Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Exec Asst to Captain E.O.

Buzz's Future for Tomorrowland?

Hey All ...

So I was thinking today about the similarities between the Astro Blasters and Midway Mania, and while I know the comparision of having TWO Toy Story-themed arcade-style rides at the Resort has already been discussed at length, my personal wonder is rather or not we really see Buzz as a long-term addition to Tomorrowland come 2010/2011.

I don't know about everyone else, but Buzz has always had the feel of a "placeholder" to me. Maybe it's because it's such a departure from what I know of that building previously. I'm all for a dark ride in that location, but Buzz has always seemed pretty shoehorned in there, especially when there could have been NUMEROUS other good spots in Tomorrowland to put that ride (Starcade, the SM Plaza on the second level, even in the old Space Place queue).

Thoughts?

• =)

Re: Buzz's Future for Tomorrowland?

I sure hope it won't be here for the long run. If the upcoming rumored TL overhaul is as good and cohesive as it needs to be, BLAB will stick like an even sorer thumb.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

I like to think that Buzz is actually one of the BETTER attractions in tomorrowland. Not including the Subs or Space Mountain, I think it's better than HISTA, Innoventions & Astro Orbiter. Once Star Tours get the refurb it will be a big draw again. I'd focus on those things that actually are worthless, especially HISTA.

At the moment, I would agree that BLAB IS one of the better attractions in the land ... but that isn't saying much, unfortunately. It's a great place holder and crowd absorber for the time being, but bleh.

And I know many are interested in seeing the removal of the Astro Orbitor ... but I'm not totally sure as to why. I agree, it was MUCH more thrilling when it was found atop the PeopleMover platform, but I do think it is one of the few retrofuturistic stylistic elements that actually WORKED. Even when it was high above Tland, it was a moderate thrill ride at best. So do you think we could keep the Orbitor in its place, and compromise the thrill for the visual intensity that is added?

Or, say, that it was to be removed and an incarnation placed back on top of the platform - what should be done with the entrance area? Should it be paved over like the Astro Orbitor never happened? Or maybe a fountain? A fountain featuring The Incredibles? (kidding).

• Banned User

Buzz is in the top three Tomorrowland attractions in my book. It, Space Mountain, and Star Tours.

That being said, it's a favorite of mine and, not to mention being a people-eater, never seems to cease being fun. I do agree that we don't need two Toy Story arcade-style attractions, but they are both solid rides and, necessary or not, fit well in their areas. Besides, I'm betting Buzz draws more people than a Circle-Vision movie ever would.

Quote Originally Posted by WJNM View Post
    ...maybe a fountain?
    I'd love to see a smaller fountain, maybe enough to cover about half of the footprint, take over the space. It would add some ambiance and solve some crowd control problems as well. Then we could send a newer version up to the top of the PM loading station and please everyone.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

I'm not into removing rides for the sake of removing them. Granted the Astro Orbitor is a log-jamming, eye-sore but at least there are a couple of hundred suckers waiting for it that would be clogging up other attractions.

• Animation Domination

Tomorrowland has rides and attractions that are worst then BLAB.
    Autopia, Innoventions, Starcade, HISTA, Star Tours and Astro Orbiter are far worst then BLAB.
    Stop picking on Buzz.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

BLAB is my least favorite ride in the entire resort. If they got rid of it, I wouldn't miss it.

• =)

Quote Originally Posted by stitchon View Post
    I do agree that we don't need two Toy Story arcade-style attractions, but they are both solid rides and, necessary or not, fit well in their areas.
    How do you figure that? BLAB is about the adventures of toys that represent cartoonish science fiction characters. Tomorrowland is about - or is supposed to be about - a vision of the future that has many fantastic elements but ultimately attempts to be quasi-realistic. BLAB is a complete departure, no matter whether we're talking about visual style or thematic content. TSMM...well, that's another topic, but it's iffy.

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMousePal View Post
    Autopia, Innoventions, Starcade, HISTA, Star Tours and Astro Orbiter are far worst then BLAB.
    Stop picking on Buzz.
    Let's talk about this in terms of what we like or what succeeds in certain categories, instead of what's "better" or "worse." Those are too nonspecific and subjective. HISTA, Star Tours, and the Astro Orbitor make far more thematic sense in Tomorrowland, though they have issues with quality, datedness, and visual style and attraction placement, respectively. If Innoventions truly did present the technology of the future in entertaining ways, it'd be perfect for Tomorrowland - the issues there are in execution.

BLAB manages to be fairly entertaining for me, but it suffers enormously from its gross thematic misplacement, its cheap appearance, the inaccuracy of the guns, and the simple fact that it occupies a prime bit of Tomorrowland real estate that could have been used for so much more. And for that reason, I cannot wait for it to vacate the premises.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by WJNM View Post
    At the moment, I would agree that BLAB IS one of the better attractions in the land ... but that isn't saying much, unfortunately. It's a great place holder and crowd absorber for the time being, but bleh.

And I know many are interested in seeing the removal of the Astro Orbitor ... but I'm not totally sure as to why. I agree, it was MUCH more thrilling when it was found atop the PeopleMover platform, but I do think it is one of the few retrofuturistic stylistic elements that actually WORKED. Even when it was high above Tland, it was a moderate thrill ride at best. So do you think we could keep the Orbitor in its place, and compromise the thrill for the visual intensity that is added?

Or, say, that it was to be removed and an incarnation placed back on top of the platform - what should be done with the entrance area? Should it be paved over like the Astro Orbitor never happened? Or maybe a fountain? A fountain featuring The Incredibles? (kidding).
    To me this is one of the worst decisions in DL history. Retrofuturistic has no place in the hub, it's out of proportion, it ruins the funtional entry to TL, and it's a worse ride. Though the old rockets were not an extreme thrill, at least they were worthwhile, I won't even bother riding the AO. I can't think of one good thing about the AO.

In regard to what to put there now, maybe a small fountain, put back some planters and give us back the feeling of the openness and possibilties of the future that the old entrance clearly represented.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Senior Minion

In regard to Buzz, I won't miss it, but I think a lot of people like it depite it's theme issues, and I doubt it will go anytime soon. As others have said it's a low priority compared to several other TL attractions and unless the new TL budget is huge, I don't think it will be removed.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

I think everyone's tired of hearing how I'd fix Buzz Lightyear so I'll stow it. But it would be more story driven, less cheap, and more satisfying.... and more real. (NO TOYS!)

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMousePal View Post
    Stop picking on Buzz.
    Fail high school debate class much? I wasn't "picking on Buzz," if you care to read my posts without making such crass comments. Perhaps, if you disagree with me, you can do so using intelligent, cohesive dialouge. Now, if I had said "Buzz blows and sucks," then yes, your response would have been appropriate. However, I was merely starting a discussion regarding thematic incoherance, longevity in the long-range plan, and near duplicate attractions. If you need a link to Websters to assist in definning these terms, I will be glad to provide one.

And yes, I do agree with you that there are some attractions far worse (not "worst") than Buzz. Autopia I wouldn't put into that catagory as it has vastly improved and is more or less a Disneyland classic. But the remainders, I agree.

And for the record, I agree that BLAB is much more of a draw than a Circle-Vision film, and I am not advocating a return of Circle Vision. I am arguing for consistancy, originality, and progressiveness.

In short dude, read the posts and don't be such a child.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Hahah ok let's not get jumpy. WJNM, I don't think mickeymousepal was trying to be rude or debating... just to the point. Please continue.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    To me this is one of the worst decisions in DL history. Retrofuturistic has no place in the hub, it's out of proportion, it ruins the funtional entry to TL, and it's a worse ride. Though the old rockets were not an extreme thrill, at least they were worthwhile, I won't even bother riding the AO. I can't think of one good thing about the AO.

In regard to what to put there now, maybe a small fountain, put back some planters and give us back the feeling of the openness and possibilties of the future that the old entrance clearly represented.
    Well spoken with good points ... upon further examination I agree with you about the idea of "retrofuturistic having no place in the hub." I for one was DEEPLY concerned when I pictured the massive AO in between the PM tracks and Central Plaza. The trees have provided a somewhat decent offense to hiding it ... but that creates a secondary problem of closing off almost all of Tomorrowland from view, not to mention that the trees kill the forced perspective of it (alas, if the trees weren't there, then the AO would kill the forced perspective of Sleeping Beauty Castle).

So, in conclusion, meow.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast