Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

What do you remember from your first trip and how old were you?

I think as MiceChatters we share a special relationship with DL. What I would like to know is, how long has that relationship lasted for all you out there? Has it been a lifetime love or a discovery later in life? And finally, what stands out for your about your first trip?

I first went when I was four. I remember riding in the elevator with my parents and getting a Mickey Mouse pin from a CM. Hiding under the table at the character breakfast from Captain Hook and Mr. Smee. Riding HM. I also remember my dad telling me that the roaring sounds coming from inside the Matterhorn were "just a radio." Boy was he wrong.

Apparently I also fell asleep in my spaghetti at dinner, but I don't remember that on account of being asleep.

So, I've been in love with DL for 19 years. The all out obsession didn't really start until about 12 years ago. How about the rest of you?
    A little bit about me...
    First Disneyland Trip: Oct. 1989
    Mandatory first ride: POTC
    Mandatory food: Clam chowder in bread bowl & a churro (not at the same time though)
    Next trip goals:
    1) Ride the Casey Jr. Circus Train. I didn't get around to it on this past trip.
    2) Get over to TSI.
    3) Try a jalapeño/cheese pretzel. Yummy!

• I'm not really here

Re: What do you remember from your first trip and how old were you?

My first trip was back in '83 at the age of four as well. My grandparents took the whole family, cousins and all. I have VERY vague memories of Jungle Cruise and I remember being terrified of the larger rides (BTMRR, Matterhorn, HM). Though they did get me on Pirates and apparently I loved it.

My true obsession for Disneyland didn't really start until I was 18 and had worked in the high school theater for a bit and understood some of the trickery that was going on. Things only got worse from there and now I'm a full blown addict and junkie. Going on 11 years now.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• E T1CK3T

I don't remember my first time at all. I know I was about 3 yrs old though... but my memory isn't so good, so that's why I don't remember it at all. Besides, there've been sooo many times I've gone since then, so I can't exactly remember each one individually lol.

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

It was probably about 1974 for me. It was an evening and my Mom and Dad and I (wearing a red beanie) went to see The Main Street Electrical Parade - and we were saving a seat in the Hub for my Aunt Shelley to meet us, as she was soon to be off her her shift at Tomorrowland Terrace.......

• =)

My first trip was on my third birthday. My parents tell me I had a pretty good time, but the only part I remember was the end. I was tottering down Main Street, walking along the west sidewalk toward the exit. I was holding my grandfather's hand, looking into the windows filled with brightly lit candy and toys and magical tableaux of every sort imaginable. We kept walking, out of Main Street, out of the park, into the old parking lot, toward the car...and then the fireworks started. I turned around to watch, and the closest approximation of my thoughts I can muster is...What the heck IS this place? It's my first memory of fireworks, too. I was just so...confused and blown away by this place where amazing things happened.

Over the next six years or so, a scattering of childhood visits quickly turned Disneyland from an amazing place into...even more than that. I became very sentimentally attached to the park, to the point where I actually had to call home, crying, the day I got back to school after a three-day visit to the park. I just missed it that much.

As I grew up, my love for the park became a little more subtle and controlled, naturally. Then came the revelation that there were online communities devoted to Disneyland...so I learned a lot that way, leading to a point when I actually got slightly tired of it. That was a very hard part of my life for other reasons, and I actually thought at one point that I might really be done with my Disneyland obsession.

Luckily, I was wrong. These days, I can visit the park a lot more often than when I was a kid, though I'm still not an AP holder and I haven't been for the last five or six months. As a result, each visit is a little bit less special...it's not such an insanely rare and magical privilege. But I'm careful to appreciate each visit, and I have an outrageously good time without fail. I hope Disney makes good decisions in the future, decisions that will preserve the parts of the park that work and replace the parts that don't with superior elements. I want to continue loving the park as long as I can.

Thanks for the answers! It seems like 3-4 is the popular starting age so far. I'd be interested to hear from those that first went a bit later in life.
    A little bit about me...
    First Disneyland Trip: Oct. 1989
    Mandatory first ride: POTC
    Mandatory food: Clam chowder in bread bowl & a churro (not at the same time though)
    Next trip goals:
    1) Ride the Casey Jr. Circus Train. I didn't get around to it on this past trip.
    2) Get over to TSI.
    3) Try a jalapeño/cheese pretzel. Yummy!

my

my first time was when I was two. although i do not remember much, I remember seeing splash mountain and wanting to go on it so so so bad. I begged my dad but he didn't think he was big enough (hate to say it but he was probably right)

• Rock Star Minion

I was 18 or so, having recently moved here. I think Matterhorn was having one of its major rehabs, and BTMRR was not yet built. Space was open. Loads of fun. Went on the dark rides with my girlfriend. Shame many are not still around for teens to fully appreciate.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• TDR and Japan fan

It was in my mummy´s belly yes well the next itme was when i was about a year old and remember hmm just the i was afraid of the haunted mansion but thats all and i loved it one of my firsts words where come out to socialize ( obviously i could barely say it ) but anyways that was my first time and since then i am IN LOVE with anythign related to disney

I was 1 years old and i went on the opening of the new tommorowland 1998 i dont remember it at all. i with with my famouse uncle so my family got to go in front of every line

• Winter in Oceanside...

I was 6 and don't remember much (it was a long time ago ). I remember hearing Mickey on the phone at America the Beautiful, riding the Skyway and the Flying Saucers. For some reason those all stand out in my mind.

• Keepin' it calsteady

My first memory is a vague one of my dad having to buy tickets from the booth next to Alice in Wonderland, but I don't know how old I was.

Then I remember going when they first sold the passports instead of tickets, and thinking we would have to show our passports in order to get on each ride. Not sure what year that was either, but I was born in 1974.

• I eat TR's for breakfast!

My first trip was when I was six. I remember it cause it was the first time I had ever ridden a roller coaster (the one in toontown). Infact, I rode the Matterhorn and Space Mountain as well, but refused to go on big thunder because my brothers said you can get your head cut off on that ride o_o....

• Walt Disney Fan

What I remember was that i was super hot and I got one of those large slurppy lemonade things.

It was like I was in heaven.

Plus we got to ride 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea on the last Day on its last voyage. Pretty awesome!!!

I think I must have been three or four.

I am 14 and whenever it closed was how old I was.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast