Current rope-drop procedures at DL & DCA

OK, I've read the threads I could find on rope-drop procedures, but none of them really specify any seasonal variation. What kind of rope drop am I likely to find in early Dec. (or now) at Disneyland Park and DCA?

From what I read Main St. is opened 1/2 hr. early and there is one rope at the end of Main St., after which there is a mad stampede. Is this correct? (The stampede is probably used year-round, I mean is the rest of it correct?) I also read there are separate ropes for the different Lands, but again I don't know which is used when.

I also read that DCA turnstiles open 1/2 hr. early with 3 ropes up and Soarin' open at 9:30? Is this still current?

Here's what I experienced at WDW two years ago (late Sept.): prior to opening, guests were admitted through the turnstiles and held at the entrance area right in front of the Main St. train station. The train would arrive just prior to opening with Mickey, et al. and there would be an opening ceremony, following which we were allowed to pass through Main St. Upon arriving at the entrance to the Land of our choice, we were held for another 5 min. (?) at a second rope, whereupon we were then let through into the Land with everything operating. There was no running, and a fast mall-walker could overtake most people strolling down Main St.

So, is any of the above similar to what DL & DCA use? Thanks!

• Banned User

Re: Current rope-drop procedures at DL & DCA

I am not very sure when they do the Main Street rope drop. They usually start letting people through the turnstiles around 15 minutes before park opening. Then the rope drop happens at opening (of course). Its not really a stampede, most people just walk.

I believe they also have a rope drop everyday, as long as it is not a Magic Morning day.

As for DCA, yes they allow people in at 9:30. You can either wait for a rope drop, or ride Soarin'.

Wink Re: Current rope-drop procedures at DL & DCA

Quote Originally Posted by Sillyup10 View Post
    I am not very sure when they do the Main Street rope drop. They usually start letting people through the turnstiles around 15 minutes before park opening. Then the rope drop happens at opening (of course).
    Cool! A reply already. Thanks!

So where exactly is the rope? At the train station? End of Main St.? Entrances to each Land?

• Minion

it's at the end of main st i think they only do it on day they have early admission. only done it once but it fun they welcome u to the park and have a count down. how i go every weekend it's too early for me.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

To the best of my knowledge, the rope drop at the end of Main Street is done every day ...
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Circle of Ancients

That is correct, the rope is at the end of main street, where Coke Corner and the Photo Shop meet.

If the park opens at 8am there is no rope drop. The gates just open at 8am. If the park opens at 9am or later, they will generally open the gates 30 minutes prior to opening and do the roap drop at the opening time.

For DCA, the front entance and Soarin' open at 9:30am. There are roap drops at the entrance to the Hollywood area, near the Sun Fountain and on the way from Soarin' to Grizzly.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

There's no ceremony or anything at Disneyland. They just wind up the rope and you are on your way.
    A signature should go here.

• "I Break Things"

If you participate in Magic Morning then there are also land specific rope drops located at the entrance to Adventureland, the entrance to Frontierland, and the entrance from Fantasyland to Big Thunder Trail.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• I'm not really here

Depending on the CMs there, they do have some fun with it. My wife and friends were waiting at Adventureland once and the CM was asking who had a watch... when everyone raised their hands he asked who had a Mickey watch and a little girl in the front had one. "Ok, we're going off this watch!" and he had the girl up on her dad's shoulders do a countdown from 10, leading the whole crowd.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• It's all about Theme!

Quote Originally Posted by SusieP. View Post
    There's no ceremony or anything at Disneyland. They just wind up the rope and you are on your way.
    Are you sure?

Traditional rope drops usually start with the announcer welcoming you and then when the song "Welcome" from POD starts, they drop and you get to go into the park with the Welcome track following you.

Also, the park opens the gates at 8AM or 8:15AM on 9AM openings. Then at the 30 they open all the shops and attractions on Main Street. Excluding vehicles. Then the announcement for rope drop.
    Friend walks into line of The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh-
    "Come on, Let's go see Country Bear- .......Oh."
    -August 1st 2010

And this elevator traverls directly to The Twilight Zone The Gift Shop!
    -August 2nd 2010

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

I guess I don't really consider that a "ceremony", unlike having Mickey arrive at the Main Street Station on a train, per the OP's post. It sounded like he was expecting a bit of an official show.

Either way, it's a great time to be in the park!
    A signature should go here.

Smile Re: Current rope-drop procedures at DL & DCA

Quote Originally Posted by SusieP. View Post
    I guess I don't really consider that a "ceremony", unlike having Mickey arrive at the Main Street Station on a train, per the OP's post. It sounded like he was expecting a bit of an official show.
    Well I'm not expecting an official show any more...(insert smiley face)

Thanks everyone, this is some good solid info. I appreciate it. I discovered this site a week or two ago and have learned a few things that weren't in the guidebooks.

• Hopper's Mortal Enemy

Cool Re: Current rope-drop procedures at DL & DCA

They do pick a family to go through the gates and lead a countdown to open the park if it's an 8 opening; I can actually speak from experience on this. Here's the view from inside:

The waits build more slowly without a rope drop. Although it sounds cool to get in 30 minutes early, it allows everyone to move to the attractions en masse, instead of filtering slowly through the gates. When we got to do both on the same trip, the line for PP was about 20 minutes in the time it took to run for an Indy FP before riding. No rope drop, same plan, the line was about 1-2 minutes. There is also the fact that more people will wake up for 9 than for 8.

A bientot.
    Remember
    What the dormouse said
    Feed your head!

You've read it; you can't unread it!

• Goofy

people love getting up early don't they ? lol.