Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Like a grand & miraculous

7 turns from Disneyland!:) but about 1,150 miles on I-5. haha AKA: Puyallup, WA

Why "Cars Land"???

Personally, I think that the name "Cars Land" sound kinda.........dumb.
    Why not just call it "Radiator Springs" I mean that's what they're gonna theme it after anyways?

Is there a reason?
    What do you think?

• The one, the only...

Re: Why "Cars Land"???

You are not the only one to notice the clumsiness of the name. While this has been discussed before, I really believe that this land's name is dictated by marketing and the highest executives in Disney. I believe they thing that more Cars merchandise will be sold by the new land and attractions if it is plainly clear that there is a connection.

"Radiator Springs" sounds so much more attractive, while the movie Cars clearly locates this place in Arizona, the land is going to recreate all the places in Radiator Springs anyway, so why not just name it that?
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• "I Break Things"

There is a thread floating around on here that discusses this more in depth.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Yeah, I've mentioned the same thing. Radiator Springs just sounds better.
    "Carsland" sounds like they are trying too hard to force it into a DL mold. Not every part of a Disney Park has to end in "land". After all, it would be as idiotic to call that place in DL "New Orleans Square-land".

Flik's suffers from bad naming, also. "A Bug's Land" sounds like they ran out of ways to name things. And most of the area is known as Flik's Fun Fair. PLEASE Disney, just ONE name - just go with Flik's Fun Fair for the whole area.
    Last edited by Aladdin; 10-28-2008 at 03:50 PM.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

This story:

'Cars' drives Disney's California Adventure makeover - 10/18/07

http://micechat.com/forums/disney-bu...-makeover.html

pretty much gives it away in the first sentence. 'Cars' came from John Lasseter's life, his personal experiences detailed in innumerable print and video interviews.This is John Lasseter's baby all the way.

'Cars' is the product. Not Radiator Springs, just apparently another character in the 'Cars' film if you will (and probably it's sequel in 2011), not unlike the Los Angeles International Speedway or Sally.
    Is Radiator Springs a better or cuter name for this coming attractions' area, arguably yes. Is it the Disney/Pixar product message - no.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• =)

Quote Originally Posted by ALIASd View Post
    'Cars' is the product. Not Radiator Springs, just apparently another character in the 'Cars' film if you will (and probably it's sequel in 2011), not unlike the Los Angeles International Speedway or Sally.
    Is Radiator Springs a better or cuter name for this coming attractions' area, arguably yes. Is it the Disney/Pixar product message - no.
    That reasoning is so...strange...that I'm really not even sure how to refute it beyond simply saying that it's wrong. The place they're creating is called Radiator Springs. Therefore it makes sense to call it Radiator Springs.

If they were to do a land based on the world of Monsters Inc., you'd call it Monstropolis. Or, if it were just the company Monsters Inc. instead of the whole city, you'd simply call it Monsters Inc. Not MonstersInc.Land.

EDIT: Okay, my thoughts on why that argument is so messed up have crystallized a little. Here's the thing...Radiator Springs may just be a "character" in the film(s), but that has no bearing when you're actually reproducing the place and trying to come up with a name for it. If Cars Land were going to comprise bits of Radiator Springs, the Piston Cup, the freeway, and so forth, yeah, they could get away with the name Cars Land, as clunky as it is. But they're not. They're creating this "character." So they should be calling it by its name.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    That reasoning is so...strange...that I'm really not even sure how to refute it beyond simply saying that it's wrong.
    It comes from years of experience working with Disney (the DLR, Walt Disney Pictures, ABC, etc.) and understanding the way (and why) of the way that they work.

But I'm sure your real experience for your opinions is just as solid.

Good luck in advance for Glendale.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• =)

Quote Originally Posted by ALIASd View Post
    It comes from years of experience working with Disney (the DLR, Walt Disney Pictures, ABC, etc.) and understanding the way (and why) of the way that they work.

But I'm sure your real experience for your opinions is just as solid.

Good luck in advance for Glendale.
    Sigh...the recent nastiness around here is unfortunate. Maybe it's a sign that I need to get a life and stop hanging around so much. In any case, I apologize if I sounded like I was saying you were wrong about the way Disney's thinking. I'm sure that what you said is one of their main reasons for doing this. I was merely commenting on the validity of that way of thinking, not your own grasp of the situation.

By the way...for clarification, is your well-wishing genuine (albeit out of the blue), or was it intended as a snide and passive-aggressive way of implying that I'm inexperienced at best, and unfit for a role at WDI at any point in the future at worst? I wouldn't want to overreact based on a misinterpretation.

• Fullerton Escapee

Well Cars Land is a better option than John Lasseter's Midlife Crisis: The Experience.

Sorry, the movie hurt. It hurt a lot.

Route 66 may end in CA, but isn't Hwy 1 far more intersting as far as a California experience goes?

Bah!

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by f/m View Post
    Well Cars Land is a better option than John Lasseter's Midlife Crisis: The Experience.

Sorry, the movie hurt. It hurt a lot.
    Bingo.

No slam on JL, but c'mon, Disney -- an entire land based on that movie? Yagottabekiddin'.

Why not just call it "John's Gimme," subtitled "TDA Gives JL Enough Rope To Hang Himself Land," and be honest?
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

In response to a highway 1 themed area- wouldn't it be a little hard to do it justice? The reason highway 1 is so scenic because the mountains are literally rising straight out of the sea. It would be very hard to pull it off on a smaller scale.

On the name- I think that Radiator Springs or Route 66 would be a much better name for the place. I mean, the name makes it sound as though this is a land where there are cars. Big whoop. Fantasyland is land of fantasy, Adventureland is a land of adventure, and Carsland is a land of cars. It just doesn't work, and isn't what the land is about. The land is about visiting a small highway town on route 66 on way to California or suchlike, and so the name should reflect that.

• Senior Minion

How about Cars Corner, they get to use the movie in the name and at least the alliteration would make it sound a little better. Honestly it's not hard to come with better names than CL, but it's pretty obvious marketing wants the name Cars in the title which makes it harder.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• =)

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    How about Cars Corner, they get to use the movie in the name and at least the alliteration would make it sound a little better. Honestly it's not hard to come with better names than CL, but it's pretty obvious marketing wants the name Cars in the title which makes it harder.
    I personally would prefer Cars Land. "Cars Corner" sounds a little too...childish to my ears.

• Walt Disney Fan

I think for the first couple years before it opens it will be called Cars Land for marketing that way people know oh the movie cars

Some people might not get the whole Radiator Springs.

I do believe that it will open with the name Radiator Springs or something else besides CARS LAND
    "To All Who Come To This Happy Place Welcome" - Walt Disney

• =)

Quote Originally Posted by jackskeleton1015 View Post
    Some people might not get the whole Radiator Springs.
    Only the people who didn't see the movie or didn't care for it enough to remember it - and those just happen to be the same people who wouldn't be drawn to a Cars-based land anyway. Besides, realistically, guests aren't going to be running into the land's name with nothing else to describe it. If it's a park map, they'll see the characters and settings from Cars. If it's the web site, they'll see a description that explains what the land is. If they hear about it from a friend, they'll also be told that it's based on Cars.

In what common context could a person who wanted to go to DCA hear about the name of this new land without any written, spoken, or illustrated explanation of what it is? The only thing I can think of is a he-said-she-said-they-said sort of word-of-mouth context, where the information gets lost as it's passed from person to person. But even the name - either one - could be lost that way. Most people will hear about this land through other people who are interested and semi-knowledgeable, through Disney's advertising, or by actually being there. And all of those circumstances provide a lot more than just the land's name.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast