Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Bring valid photo ID everywhere at DLR!

I just returned from taking my 88 year old mother to DLR and staying at the Grand California Hotel for 3 days. It was her last Disney wish as she is currently in Hospice. At hotel check-in we were told the room key can be used throughout the DLR to purchase merchandise and meals. WRONG!!! You cannot use it at Rainforest Cafe. I had to go all the way back to our room for my Visa card...and then had trouble because they would not accept my annual pass premier photo ID as a photo ID. In Disneyland at the Star Trader the room key (again) was not accepted because the store now requires a photo ID. And, my annual pass premier photo was not accepted, nor was my charge card. They only accept a "valid" photo ID such as a drivers license, passport or military ID. City Hall cast members (and even their manager!) were unaware of this new procedure and had to make several phone calls and it was soon confirmed with the merchandise manager. Of course we tested this new procedure at other various shops or restaurants. They accepted the room key without any problems. We go to DLR quite often, and stay at the resort at times too, and have never had this problem. So, be sure to bring a valid photo ID...a annual pass photo ID is not acceptable at DLR to make purchases. Times have changed indeed.

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

Re: Bring valid photo ID everywhere at DLR!

I wasn't aware that an annual pass could ever serve as photo ID, anywhere, for any reason. I can't see why it would. And I don't know many people who leave the house without photo ID anyway. Sorry your trip was so frustrating.
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

I don't think any of the Downtown Disney restuarants accept charges to the room because non of them are owned by Disney. They are all just tenants.

The only stores in Downtown Disney that might accept a room key would most likely be the World of Disney and the Disney vault store.

I hope that you had no other problems and that you and your mother enjoy the trip. Hopefully you took lots of pictures because it had to have been a memorable time for you and her

• Thank you, that is all.

Well, I am glad to know this in advance. I've always used my AP as a form of ID throughout the park and I would've been very frustrated at yet another new security rule given without warning. Thanks!

• Winter in Oceanside...

Downtown Disney shops/restaurants are not affiliated with Disney. The only stores that will accept the room charge card is World of Disney and the restaurants IN the hotels.

--(former DtD employee. Got this question ALL the time.)

• revolutionary waltz

I wasn't aware that an annual pass was EVER valid photo ID, wow, but I sympathize with your troubles. : (

• 11/7/08 Fantasmic Returns

If you had lost that room key, you would have been thankfull for the ID policy that would have kept someone from charging stuff to your room.

Same reason instead of signing my credit/debit cards, I write "check ID" to force the clerk to do their job.
    ....You think your so powerful? Well this is my dream....

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by Club 33 Mike View Post
    If you had lost that room key, you would have been thankfull for the ID policy that would have kept someone from charging stuff to your room.

Same reason instead of signing my credit/debit cards, I write "check ID" to force the clerk to do their job.
    I had a pretty bad fight with ID Theft some time ago because clerks didn't bother to check ID (not at the resort, just a comment on ID overall). Since then I have made a point of thanking those individuals who do ask for my ID.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by sunnygirl View Post
    I wasn't aware that an annual pass could ever serve as photo ID, anywhere, for any reason. I can't see why it would. And I don't know many people who leave the house without photo ID anyway. Sorry your trip was so frustrating.
    It's not. Even when you use your AP discount for merchandise, and use a credit card, they will ask to see ID (drivers license) to use the card.

It's a smart idea to ALWAYS have ID on you.

I do the same thing Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    I had a pretty bad fight with ID Theft some time ago because clerks didn't bother to check ID (not at the resort, just a comment on ID overall). Since then I have made a point of thanking those individuals who do ask for my ID.
    Even if I'm not asked for ID, I always show it and will get the "oh yeah" look every now and again.

I'm actually surprised restaurants to ask to see ID, I really wish they would.

• Oo-de-lally

Quote Originally Posted by TwilitWings View Post
    I wasn't aware that an annual pass was EVER valid photo ID, wow, but I sympathize with your troubles. : (
    I was thinking the same thing. I think it should be though (at least in the parks anyways)
    Oo-de-lally, Oo-de-lally
    Golly, what a day

• Dream'n w/Blue Sky

It never occurred to me to use my AP as photo ID. Once I'm in the gate I put that AP away in a safe place. Sure would hate to loose it and/or ID theft.

Did you have a fun time? By the tone of your post it sounds like you were pretty upset over this new rule?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I can't imagine going anywhere, inside or outside the Resort, without a valid picture ID.

Times have definitely changed and valid picture IDs are a must!

I'm sorry to hear of your bad experience, but I must agree with the others. I can't imagine ever going anywhere without a valid photo ID. Times have changed, that's for sure, but I'm glad the valid ID is required a lot of places. I enjoy the extra security and it's not any extra hassle for me.

-Frank

• A Weather Eye Open

I've had times when I've pulled out my ID (i always put it down with my credit and debit cards, and I write "check ID!" on the back instead of signing them as well), and a CM has told me they didn't need it because they had already seen my AP. They said it's a photo ID because you HAVE to show your license when you get your AP made. But other times I haven't pulled out my license and they've asked me to. I of course always have it on me, in case I drop dead or something and they need to identify my body.
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

• Banned User

This is exactly what I was just thinking! If someone found my DLH key on the ground and used it to buy a bunch of merchandise, and, nobody checked I.D. I'd be SOOOOOOOOO angry!
    Last edited by I Heart Disneyland; 10-27-2008 at 06:23 PM.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast