View Poll Results: Where To Put The Astro Orbitor?

Voters
122. You may not vote on this poll
  • Back Up On The Tower Above The Former PeopleMover Loading Station

104 85.25%
  • Leave It At Ground Level In Tomorrowland's Entryway

3 2.46%
  • Gut Out Innoventions Bldg. And Place It Inside w/ Special Effects

9 7.38%
  • On Top Of Space Mountain

4 3.28%
  • On Top Of Matterhorn Mountain

3 2.46%
  • On Top Of Old Smokey

6 4.92%
  • On Top Of TDI Building

4 3.28%
  • On Top Of A Monorail So That It Travels Along With It

5 4.10%
  • Under Water Inside The Sub Lagoon

8 6.56%
  • Other

6 4.92%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Again! Again! Again!

Re: Where To Put The Astro Orbitor?

Quote Originally Posted by Druggas
    Why was it ever moved in the first place?
    I ask this question whenever I walk into Tomorrowland! IT's so stupid down below. Hellooooo? They are rockets!! Do they belong at people's feet or in the air. Put them back up!!
    Founding member of the B.A. I LOVE US!!
    FratSor Sister-Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ
    I bring the magic!!!
    "If all my friends were to jump off a bridge, I wouldn't jump with them, I'd be at the bottom to catch them"
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend DMother
    Girl bonding is just so necessary. It's just as important as "me" time. A good girl bonding session leaves you feeling so refreshed. I think of it as a NEED vs a want. There are just things that you need to talk to other women with. You may have the best relationship in the world with your husband, but there are just times you need your girlfriends. It makes for a healthier and happier you which makes everything else you do better.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Druggas
    Why was it ever moved in the first place?
    My guess is two basic reasons:

ONE: They didn't have much to offer in this version of Tomorrowland .. so why not advertise the land's entrance with the flashiest looking "ad" they could.

TWO: I'm sure this carbon copy of the Paris' park ORBITRON was too heavy for the 1967 Peoplemover station. Budgets cut left and right .. I'm sure there was no money for a reinforced Rocket Rods/Astro Orbitor double-decker platform.

The current position is such a compromise from what this ride primary theme is.

This is a ROCKET ship attraction .. the sensation is suppose to be flight ... as if you're taking off high into the sky .. and out of the atmosphere. When it glided some 60+ feet above ground it truly felt like a true "FLIGHT" type of attraction.

Another bone to pick with the decision makers who put it where it currently is ... offers views into Main Street - the hub!! THE HUB?!?!?! Not to mention views of the Victorian "turn of the 19th Century" Plaza Inn. It really messes up the theming point of this ride. In the center of the land .. with a 360 degree view of Tomorrowland .. was perfect.

I say ... offer the public something better .. than something mediocre .. As much of TL:98 is. And as we are happily seeing much of erradicated ... Astro Orbitor/Peoplemover issues should be coming up next.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Escape and Grumpy4, I can't wait for DL management to address the Astro Orbitor and People Mover related issues...hopefully in the near future. One out of eighty-seven responders has shown that he wishes for the AO to remain at ground level and in the entrywaY. This likely reflects the general concensus.

Seems like most are saying, the party's over - PUT 'THEM BACK!!!
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 09-09-2005 at 07:32 PM.

Although it creates a great icon for the entrance to Tomorrowland, having it up on the Observation Deck is more exciting and more marketable.

put it back where it was, leave it where it is, or my favorite - put it in the trash and get something better.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by chadb14
    put it back where it was, leave it where it is, or my favorite - put it in the trash and get something better.
    I'll bet they could redesign the ride yo be much better. For one thing, it would be way cool to see the rockets blast eachother with lazers at night.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 09-10-2005 at 09:42 PM.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Escapé
    My guess is two basic reasons:

ONE: They didn't have much to offer in this version of Tomorrowland .. so why not advertise the land's entrance with the flashiest looking "ad" they could.

TWO: I'm sure this carbon copy of the Paris' park ORBITRON was too heavy for the 1967 Peoplemover station. Budgets cut left and right .. I'm sure there was no money for a reinforced Rocket Rods/Astro Orbitor double-decker platform.
    Actually, I heard from somewhere that the supervisor of the project was afraid of heights and didn't want to have to check on the Orbitor's progress and thus the Observatron was put up there. That's just weak...
    If they do move Astro Orbitor up there, I say change it to something like WDW's or Hong Kong's. Both are very futuristic looking.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

• Iron-Clad Allie

It would be so awesome ro have a new rocket spinner flying above the PM track, along with new replacement ride for rhe People Mover / Rocket Rods.

• Banned User

...how about in the trash? That's where I would put it. I would put the "Astro Jets" on top of the PeopleMover platform. But the last I heard was that they were too cheap to tear down the PeopleMover track down the center of Tomorrowland and place it in the center of Tomorrowland, so they shoved it in the very front of Tomorrowland. I dont know if that is true. As for now, I'm happy with the Observatron on the top of the platform because it works, but I don't want to stay there forever either. Whenever plans are finalized for a BRAND NEW Tomorrowland (hopefully in the near furture), then they I say tear both hunks of junk out of the place and install a new PeopleMover and jets.
    Last edited by DisneyMickey; 09-10-2005 at 08:39 PM.

• Banned User

Delaware...hopefully not for that much longer.

Maybe they could try something new-ish. Like, an update on the regular Jets system. I don't know how. Maybe they could just make it more high tech or something, somehow.

• Counselor

Move the thing to NASA and let the astronauts use it for practice prior to getting on the space shuttles.

• Minion

I've extremely fond memories of Tomorrowland when the rockets floated above the Peoplemover loading platform.

Waiting to ride the Gantry Elevator up to the rockets was a thrill all by itself. Viewing outside the park was limited if possible at all, it's a non issue.

Floating up there was great. I can remember riding it around dusk one evening and how amazing it was to do that. The lights on the path and everywhere in Tomorrowland really making the place sing with illumination. The sounds of the hydraulics sang along with rest of the motion of the land. It was alive, constantly... so amazing.

Now, with the Astro Jets turned into a pathetic grounded version. The land is at a loss. There is no anticipatory wait for the ride in the Gantry, there is no dizzying height(especially for a 8 year old). There is no thrill to the ride or overview of this beautiful land.

It's grounded, and that's not very fun or futuristic. The modern 'Astro Orbitor' is junk, not thrilling and will never be ridden by me. Why bother? Dumbo is better as it is than the current Astro Orbitor, where the AstroJets were better than Dumbo and a greater thrill.

There is a certain aesthetic that the AstroJets complimented and allowed youngsters to look ahead. The AstroOrbitor's aesthetic is to showcas a pile of copper and brass that no longer makes any sense to anyone with a basic understanding of the heavens.

Bring back the Peoplemover, place the Jets back in the sky, restore the moving walk ways everywhere... those were so much fun as a kid.

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by mattjbhs
    I like the clock/satellite dish tower the way it is right now.
    Really? I'll never forget the first time I saw that thing in action. This was back in the day when I fully expected every new thing in a Disney park to be incredible. So there it goes, starting round and round, and the music is cool . . . and it's still going round and round . . . and the music builds to a climax . . . and then the umbrella thing opens . . . and then the arms come back down and the spinning slowly stops. I remember standing there and going "HUHHHH???? That's IT?"

We'll never know what this thing could have been if budgets hadn't been slashed. But as is, it completely stinks. And the rockets in the entryway to Tomorrowland are just so badly placed. Physically they block the entryway to TL, and visually they both impede the view of TL and infringe on the vibe of Main Street. And to top it all off, they take a moderately thrilling high in the sky ride and turn it into a totally standard carnival spinner.

Put 'em back up where they belong!!!

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung
    Really? I'll never forget the first time I saw that thing in action. This was back in the day when I fully expected every new thing in a Disney park to be incredible. So there it goes, starting round and round, and the music is cool . . . and it's still going round and round . . . and the music builds to a climax . . . and then the umbrella thing opens . . . and then the arms come back down and the spinning slowly stops. I remember standing there and going "HUHHHH???? That's IT?"

We'll never know what this thing could have been if budgets hadn't been slashed. But as is, it completely stinks. And the rockets in the entryway to Tomorrowland are just so badly placed. Physically they block the entryway to TL, and visually they both impede the view of TL and infringe on the vibe of Main Street. And to top it all off, they take a moderately thrilling high in the sky ride and turn it into a totally standard carnival spinner.

Put 'em back up where they belong!!!
    I wholeheartedly agree with you, danyoung. Eisner and Pressler can just spin on it.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by skyhar8000
    Move the thing to NASA and let the astronauts use it for practice prior to getting on the space shuttles.
    The astronauts would love that. Perhaps, NASA could send the Astro Orbitor into orbit above the Earth.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast