• Don't lets be silly! ºoº

Question A very merry unsurprise to you

Come dream with me... Remember back to when you enjoyed an attraction at the Disneyland Resort for the first time. An attraction you had no perceived notions about, not a clue what it was going to be like, no pictures, no rumors. The most you had was the anticipation of the time from when you first heard, until your turn on the attraction.

I often wonder, why do people want to know what their present is before the party. Maybe some can shine some light on this subject?

One of my favorite attractions to take new comers to the Disneyland Resort is the Indiana Jones Adventure. It's one of those which simply blows you away from the moment you enter the line, until you find your way back into the flow of the Adventureland roadways.

Though often on here, quite a few people seem to want to open their present before Disney has even held its party. People trying to get snap shots of the inside of one attraction, or over the wall of another.

I would simply like to know: Why?

Obviously, there's nothing wrong with wanting to know. I for one like to be completely surprised when it comes to something new (one reason I wont be going to see the Blue Sky room).

So do you feel sometimes you're cheating yourself out your surprise gift from Disney?

Thanks for any insight, and may you have many moments of magic before weeks end.

• =)

Re: A very merry unsurprise to you

I know what you mean...I think. Back in my early days, Disneyland was like a vast, uncharted wilderness. I found out about "new" attractions (often decades old) every time I went, and pretty much all I knew about them would be a one-sentence description from my parents. The Internet makes it so easy now to learn so much about an attraction or area before you ever set foot in it...a very cool temptation. I do it from time to time if there's little likelihood of me seeing whatever it is - stuff at the other resorts, mainly. But I haven't experienced TSMM or FNSV yet, for instance, and I've tried to avoid absorbing too much info about either. I know a lot about both of 'em, certainly...but since I've avoided videos and photos as best I can, my feel for what the in-person experience is actually like is limited. And I hope to keep it that way until I finally have an excuse to wait in lines that long.

• Nill

I think I understand your question/observation. IMO, it is human nature to want to know things in advance. Maybe some people are anxious to know what it will be like, so finding little bits, videos, or pictures of a ride/attraction may calm their fears.....or make them worse. It can go either way.

Thankfully, most rides at the DLR cannot be anywhere near understood/experienced without actually going on them. There are exceptions, like the Astro-Orbiter or similar attractions. But something like Indy requires you to ride it to even understand it. When I watch ride videos of Indy, its easy to tell what I am watching. But if someone who has never been on it before watches the same video, it is likely they will have almost no idea what happens because of its dark and rough nature. The darkness in general in any ride limits any photography and videos, so a personal experience is necessary.

I know people who can easily wait for surprises. But others simply "have to know" before the time comes to experience whatever it is.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

I agree DM. I saw a lot of photos of rides before they opened and it took away from the magic. For Nemo & TSMM I made a specific point to avoid photos of the new attraction.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

It used to be that Disney wasn't so secretive.

I remember when they were putting in BTMRR that they had holes in the construction walls that you could look through to see the work that was being done. And Walt Disney himself had a little TV series called "Disneyland" that showcased construction of the park itself.

I don't know why they are more strict about these things these days. They do have the Blue Sky Cellar, but back in the day that would have been a special on The Wonderful World Of Disney, and every kid would stay home just to watch it.

I guess times have changed.

• E T1CK3T

I've fallen under that spell now too. I always want to look for new concept art of coming attractions that its just inevitable. I think that's the way it goes for alot of ppl, as Burt Gummer mentioned. I did go through the entire construction of DCA w/out barely any clue as to what it was going to be. I had only visited the preview center once, and from that, I was still a bit young to fathom what they could do for the new park. All I knew was it was going to have a ferris wheel and a big, scary rollercoaster with a loop in it. When I finally did get to visit the park during a preview day, I was amazed because everything was new to me, and it was fascinating.

Since then though, since I see tons of art and speculation and ideas here on the internet, when a new attraction appears, I feel like I'm semi-familiar with it already. Like, I already know kinda what is going to happen. And, I'll admit, it does take some fun out of it... but I can't tell it. It's human nature!!! (Thanks Burt :oD)

• I'm not really here

I seem to have been blessed with the gift to "turn off what I know" about something and simply enjoy it as if I know nothing. I love picking up every little detail I can about every single aspect of a ride/show/etc as soon as it is available in any way. I want to study it out and figure out how it works, tinker with it and take it apart and try to put it back together (mentally of course, don't think Disney would really let me do that).

But then when I get to the park, I can just ignore that... push it aside and experience something for the first time. I've seen more videos and reviews and photos of TSMM than you could shake several sticks at, but on our trip I was just as wide eyed and giddy as someone who had never heard of it before.

And I can turn it on and off... sometimes I'll ride something looking for the lights, cameras, servos, sensors. Other times, I'm just there to ride it like it's brand new.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Always watching...

I'm one of those people that avoids all pictures, videos, descriptive posts, etc about new rides/attractions. I want to enjoy it for myself without any preconceived biases or thoughts. I don't mind construction pictures, but I don't want to see anything of the finished product.

And, most of the time, pictures and videos don't do the ride/attraction justice. A few months ago, someone posted a video of Toy Story Mania before it opened and everyone was going on about how bad it was without even riding it. It was great to see the reverse opinions once people actually went on it for themselves.

So for me, no spoilers...I love the magic!

I don't think necessarily that seeing pictures ruins the attraction. I don't think that pictures can really do the ride justice. It's a totally different experience when you are actually on the attraction, completely immersed in the environment.

That being said. I do not watch videos of the rides. They just annoy me since the videos are usually shaky and not very well done.
    A little bit about me...
    First Disneyland Trip: Oct. 1989
    Mandatory first ride: POTC
    Mandatory food: Clam chowder in bread bowl & a churro (not at the same time though)
    Next trip goals:
    1) Ride the Casey Jr. Circus Train. I didn't get around to it on this past trip.
    2) Get over to TSI.
    3) Try a jalapeño/cheese pretzel. Yummy!

• Super Genius

Ventura, California; 96 miles (154Km) from Disneyland

^ I agree that's why I built a mounting bracket for mine because I didn't want my videos turning out looking like I have Parkinson's.

I wish the technology for Circlevision 360° were avilable to the public and cheap as well as the screen to watch them. I don't know how you'd fit something like that in your home, though. Then ride videos might look more realistic.
    When I go to Disneyland, I tune my FRS Radio to channel 2, without a quiet code. They're faster than a cell phone and you can talk to a whole group at a time, and you don't have to get everyone's cell phone number in advance.

• You didn't see anything!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    I agree DM. I saw a lot of photos of rides before they opened and it took away from the magic. For Nemo & TSMM I made a specific point to avoid photos of the new attraction.
    This is how I was before HMH was opened this year. I was avoiding going into people's TRs that had "Haunted Mansion Holiday!", especially during the soft openings because I wanted to see the new gingerbread house myself without knowing what it was. But, oops, I couldn't resist . And just what like Villains Fan said about pictures/video, the picture I saw was blurry and I couldn't see full detail of the house itself. So when I rode HMH the Sunday after opening, it was amazing. It wasn't ruined for me.

• Oo-de-lally

If you want to be surprised don't open up the many threads that will no doubt show up on this site before an attraction is reveled.
    Oo-de-lally, Oo-de-lally
    Golly, what a day

• Don't lets be silly! ºoº

Quote Originally Posted by Craigroy8287 View Post
    If you want to be surprised don't open up the many threads that will no doubt show up on this site before an attraction is reveled.
    Funny enough, 99% of the ones which do contain spoilers, don't have alerts...

Such as this one: Pixie Hollow (Oct. 28th)

Someone posted a picture of the area within this topic which was simply asking who was going to be there... So should one think that all topics contain spoiler information and/or pictures? If so, that's a very one sided thought.

I can understand if the topic calls for it, but many of them don't. What comes to mind when I see unasked information/pictures in an innocent enough topic are those who post "first" after an article.

Though back to the question... why do you want to?

• Jeanne, like the lamp!

I actually like the thrill of the ride too, per se'. I like to hype myself up and see how the ride goes once im on it.

and they lived happily ever after

• Vasooki-land Owner

I only did that once, and it was for CA screamin, because I wanted to know what to expect, because I was scared to ride it. Otherwise, I really havent done gthat before. Mostly because I didnt know about on-ride videos, or any other things when I first went on most of the rides.
    We are currently imagineeing a new attraction for you!

Please enjoy all the other attractions in fabulicious Vasooki-land!