Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Lands based on Entire Films = Ugh

There's a lot of talk these days about CARS LAND (and Bug's Land) and why it shouldn't be this or why it shouldn't be that... or maybe the name is lousy. It's been argued that they don't really belong in a park about California.

So far, there have been three lands built or planned, based on an existing film:

-Mermaid Lagoon / Triton's Kingdom (Tokyo Disney Sea) -- an entire land based on the Little Mermaid. Flounder has a kiddie coaster, Ariel has her grotto and playground, and Sebastian had a Calypso Kitchen at one point.

-A Bug's Land (California Adventure) -- land made just for kids which takes up a chunk of Bountiful Farm. A sub section titled Flik's Fun Faire is where all the kiddie stuff can be found.

-Cars Land (California Adventure) -- land basically based off of Radiator Springs and Route 66. Three attractions planned so far.

Out of those three, only one land truly belongs: Mermaid Lagoon. It's part of Tokyo Disney SEA. The land fits. The attractions within leave a lot to be desired but the theming at least is well done.

But what is it about A Bug's Land and Cars Land that split the die hard fans? Is it because it's Pixar? And by Pixar, I mean.... is it because the movies themselves are too modern?

The films that Disney has done with traditional hand drawn animation has always been fairy tale in nature; creating an amazing canvas of a world that many would like to visit. Cars Land is basically Route 66. A Bug's Land is basically an enlarged world, and not even a properly done one at that.

Then I was thinking about what 2D Disney classics would make good lands. There are two that are perfect candidates: NEVERLAND and WONDERLAND. None fit into DCA but would make amazing lands themselves in other "kingdom" parks.

Neverland could contain:
    -Captain Hook's Pirate Ship
    -Skull Rock
    -Peter Pan's Flight
    -many more

Wonderland could contain
    -Alice in Wonderland
    -Mad Tea Party
    -Mad Hatter shop
    -Queen of Hearts Banquet Hall
    -Alice's Curious Labyrnth
    -March Hare Refreshments
    -many more

These attractions I've listed already exist in various parks, but somehow... never have they been built up into its own massive land. The reason being: it's not necessary. It's overkill. It's almost too easy. Right?

But why, I ask, would a propertly like Alice in Wonderland, where countless ideas could be had for a wonderful land not ever happen while A Bug's Land and Cars Land does? Where's the creativeness of WDI?

Why couldn't Cars Land involve all of Disney's car properties? Why couldn't A Bug's Land include the other roster of bugs in Disney films? Is Jiminy Cricket and Cri-Kee not CG or modern enough?

So yah... i dunno why i started this thread. I suppose I got bored and wanted to discuss what's on my mind. How do you really feel about lands based on film properties? Are you opposed to it if it's based on classic Disney? Or do you agree with me that it's never necessary to go all out on one movie for one land?

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• "I Break Things"

Re: Lands based on Entire Films = Ugh

Well.. it's a dead horse... but with a new twist. I would actually argue that Bugsland has an amazingly immersive theme... just not a lot for adults to enjoy. I am highly against tying an entire land to one movie because I feel it is extremely limited. I've used the example of calling Adventureland "Jungle Book Land" only to change that name to "Tarzan Land" because people don't relate to Jungle Book anymore. Think about Tomorrowland. They'd Probably call it "Buck Rogers Land" or some cheesy 50's Sci-Fi movie. Then call it "Star Trek Land" in the 60's" and by the 80's it would be "Star Wars Land" etc. So... that's my take on it.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• E T1CK3T

I have to disagree w/ you about Cars Land... I think it does fit in well with DCA. Route 66 and the car culture is just as much a part of California as the Golden Gate or Los Angeles. I think it will fit in very nicely with the population of Californians, and I think it'll do great in the newly designed park. Now, I do think that your idea of bringing other cars from Disney movies into the land would be a nice idea, but where exactly would they fit? The way that the lands were intended to be designed wouldn't really allow for other cars in Disney history to fit... unless it was a museum that they built... that would be cool!

A Bug's Land and Cars Land are being built w/ a new audience in mind, an audience that never saw the old animation, or did see it but were too young to really grasp it. Walt did the same thing in Disneyland over 50 years ago... Adventureland, for instance, was created based on his "True Life Adventures" nature series, which was relevant to his audience at that time. Fantasyland was created specifically for all the animated movies he had made up until that time, and even included a castle for a princess that didn't even exist in the minds of his patrons yet, but would soon after. In order to create a new clientele for Disneyland and DCA, WDI must think with current generations in mind, but balance older audiences' pleasures as well. I believe they are doing this well, w/ the addition of the 1930s feel of the entrance and Paradise Pier, especially the rides and games planned for the pier. They are based alot on older cartoons (Casey at the Bat, Dumbo, The Band Concert), which appeals to their older audience as well.

• Hopper's Mortal Enemy

Cool Re: Lands based on Entire Films = Ugh

Worry about whether the execution is good or not, and not the source of inspiration.

Just a thought.

A bientot.
    Remember
    What the dormouse said
    Feed your head!

You've read it; you can't unread it!

• Kingdom Comedian

I agree...why call it "Carsland?" Why not do the exact same thing that's in the plans now but call it "Route 66?"

That way when you have your next idea about away to do a Motorcycle ride, or maybe some sort of Native American Reservation theme...you don't have to scrap it because it doesn't fit into Pixarland.

Also, I do agree that Bugsland is themed quite well...I was quite impressed...but I must admit...I don't go there often. (Perhaps because it's a whole area based on one movie)

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by ralfrick View Post
    Worry about whether the execution is good or not, and not the source of inspiration.

Just a thought.

A bientot.

It's a thought that I keep in mind for sure. A Bug's Land I suppose is a crappy land executed well. But what I want here is... a GREAT land executed well. And I suppose I think that an entire land based on one property is limiting your potential.

And yes, techskip, it certainly is a dead horse, but i wanted to beat it some more.

Quote Originally Posted by timbabbcomedian View Post

Also, I do agree that Bugsland is themed quite well...I was quite impressed...but I must admit...I don't go there often. (Perhaps because it's a whole area based on one movie)
    I think mostly because the attractions aren't very good.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Blog Entries

I agree with you about basing an entire land on one particular film. I think its incredibly short sighted. What happens 10-15 years down the road when you either want to add on more attractions or update one of the older rides in the park. You're tied into having to add something related to that movie regardless of whether that's what the people want to see or not.

IOA in Orlando has this problem quite a bit, mainly in their land related to Jurassic Park. Its a beautifully themed land with a fun ride, but that's the problem, it has one real ride. It desperately needs another ride to flesh it out but how many rides about dinosaurs can you make and not feel repetitive. That island is severely limited due to the theme they chose. Now had they chosen a theme of adventure island or exotic island then JP could have fit in perfectly and also left room for other strange and exotic style rides. I think that's where the beauty lied in the Magic Kingdom designs. None of the individual lands were based on one particular film but on genres. Aside from the future theme, they've been able to continually add and update those lands because its such a maleable theme to work with.

• Oo-de-lally

I agree...why call it "Carsland?" Why not do the exact same thing that's in the plans now but call it "Route 66?"

That way when you have your next idea about away to do a Motorcycle ride, or maybe some sort of Native American Reservation theme...you don't have to scrap it because it doesn't fit into Pixarland.
    I agree. Why not just call it Old Route 66?
    Oo-de-lally, Oo-de-lally
    Golly, what a day

Everyone seems mostly concerned about the name of Cars Land. 5-10 years from now if they add non-Cars (The Movie) based attractions, they can... change the name of the land.

I think basing an entire land on a small desert town on Route 66 is a great tight theme! Calling it Route 66 or Radiator Springs might be an improvement, but the theme is the same no matter what the name.

After all, right across the esplanade, they have an entire land based on and named after a city, and that turned out pretty well. Additionally, they have an entire land based on, but not named after, a small town in Missouri, that turned out pretty well too!

I agree that I don't like the name Cars Land. I think it's short sighted and not very creative. Also, nothing else in DCA ends in "land" like it does in DL. I think calling it Radiator Springs or Route 66 would be better.

I also agree that creating an entire land based on one film is limiting and sort of plays favorites with that movie. One ride? Sure. An entire land? Not so much.
    A little bit about me...
    First Disneyland Trip: Oct. 1989
    Mandatory first ride: POTC
    Mandatory food: Clam chowder in bread bowl & a churro (not at the same time though)
    Next trip goals:
    1) Ride the Casey Jr. Circus Train. I didn't get around to it on this past trip.
    2) Get over to TSI.
    3) Try a jalapeño/cheese pretzel. Yummy!

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    Is it because it's Pixar? And by Pixar, I mean.... is it because the movies themselves are too modern?
    To me it's because everything they greenlight for Disneyland and DCA these days reeks of corporate marketing. Pixar makes money; Disney buys Pixar; Disney floods theme parks with Pixar product. A strategy so simple even an Accountaneer can do it.

The toonification of Disneyland and DCA is MIPJr. meets WalMart. "Whatever's hot today in the kiddie market, we hype to the max -- the future be damned."
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Mrs. J. Depp

Wow that is exactly what I just thought before I read your post! I agree with most, Carsland is an awful name. It has zero creativity and adding the word "land" to the end of it doesn't make it work. You wouldn't call the nature part of the park Treesland would you? I like the Route 66 idea much more, it leaves room to expand on other aspects. And its a catchy name.
    I feel basing one land on a single movie is extremely short sighted and lacks imagination. Just because you have several ideas that would work for that specific land doesn't mean you need to carry them all out. I am 100% for a "Wonderland" though!!

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

• Christmastime for Rocker

Blog Entries

I think what you are all saying makes perfect sense. The Carsland is a problem because you are basing it off of one movie. Route 66 would be a better idea. You could have that Cars themed-ride, and then you could have like a 60's themed car-culture stunt show- kind of like a story about drag racing with stunt-men and fires. You could also have shops reminiscent of Route 66. In simplest terms, like someone said, change the name and you could have a lot of great ideas in there!

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    And yes, techskip, it certainly is a dead horse, but i wanted to beat it some more.
    wrong smiley...
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Wow, there really are emoticons for every occasion.
    A little bit about me...
    First Disneyland Trip: Oct. 1989
    Mandatory first ride: POTC
    Mandatory food: Clam chowder in bread bowl & a churro (not at the same time though)
    Next trip goals:
    1) Ride the Casey Jr. Circus Train. I didn't get around to it on this past trip.
    2) Get over to TSI.
    3) Try a jalapeño/cheese pretzel. Yummy!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast