My Most Unusual Trip to Disneyland

I hate to admit it, I've been avoiding the park this year.

Why, you ask? I bought my soCal annual pass on 12/02/07 and had a fantastic day of Christmassy fun. My husband dragged me to the wishing well to sing for him, bought me a peppermint sundae- it was a wonderful Disneyland day. So why have a been avoiding the park?

Because on 12/03/07, my husband walked out and never came back.

He let me know later that the Disneyland trip had been a way to make sure I didn't know the divorce was coming, so I wouldn't have time to react thanks to shock. When I asked why he had made me sing, he said, very coldly, "habit".

It's been a year-long struggle, having my favorite place in the world turned against me in an instant. One of my sisters, who knows of my long-time adoration of the park, said "You get custody of Disneyland in the divorce. He betrayed the spirit of the place and used it to hurt you. Disneyland now belongs to you." I liked the idea, but couldn't imagine it. Disneyland without my husband? We'd spent 3 anniversaries in the hotels, been passholders for two years, had a long-standing partnership on Buzz Lightyear- how could I ever go back without him?

Well, yesterday I did. I took a new grad-school friend (Erica) and met up with my sister and her darling two girls. I rode Space Mountain twice in the morning, took on Buzz a few times, even withstood the line at Midway Mania twice (That ride ROCKS).

Did I cry a little during Soarin'? Yes. Did I tear up during the fireworks, thinking of how much I missed being able to lean against him? Yes. Did I reflect for the first time in a while on what a stupid waste of a good thing he caused? Yes.

But Disneyland is mine again. I've always known that going there is a delight, I just never knew it could also be a triumph.

Think I'll still have to renew that annual pass...

Re: My Most Unusual Trip to Disneyland

[
    He let me know later that the Disneyland trip had been a way to make sure I didn't know the divorce was coming, so I wouldn't have time to react thanks to shock. When I asked why he had made me sing, he said, very coldly, "habit".

Wow what an a-hole!!!
    Good for you that you didn't let him spoil DL for you...Enjoy your happy place
    Disneyland Deluxe Passholder

• Leaping Into The Abyss

Wow, that is heart renching. I'm so sorry anyone would do such a horrible thing. How heartless.
    You definitely deserve good things coming your way. Keep going to the park because you didn't love the park because of him, you loved him because of the park.
    Spyed the Black Pearl from Cabrillo Beach

Blog Entries

Wow, congratulations. What makes visits to Disney so special to me are the memories I have with loved ones. My greatest memories of the parks aren't specific rides or shows, its the relationships those rides and shows helped build. To me, I can't seperate the parks from the relationships in my head. I've thought from time to time about if I would even be able to visit the parks again if my wife ever left me or died and I don't know if I can. Her by my side is too much a fabric of the thing that makes them so special.

So I congratulate you on taking that very hard step. I agree, the parks are yours. Its time to make some new happy memories. Good luck.

• Banned User

Definitely not a man worthy of both you AND Disneyland.

Wow. Good for you! I know it must have been hard but now you can go to the park and make good memories without him. What he did to you and your relationship with Disneyland was horrible and I commend you for having the strength to not let the past keep you from making good memories today and in the future.
    A little bit about me...
    First Disneyland Trip: Oct. 1989
    Mandatory first ride: POTC
    Mandatory food: Clam chowder in bread bowl & a churro (not at the same time though)
    Next trip goals:
    1) Ride the Casey Jr. Circus Train. I didn't get around to it on this past trip.
    2) Get over to TSI.
    3) Try a jalapeño/cheese pretzel. Yummy!

•   
    • Senior Minion

Thank goodness you're out of that relationship! That was so cold. Glad you're able to enjoy the parks again.

my ex husband ruined disney for me once because he proposed to me there on potc. I was too bitter to go back for 5 years until I went with my best friend this summer and then I found my pot of gold on the other side of the rainbow =)

I swear this looks like a copy/paste of what i posted sometime back. i know exactly how it feels. You were married yes, the deal with me was my fiance and i on our 3 year anniversary and we went to disneyland on the same day every year. she turned that place which was so precious to us and broke up the relationship there.

I don't understand people sometimes. especially the ones you think you know so well. how could they be so cold hearted, as to turn a place which means so so so much to you both, to a place where your precious memories will now be hurtful ones.

It is painful to see the perfect angel whom you share your heart and soul with, could be possible of doing such cruel and evil things.

But life goes on, ne wloves come and go, but disneyland will be there forever. hopefully i , and you, get to share many new memories with new loved ones as life goes by.

• Banned User

lets fling your husband down into the briar patch!!

Disneyland is not yours sista, its mine!! well dont worry im willing to share

Quote Originally Posted by faerla View Post
    I hate to admit it, I've been avoiding the park this year.

Why, you ask? I bought my soCal annual pass on 12/02/07 and had a fantastic day of Christmassy fun. My husband dragged me to the wishing well to sing for him, bought me a peppermint sundae- it was a wonderful Disneyland day. So why have a been avoiding the park?

Because on 12/03/07, my husband walked out and never came back.

It's been a year-long struggle, having my favorite place in the world turned against me in an instant. One of my sisters, who knows of my long-time adoration of the park, said "You get custody of Disneyland in the divorce. He betrayed the spirit of the place and used it to hurt you. Disneyland now belongs to you." I liked the idea, but couldn't imagine it. Disneyland without my husband? We'd spent 3 anniversaries in the hotels, been passholders for two years, had a long-standing partnership on Buzz Lightyear- how could I ever go back without him?

Well, yesterday I did. I took a new grad-school friend (Erica) and met up with my sister and her darling two girls. I rode Space Mountain twice in the morning, took on Buzz a few times, even withstood the line at Midway Mania twice (That ride ROCKS).

Did I cry a little during Soarin'? Yes. Did I tear up during the fireworks, thinking of how much I missed being able to lean against him? Yes. Did I reflect for the first time in a while on what a stupid waste of a good thing he caused? Yes.

But Disneyland is mine again. I've always known that going there is a delight, I just never knew it could also be a triumph.

Think I'll still have to renew that annual pass...

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

I'll tell you what we told a dear friend who was having a hard time going back to DL after a rough breakup - Disneyland is YOUR land.

Sounds like you're way better off without this jerk. Enjoy your time back at the Happiest Place on Earth. Now is the time for you to make new, happy memories again.
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

• Brand new CM!

What a butt-head!

I gotta back up sunny girl and say Disneyland is most definitely YOUR land, enjoy it now without that excess baggage trying to keep you down!!!
    I Donald Duck!

I'm very sorry to hear that this jerk turned it so sour for you. Just remember Disneyland is always meant to be a happy place, a place to forget your troubles and escape into a world of fantasy. Who knows, in good time there shall be someone with whom you can enjoy the park with again. Best of luck to you, and take care.

Stop by Flik's Fun Fair sometime and say hey!

-Frank

• A Weather Eye Open

i'm glad you got your DL back!
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

What cold-blooded thing to do to you. That, to me, is a real monster. Go to Google and look up "narcissist" and "sociopath." I think you'll understand what happened and learn how to avoid men like them.

And I totally agree with what your sister said. "You get full custody of Disneyland." She was spot on. Good for her!
    okerry