Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Big Thunder less smooth?

When I rode Big Thunder last month, the ride was as fun as always, but it seemed less smooth. Am I just imagining that or has anyone else noticed? Is the track perhaps ready for a "rebuild" a la Space Mountain?

Re: Big Thunder less smooth?

We just got home last night from a 5 day visit to DL. I did notice that BTMRR was bumpier than I remembered.

Jenn

]

• Goofy

I hope it stays that way too because it is so much fun.

• Oo-de-lally

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Dopey24 View Post
    I hope it stays that way too because it is so much fun.
    I agree. I love it like that. Plus the seats are so nice because they are padded so it does not hurt your back when you get tossed around a little
    Oo-de-lally, Oo-de-lally
    Golly, what a day

• =)

Interesting. I haven't been since May, and it didn't seem particularly bumpy then, but I imagine it could have changed since. I think I'll be getting a chance to visit the park again in late November, so I'll of course be most curious to give it a try for myself. Anyone else have any thoughts on the matter?

• Senior Minion

I really hadn't noticed either and I rode it in mid September.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

Feels the same to me. Rode it last sunday.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

It's bumpy, but it's not the "throw you all over the place" bumpy like Matterhorn is.

Right now I'm having lower back problems and the two rides I can't do are Matterhorn and Splash because these rides tend to slam you down and toss you all over the place and those jolts really reak havoc on my lower back.

Indy is ok because those seats offer adequate lumbar support, plus the grip bars are positioned to where I can control my upper body from twisting my lower back. Also Space is ok because the seats offer good lumbar support, and you're crammed in there so tight that your upper body doesn't have much room to wiggle around.

BTMRR, while bumpy, does not toss you around. It feels more like going over speed bumps than anything else. It can throw you around a bit, but you can make up for this by sliding in your seat and that takes up a lot of energy that would have been located in one's back.

• Cove Bar Official Dj

seemed the same, being normal since 2003....
    -Ricky
    DLand Connoisseur
    http://www.djrickyjay.com

Los Angeles, California, United States, United States

You can occasionally get a ride on Big Thunder when the wheels urethane is in need of repair - when the road wheels aren't making consistent contact with the track, all that extra vibration makes it's way up through the cars. Think of it as the shopping cart effect (since that is a fairly close approximation of a coaster wheel).

If you ride on a different train, or even a different seat on the same train, you might not even notice it. You can hear when there's wheels that need some work, there's a fairly distinctive sound (kind of a thumping, that speeds/slows depending on how fast the train is moving) - it's NOT a safety issue, more of an annoyance from the guests viewpoint. In case you're wondering, those wheels aren't cheap - a brand new one is about $1000, a "rebuilt" wheel is about $400. That's just for road wheels (the ones that ride ATOP the coaster track). Next time you're at the park, take a look at how many wheels are one train

I'll slink back to my geek closet now...
    See more of my horrible photos (and a few good ones) at my Flickr photostream

• I'm not really here

Great post CoasterMatt. I was actually going to say something about all the wheels on a train, but you did it MUCH better than I would have.

It's fun watching the trains pass overhead and seeing just how many wheels a coaster has.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by CoasterMatt View Post
    You can occasionally get a ride on Big Thunder when the wheels urethane is in need of repair - when the road wheels aren't making consistent contact with the track, all that extra vibration makes it's way up through the cars. Think of it as the shopping cart effect (since that is a fairly close approximation of a coaster wheel).

If you ride on a different train, or even a different seat on the same train, you might not even notice it. You can hear when there's wheels that need some work, there's a fairly distinctive sound (kind of a thumping, that speeds/slows depending on how fast the train is moving) - it's NOT a safety issue, more of an annoyance from the guests viewpoint. In case you're wondering, those wheels aren't cheap - a brand new one is about $1000, a "rebuilt" wheel is about $400. That's just for road wheels (the ones that ride ATOP the coaster track). Next time you're at the park, take a look at how many wheels are one train

I'll slink back to my geek closet now...
    beat me to it... as to the wheels, they changed manufacturers a while back and ever since they've had wheels go bad a lot faster... someone made the comment that the price dropped and so did the quality. I miss hearing the thumps and calling Tower! Easiest place to hear it is when the train is coming into the station, but it's hard to tell which side until it actually enters the station. If you come in and see a CM standing on each side of the station leaning in... that's what they are listening for.

Oh and FYI it thumps first... but if it reaches an air pocket it starts having a high pitch squeak which likewise means a bad wheel (this usually happens if they didn't catch the thump).
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Los Angeles, California, United States, United States

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    as to the wheels, they changed manufacturers a while back and ever since they've had wheels go bad a lot faster...
    I had wondered if that had happened, I don't recall having so many bad wheels on the trains at the same time.
    See more of my horrible photos (and a few good ones) at my Flickr photostream

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Just an aside from a Techy - the molded on urethane "tire" on the top of the wheel going bad might not be a safety concern, but the thrown tire could go someplace bad - like get wedged in a trim brake or...

And the wheel running the track "on the rim" isn't going to do good things for the track or itself.

If they are having more tire problems, they better do some checking, perhaps they aren't saving money by buying the cheaper tires - but don't tell the Accountaneers that! "Cheaper Uber Alles!" is their theme song.

(Last time doing it the right way cost me $600 {Ouch!} to put four big Michelin's on C-3500 - Could have been out of there for half that, but these will last and the cheapies won't.)

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bergman View Post
    Could have been out of there for half that, but these will last and the cheapies won't.)
    That's usually the way of things. You can buy jeans for $20 but they won't last near as long as the $50 pair.

So many companies try to sucker you in with a cheaper product knowing full well that you'll be back much sooner for replacements. Much better to shell out for the more expensive model that is going to last much longer than having to replace the cheaper ones so often.

It's kind of sad that the Accountaneers are being suckered into this though.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast