Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Banned User

Re: The real stories behind the Disney movies..

I know this is random but for any Grimms Brothers fans go check out the movie.. it was an awesome twist on some legendary fairy tales! Kinda slow in the beginning, but awesome for the last two-thirds of the movie.

• white and nerdy

not to belabor my earlier point, but take for example The Little Mermaid.

One version of the story has her turning into a statue of sea foam

One version of the story has her dying and becoming a gaurdian angel for her prince and his wife

One version has her die and then going to limbo. The actions of the children who hear the story decide when she gets to go to heaven.

One could place similar lists with cinderella, snow white, Sleeping beauty, aladdin.
    Other movies are more grounded in an original source, like alice in wonderland or peter pan, but most of the fairy tales have a very long and sordid history. very interesting topic that doesnt get alot of attention.
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

• 0 to 200 mph in 1 second!

I've got a copy of the Grimm Brother's tales... wild reading! Years ago my friends and I would sit around the living room with a bottle of wine and spend time reading the stories to each other. It was great fun, but man, what horrible tales! Really the stuff of nightmares for the most part.

Hmm, anyone up for a glass of wine and some fairy tales? Dispite the story content it was really quite fun.

• Yes its that much fun!

Yes most of the original Fairy tales are grim(m) and sad they were meant to keep kids from doing unsafe things (stay in bed or the boogeyman will get you! dont go out into the woods or you'll get eaten by a witch, wolf, bear, etc. and the list goes on). I remember my mom reading from a very old mother goose book when I was young and some of those simple tales were very disturbing (and they wonder why children have nightmares!)
    "I am about to pack up 21 years of Disney memorabilia from around the world that hopefully my great grandchildren will not sell on eBay"
    Micheal Eisner

• Yes its that much fun!

and for those Metallica fans...
    Hush little baby dont say a word
    and nevermind that noise you heard
    its just the beasts under your bed
    in your closet in you head!
    Exit light, enter night
    grain of sand
    Exit light, enter night
    take my hand
    were off to never never land
    "I am about to pack up 21 years of Disney memorabilia from around the world that hopefully my great grandchildren will not sell on eBay"
    Micheal Eisner

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

I read the original Hunchback of Notre Dame and can not believe how different Disneys version was! Disney did not even include the main character in the book (Pierre Gringore) was saved by Esmerelda only to join Claude Frollo by capturing the gypsy girl! Also Pheobus never loved Esmerelda, but he saved her from Quasi. Plus Quasi was a deaf ugly human viewed as a monster (He was a bell ringer because of his deafness).

If I am also correct, I believe Mermaid kills herself after she killed her prince and Cinderellas step sisters chop of pieces of their foot to fit the glass slipper.

The version I heard from a Danish tour guide (while on our way to the Little Mermaid statue in Copenhagen harbor) :

I forget how she gets to the surface, I think she is allowed to have a look on her 15th birthday. She sees the prince, falls in love and saves him from a shipwreck. She sees the sea-witch, who gives her a potion for legs, but takes the mermaid's voice as payment. She goes to the surface, finds the prince, sleeps outside his door and eventually meets up with him. He loves her (she saved his bacon during the shipwreck) but is not allowed to marry her (she's not a princess).

The mermaid's sisters worry where she has gone. They also visit the sea-witch who tells them where she has gone. They give their arms as payment? I forget. They go up, find her, give her a knife, and tell her if she kills the prince she can be a mermaid again.

Of course, she can't do that. She sneaks into his bedroom, leaves the knife and maybe a note to say what happened, and throws herself into the waves and drowns. She is now seen in the seafoam.

Most of the old fairy tales, yes, have sad endings and horrific happenings. They have been "cleaned up" for children. I'm not sure they were meant for children in the old days before the Brothers Grimm.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

Quote Originally Posted by Tedi Bara
    Lewis Carroll wrote Alice in Wonderland and JM BArrie wrote Peter Pan
    Carroll was an opium addict and was flying high when he wrote the stories. Think about that the next time you watch the sanitized Disney version.
    You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.

• Rally Vixen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by EagleWings
    I've read Peter Pan and Alice in Wonderland.. thanks for the tips y'all.
    Yes, but do you know that Charles Dodgson (aka Lewis Carroll) was allegedly molesting Alice, who was the daughter of the Dean of Christ Church, where Dodgson taught math? That guy was a total freak.
    Anything listed on the park maps as an attraction is fair game for inclusion in the Rally.
    I cannot confirm nor deny the inclusion of any attraction in the Rally.

May the Gumballs Be with You...Always.

NO GOATS!

• oh bugger

OHH, this is a topic I can help out with tremendously. I wrote my senior dissertation on Snow White, Cinderella, and Sleeping Beauty. This is also a topic our good friend Kevin Yee is EXTREMELY knowledgeable about.

While the Grimm Bros. have versions of these tales they were not the creators of any of them. While they might have been the first to record some of the classic fairy tales of old, they were adapted at best by these Bros. and changed dramatically in most all cases.

Starting with Snow White. Because I don’t have my paper handy, here is source material via Mr. Yee. (Giving credit to his wonderful exploration into this topic on his past website)

Grimm Version entails:
    · There is no kiss to wake up Snow White. Instead, she is carted off in a glass coffin by an infatuated prince, and the poisoned apple stuck in her throat becomes dislodged when his cart hits a pothole.
    · The wicked stepmother tries three times to kill Snow White, and is not successful until the third attempt. Even then, the girl eventually cheats death.
    · The dwarves are anonymous short people who happen to work as miners, and are given almost no attention in the story.
    · The stepmother does not die while trying to kill the dwarves; she is found out as the guilty party when Snow White marries the prince, and the stepmother is put to death by the prince. Specifically, she is made to dance in red hot shoes until she falls down dead.

Cinderella or Cendrillon meaning “little-cinder” was originally written by Charles Perrault and was based largely on his aristocratic upbringing in the high-class circles of France. The Disney film Cinderella is credited as being based on this story, however it has many similarities to the Grimm version. Differences include the changing of the slipper from glass to gold and to silver, and then back to glass… the length of the ball from 3 to 2 to 1 night. Cinderella rushing away and losing her slipper in the Disney version to the Prince covering the steps in tar as to slow her escape on the third night. The king also is aroused by Cinderella in the Perrault version “The king himself, old as he was, could not help watching her, and telling the queen softly that it was a long time since he had seen so beautiful and lovely a creature.” And so on and so forth.

Sleeping Beauty. This one is almost too twisted and changed too much for me to elaborate on here. The original story is older than both Perrault and the Bros. Grimm. Originated by Italian author Giambattista Basile it was written in 1634. I suggest a reading of the original tale for Sleeping Beauty. A tale of rape and incest and other terrible things, it truly is the most changed story of them all.

If you would like a copy of my paper feel free to PM me, it’s not a novel, but it is about 20 pages.

• Drunk On Disney

I HIGHLY recommend "The Annotated Alice" for anyone who likes Alice in Wonderland. It's the full version of the book with tons of fascinating info. There are so many small gags in the story that I didn't 'get' because the references were so dated. It made me appreciate the story so much more to read it this way.

Check out my podcast: www.drunkondisney.com

• Former Epcot CM

BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• Minion

Traditionally most fairy tales are very dark, and that was mostly to teach childern of the time lessons. You know that whole dark thing from the middle ages.

• oh bugger

Quote Originally Posted by kiwilime49
    Traditionally most fairy tales are very dark, and that was mostly to teach childern of the time lessons. You know that whole dark thing from the middle ages.

The dark ages or middle ages of Europe ended around 1517 after a 900 year period. Most of these stories can be traced back to the 1700-1800 hundreds with the earliest dating to 1634. The Brothers Grimm released their first collection in 1812 with a second in 1814 no where near the middle ages.

The fairy tales were dark to teach not only children but all members of society a lesson. While most of the stories, such as Red Riding Hood are directed at children many of them have broader messages. These stories are representations of emotional angst, fear of abandonment, parental abuse, and/or sexual development.

• 0 to 200 mph in 1 second!

National Geographic did an excellent article on Lewis Carroll several years ago. I highly recommend looking it up. It dispells some of the myths that were repeated on here in earlier posts.

Improper behavior toward Alice? Read the article.

And drug induced tale? Think again. "Alice" is a satire on the English Government. Keep this in mind the next time you watch the Disney version; its pretty hard to miss even there.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast