Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What's inside the HM facade?

So you enter the foyer and stretching rooms, which are are in the facade, but descend to the underground pathway and into the outside show building. What's inside the other parts of the facade? I've never seen this addressed in the trivia books. Is it just an empty facade or are there storage rooms, control rooms, etc.?

Re: What's inside the HM facade?

I can't say for sure, but more than likely the facade is only big enough to house the two stretching rooms. As for the windows above, the Mansion is designed using forced perspective, meaning the outside windows for the second and top floors are actually much smaller than the more normal sized windows on the bottom floor. The same effect is used on Sleeping Beauty Castle, and it's done to give the illusion that the structure itself is much bigger than it really is. So to answer your question, the second and top floors more than likely aren't big enough to house an actual room. And if there's something up there, it's probably a maintenence area for the two stretching rooms. Hope that helps.

• =)

There's a cast member break room, sort of behind and between the stretching rooms. There are also small access areas for the windows and so forth, a room above the foyer, and a tiny little room to the right of the foyer, if you're looking in from the front. Additionally, there's a shedlike protrusion in back that contains the start of a stairwell that goes down a ways, turns left, and goes down into the control tower, which is basically beneath the berm. And if we're counting the areas below ground level, I believe the elevator equipment room is beneath the foyer.

So basically, the aboveground facade doesn't really contain too much besides the onstage areas. The other parts don't take up much room.

As for the windows above, the Mansion is designed using forced perspective, meaning the outside windows for the second and top floors are actually much smaller than the more normal sized windows on the bottom floor.
    There is definitely forced perspective in the HM facade, but it's not all that extreme. The windows change size a bit between floors. Nothing too drastic. And definitely not enough to preclude the existence of the room above the foyer, for instance, or the twin garrets above the stretching rooms, which go up into the upper floors.

• Following the Second Star

I think there should be an ask Data thread, where people can go and ask him questions like this.

Cammie Dog: 3/27/05-6/28/09 God took you way too soon Protect your dog from heat stroke. It attacks and kills quickly.

• or CBF

This looks like a job for Mr. Disneyland in 3D, Datameister. He'll give you what's really there.

EDIT: And look who posts a minute before I do!
    MHTSEIAHTECTESVEIBIECSETR

Find me on:Facebook / Twitter
    (Send me a message saying you are from MC)

• Animation Domination

How close is Splash Mountain from Haunted Mansion?

• Minion

Agreed on the storage rooms/maintenence area for the stretching rooms. Data can probably provide better details. I do remember a picture of people being up on the second and in the real attic of the HM so there is access to those areas up through the Mansion. Also, if you look behind the HM from the extended queue, you can see a door into the Mansion on the backside, I imagine that leads to a staircase that goes down to the portrait hall.

• =)

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMousePal View Post
    How close is Splash Mountain from Haunted Mansion?
    The answer is complex. The closest the Doombuggy track ever comes to the Splash Mountain flume is 75 feet (80 if you take height differences into account), corresponding to the spot where you see the caretaker in the graveyard and to the turn before the short drop in "How Do You Do."

The closest the two facilities themselves actually come to each other is about thirteen feet, at the north corner of the HM show building.

EDIT: And regarding access to the upper floors of the facade - I'm told there's a staircase in the break room. What I'm very confused about, however, is roof access. CMs don't normally go up there these days, but there are people who have - even at least one MCer - and I really can't figure out how. I can't see any sort of roof hatch in the aerial photos on maps.live.com, and my blueprints are mum on the issue. Might be inside the cupola. Not sure.
    Last edited by Datameister; 10-30-2008 at 09:31 PM.

• Geoff London

Aerial view:
    Now I'll turn that little mouse's dream into a nightmare Fantasmic !

• =)

The Live Search Maps images of Disneyland are better overall than the Google images. Better resolution, less shadows, no watermarks. Check it out. Don't forget to check out the "Bird's Eye" photos, too - they tend to have even higher resolution, and the fact that they're taken at an angle makes it possible to see the sides of the buildings.

The Google photos are more recent, but the differences are few. New roof elements on a few buildings, the subs being finished, and TSMM under construction. There are also areas where it can be helpful to compare the Live Search Maps photos to help you understand what you're looking at, but if I had to choose just one site for Disneyland aerials, picking Live Search Maps would be one of the easiest decisions I've ever made.
    Last edited by Datameister; 10-31-2008 at 07:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    The Live Search Maps images of Disneyland are better overall than the Google images. Better resolution, less shadows, no watermarks. Check it out. Don't forget to check out the "Bird's Eye" photos, too - they tend to have even higher resolution, and the fact that they're taken at an angle makes it possible to see the sides of the buildings.

The Google photos are more recent, but the differences are few. New roof elements on a few buildings, the subs being finished, and TSMM under construction. There are also areas where it can be helpful to compare the Live Search Maps photos to help you understand what you're looking at, but if I had to choose just one site for Disneyland aerials, picking Live Search Maps would be one of the easiest decisions I've ever made.
    I use Live Maps most of the time now too and only check Google Maps now and then.

However, Google is starting to capture new higher resolution images!

• back in Austin

Yeah, i like the bird's eye photos of DL. Here's one for the HM:

Haunted Mansion

Yeah, as far as I know, it's really just an empty facade.

This Wiki page has some good stuff tho.

Haunted Mansion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

• back in Austin

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
    I use Live Maps most of the time now too and only check Google Maps now and then.

However, Google is starting to capture new higher resolution images!
    I was just gonna ask if this meant we'd finally get an updated aerial view of DL, but I can see that at least a newer image is being presented. Up until fairly recently, the photos showed Space Mountain being repainted white. Don't know if this newer view is higher res or not...

One thing's for sure, they've got the Disneyland Hotel labeled as being on Main Street!

• 'Sleeping Beauty'

I've heard the top tower is a crawl space where cast members are known to graffiti on the walls! aha
    Last edited by AshleyJaded; 10-31-2008 at 04:02 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast