we have now is the Studio Catering and Award Wieners.
    The building is there (usually used for Cast activities and sometimes for private parties) and could easily be refurbished to suit this concept.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    I think the cheaper diner offerings over in the HPB could be augmented with one really classy restaurant. I was thinking that a great option would be to have a sit down, 30s style club attached to the Hollywood Tower Hotel. Kind of like a Club Obi-Wan in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. Could have occasional live music and such. But that level of 30s opulence and elegance. You could even have some cool "haunted" effects from time to time done subtly above around a balcony, or down hallways that are inaccesible to tie it to the ToT. Period music, the whole works. Waiters in the white coats and all. Call it the Tower Club or something. Chandeliers, crystal everywhere.
    Here I had this great concept and you put it into words brilliantly, mycroft...so congratulations on succesfully reading my mind in the past before I thought of it! lol. I kid naturally...but this would be a brilliant idea, I second this one wholeheartedly...nice table service, special effects, and a very swank interior.
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    The building is there (usually used for Cast activities and sometimes for private parties) and could easily be refurbished to suit this concept.
    Ah... I see what you are saying now.

When I originally had this idea, the whole DCA thing hadn't been announced yet at all so I was thinking of tying it directly to the tower. But with the remake of the whole HPB area, it could work well anywhere in there and to use the existing building would probably save a lot of upfront cost in construction.

I love the idea of setting it at night and having lightning and thunder out the windows (like in the library of ToT). Might be fun to have it set that very night... in the lobby to the restaurant they could have jazz on the radio and then a "we interrupt this broadcast to bring you a breaking news report... lightning has just struck the Hollywood Tower Hotel..." kind of thing. Subtle, in the background... but fun and would tie things togteher a bit.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Minion FOREVER!

Ok, Definitely can't put in all of these ideas... (only need one high end place per park)...

* I really like the idea of a restaurant linked to the ToT... but it really should be set in the timeline (if I remember correctly wasn't that the 20s?). Halfway thru the meal, the staff should go 'ghostly' :-)

* Should have a winery eatery that simulates eating outside in Napa right at sunset.

* Definitely put in a Brown Derby.

* I like the SF bay cruise idea....

* Put in a eatery in the Bug's Land that has a "Bug" concert using animatronics.

* Put in a "Fish Market" right in the new Mermaid ride.

* Could do a "who dun'it" Solve-a-crime Dashiell Hammett restaurant in the SF area... yeah, I know that much of that's going away.

• The one, the only...

Quote Originally Posted by nish221 View Post
    Ok, Definitely can't put in all of these ideas... (only need one high end place per park)...

I like all the ideas so far too. But I have to respectfully disagree that there cannot be more than one "high end" place per park. Epcot has several really high end restaurants which mostly are extremely busy. And I think you don't have to over charge to make a place high end. Why not have some Disney creativity to some moderately priced places? With all the Disneyland APers, if there were more "experiences" with dining, I see more coming to the park for dinner.

My interest is not making more expensive restaurants, but more immersive ones.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• Christmastime for Rocker

Blog Entries

I would like Disney to get an endorsement from In-n-Out to take the place where the McDonald's use to be next to Pizza Owm-Mow-Mow. In-n-Out is a California icon, and it would fit with California's culture.

• Minion FOREVER!

Quote Originally Posted by JiminyCricketFan View Post
    I like all the ideas so far too. But I have to respectfully disagree that there cannot be more than one "high end" place per park. Epcot has several really high end restaurants which mostly are extremely busy. And I think you don't have to over charge to make a place high end. Why not have some Disney creativity to some moderately priced places? With all the Disneyland APers, if there were more "experiences" with dining, I see more coming to the park for dinner.

My interest is not making more expensive restaurants, but more immersive ones.
    Hmmm. you're right!... esp. the Epcot reference. Anyway, completely agree that it doesn't have to be expensive to be immersive and that's what DLR needs.

• Minion FOREVER!

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker View Post
    I would like Disney to get an endorsement from In-n-Out to take the place where the McDonald's use to be next to Pizza Owm-Mow-Mow. In-n-Out is a California icon, and it would fit with California's culture.
    Although In-n-Out is a California icon, (btw, MacDonald's is, too!) I think WDI shouldn't limit themselves to that.

For example, they can have seats looking like cars w/ waitress/waiters on roller skates... amp that up w/ a drive-in showing Disney (or Disney-related
    50s movies).... like Annette Funicello ones!

Or have bonfires (like at a beach). w/ a beach rock&roll dinner/lunch show with ambient surf sounds.

• Walt Disney Fan

Well I heard there might be a type of Sci-Fi Dine in at DCA when cars land opens. It won't be the same but similar. I really liked it when we went to DisneyWorld last summer.

What I would add would be another Hollywood Brown Derby. Disneyland Resort doesn't have that many fancy restaurants and espically at DCA. You could right in the Hollywood block area. They have some area back there and that would be a good restaurant to fit the theme they are trying to reach.

I think that would be awesome.

• Walt Disney Fan

Bring Hollywood Brown Derby to DCA?

Following of the thread "What restaurant would you bring to DCA" i said Hollywood Brown Derby. I think that would be a good restaurant to put back there because the Disney Resort doesn't have that many fancy restaurants and DCA doesn't have any in my opinion.

I think it would fit perfectly back maybe by Tower of Terror or even by the Monsters Inc Mike and Sully to the Rescue ride. It would fit great with the theme they're after of the more 30's hollywood theme.

I don't know what do you think?

Last edited by jackskeleton1015; 10-21-2008 at 05:02 PM.

• Minion FOREVER!

Quote Originally Posted by jackskeleton1015 View Post
    Well I heard there might be a type of Sci-Fi Dine in at DCA when cars land opens. It won't be the same but similar. I really liked it when we went to DisneyWorld last summer.
    Yup, heard that rumor, too. Also heard a following rumor that it was shelved.
    It was supposedly themed to a drive-in.

Quote Originally Posted by jackskeleton1015
    What I would add would be another Hollywood Brown Derby. Disneyland Resort doesn't have that many fancy restaurants and espically at DCA. ...
    Actually, originally, there were four "fancy" restaurants: Wolfgang Puck,
    Vineyard Room, ABC Soap Opera Bistro and the nearby Napa Rose ( 5 if you include StoryTellers.)

Only GCH Restaurants are open in their former state now.
    Last edited by nish221; 10-21-2008 at 05:06 PM.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Re: Bring Hollywood Brown Derby to DCA?

The Where's Boo Ride?

• Banned User

Re: Bring Hollywood Brown Derby to DCA?

Quote Originally Posted by jackskeleton1015 View Post
    Following of the thread "What restaurant would you bring to DCA" i said Hollywood Brown Derby. I think that would be a good restaurant to put back there because the Disney Resort doesn't have that many fancy restaurants and DCA doesn't have any in my opinion.

I think it would fit perfectly back maybe by Tower of Terror or even by the Where's Boo Ride. It would fit great with the theme they're after of the more 30's hollywood theme.

I don't know what do you think?

How about Harry Hausens (I don't think that's spelled right) but that kind of quick serve but good chinese or japanese eating spot...?

• The one, the only...

Quote Originally Posted by nish221 View Post
    Actually, originally, there were four "fancy" restaurants: Wolfgang Puck,
    Vineyard Room, ABC Soap Opera Bistro and the nearby Napa Rose and StoryTellers.

Only GCH Restaurants are open in their former state now.

I think that the four original restaurants were examples of Disney getting it wrong. I don't believe that DCA needs "fancy" restaurants, but immersive ones. Ones that give an experience to the guests that adults and kids can enjoy together. An example of a non-Disney but still immersive restaurant that just opened at WDW is the new T-Rex restaurant. Here dinosaurs join you for dinner. That is the kind of experience that is pure disney-esque.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast