Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Red Face Country Bears and Pooh Revisited

While visiting the WDW forums I read that Bear Country reopened after a refurb job. My first thought was "if only" thinking about how Bear Country became Critter Country, and how Pooh replaced my beloved bears. After all these years I still find myself singing "The bear band's gonna play now, in the good old key of G................................................. ......

Now if there was a way to bring the Pooh adventure from WDW which is very well done, (unlike Disneyland) and find a place for the Bears in DCA (National Parks Area has been suggested on a post from the dim historic past) we could have the best of both worlds.
    Last edited by AhpalovestheDuck; 11-02-2008 at 08:45 PM. Reason: spelling

Re: Country Bears and Pooh Revisited

Replacing the Country Bear Jamboree/Vacation Hoedown/Holiday Special with that piece of garbage Pooh attraction was an enormous blunder. If you're gonna replace an iconic attraction, then by God it better be, well...better! Like Journey Through Inner Space with Star Tours, or Carousel of Progress with America Sings. Even Big Thunder Mountain Railroad improved on Nature's Wonderland. I understand progress, but this one was a bone headed waste of money. Adding a Country Bear Playhouse to DCA near Grizzly River Rapids would be a strengthening of that area, and a stroke of genius. I'm afraid the 'Powers that be' would never admit to such a mistake and remove Pooh to return the Country Bears at their original location.

• Walt Disney Fan

I think there was a thread on this kinda simillar.
    It was about the Brother Bear Show back in that play area by Grizzly River Rapids.

The idea was that we replace the Brother Bear show with the bears. Perfect theme, great place, and the best of both worlds for you.
    "To All Who Come To This Happy Place Welcome" - Walt Disney

The play area near Grizzly River Run is the perfect size for a Country Bear Theater. And it fits the theme perfectly, of course.

Maybe they could theme it to a bear cave - Bear Cave Theater - and also have the area around the theater walkable, with some outdoor AA's in and around the cave.

As for Pooh, if we could get the "real" version of that ride, I'd be less bummed that it replace CBJ.

• "I Break Things"

The thought has been kicked around a lot. The main point of the previous thread was to ask if Country Bears, with it's antiquated technology, would hold the same appeal with a modern audience. The secondary part was to question if the death of the show had more to do with a large theater (two of them actually), and less to do with a lack of appeal. In short; would a new, much smaller show hold the attention and appeal in a modern society? Or was the failure due to the content of the show and not the cost of running a show that size.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• A Weather Eye Open

i believed al lutz once wrote that adding the country bears in some form (was it a dark ride form?) to the GRR area was discussed, but that the design of the GRR ride is such that there's not enough room by the mountain for any other kind of attraction. the details are a bit hazy and i'm too lazy to go back and look it up, anyone else remember him mentioning that?
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by twobluestripes View Post
    i believed al lutz once wrote that adding the country bears in some form (was it a dark ride form?) to the GRR area was discussed, but that the design of the GRR ride is such that there's not enough room by the mountain for any other kind of attraction. the details are a bit hazy and i'm too lazy to go back and look it up, anyone else remember him mentioning that?
    There was discussion of possibly adding a train style attraction to GRR similar to the old Mine Train. There was also talk of adding a CBJ style theater in the side. Both were scrapped apparently because of questions about the structural integrity of the mountain, and the lack of usable space within it. The reason cited was that it was "built on the cheap" and the cost of any additions would also require costly reinforcement and change to the overall structure.

That is the main reason many have proposed adding the CBJ to the current Redwood Creek. Personally I like Redwood but I feel the Brother Bear show is forgotten and overlooked. I think a smaller version of the old CBJ show would work well and serve to reinforce the mountain theme.

• A Weather Eye Open

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    There was discussion of possibly adding a train style attraction to GRR similar to the old Mine Train. There was also talk of adding a CBJ style theater in the side. Both were scrapped apparently because of questions about the structural integrity of the mountain, and the lack of usable space within it. The reason cited was that it was "built on the cheap" and the cost of any additions would also require costly reinforcement and change to the overall structure.

That is the main reason many have proposed adding the CBJ to the current Redwood Creek. Personally I like Redwood but I feel the Brother Bear show is forgotten and overlooked. I think a smaller version of the old CBJ show would work well and serve to reinforce the mountain theme.
    agreed! thanks for the memory jog.
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

• Exec Asst to Captain E.O.

Quote Originally Posted by Goof@Heart View Post
    Replacing the Country Bear Jamboree/Vacation Hoedown/Holiday Special with that piece of garbage Pooh attraction was an enormous blunder. If you're gonna replace an iconic attraction, then by God it better be, well...better! Like Journey Through Inner Space with Star Tours, or Carousel of Progress with America Sings. Even Big Thunder Mountain Railroad improved on Nature's Wonderland. I understand progress, but this one was a bone headed waste of money. Adding a Country Bear Playhouse to DCA near Grizzly River Rapids would be a strengthening of that area, and a stroke of genius. I'm afraid the 'Powers that be' would never admit to such a mistake and remove Pooh to return the Country Bears at their original location.
    I agree that the Pooh attraction at DL is a piece of crap, especially compared to the amazing Pooh attraction built in Tokyo - but in all honesty, Pooh DOES fit the theme of Critter Country (hey, at least it wasn't a Brother Bear tie-in!), and even though I LOVED the Country Bears, the technology was dated, the songs old, and the crowds were ... non existant. Are AA shows really dead? I don't think so ... despite the removal of Country Bears, Carrousel of Progress/America Sings, Lincoln, and not building TL 2055's Galaxy Revue ... I don't think so. If the Country Bears were brought back with the latest AA technology, it could be a success.

However, I am NOT for the idea of ripping out Pooh and putting the Bears back in, during the same time that we MAY see a restoration of the Rocket Jets and PeopleMover ... Disneyland is NOT a museum, and that just caters to the ovetly American idea that if we whine loud enough, we'll get our way.

My opinions ... we lost out. It sucks, but let's move on. And get something BETTER, but not revert back to the old.

In addition, it is true that Grizzly Peak was built on the cheap and lacks structural integrity ... unlike Big Thunder or Splash, Grizzly Peak is not an actual "structure" ... it's a big earthen mound of dirt. If it had been constructed as an actual structure rather than a glorified hill, we would have oh so many more options with it!

• Yeah.....

^ Hmmm interesting, I never knew that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Didymus View Post
    ^ Hmmm interesting, I never knew that.
    Yeah, it's sad! If you go back and find some old construction pics of DCA from 1999-2001, you'll see it's always just one big piece of dirt ... I believe it was built using the dirt excavated for the Lagoon, but I can't confirm that.

Here are a couple low-res shots of construction of DCA. Sorry, I don't know who to credit.

• "I Break Things"

I know the weight of the dirt was used by the contractors to compact the soil prior to construction... but I am not 100% certain that it was constructed in the manner described. Others who are trained on that location or familiar with it's construction would have more information on the subject. Either way, true or not, I would be interested in an answer.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Suspended

Well pooh doesn't fit in critter country. And we've had that conversation ad naseaum.

My opinions ... we lost out. It sucks, but let's move on. And get something BETTER, but not revert back to the old.
    So lets get something better - A show back in that area would be the perfect thing, where you can sit down and rest a spell. And how about some american bears, instead of a whiney little british bear. DL really does need a new AA show, and I'm sure they improved on those since Pirates and HM were built. You could even set it up with Bears doing a show- give them each a personality. They could be all over the place, even come down on a swing from the ceiling. Make it all rustic. Oh, and how about some permanent audience members, some other American critters that talk to each other throughout the show, Add some music, And you'd have a regular good ol' time! Kids of all ages could enjoy it together. And make it comfortable to enjoy all times of the year, to get out of the heat in the summer and out of the cold in the winter, and keep you dry when it rain. That would definitely be an improvement over what's in there now. And it's definitely light years ahead technologywise compared to what's in there now. In fact, they could probably condense what is in the pooh ride, into 1/3 the space it occupies now, and move over the mini ride in place of the idiotic Brother Bear Show over at DCA-Land. Hey, just turn all of Redwood Creek into 100 Acre Woods.
    Last edited by Aladdin; 11-02-2008 at 12:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    Well pooh doesn't fit in critter country. And we've had that conversation ad naseaum.

So lets get something better - A show back in that area would be the perfect thing, where you can sit down and rest a spell. And how about some american bears, instead of a whiney little british bear. DL really does need a new AA show, and I'm sure they improved on those since Pirates and HM were built. You could even set it up with Bears doing a show- give them each a personality. They could be all over the place, even come down on a swing from the ceiling. Make it all rustic. Oh, and how about some permanent audience members, some other American critters that talk to each other throughout the show, Add some music, And you'd have a regular good ol' time! Kids of all ages could enjoy it together. And make it comfortable to enjoy all times of the year, to get out of the heat in the summer and out of the cold in the winter, and keep you dry when it rain. That would definitely be an improvement over what's in there now. And it's definitely light years ahead technologywise compared to what's in there now. In fact, they could probably condense what is in the pooh ride, into 1/3 the space it occupies now, and move over the mini ride in place of the idiotic Brother Bear Show over at DCA-Land. Hey, just turn all of Redwood Creek into 100 Acre Woods.
    Logic = overated.

Pooh fitting in/not fitting in, is our opinions. However, a Tokyo version of Pooh would indeed be something better than what we got ... but alas, we are stuck with this one. Just because something was old and popular to some (but not attendance figure wise) doesn't mean it was "better" or not. So to that end, reverting to a "Bear" show using "rustic, American bears" (maybe a Toby Keith bear wrapped in red,white,and blue while we're at it), would go back to my previous point of turning Disneyland into a museum. I think the Imagineers could come up something mind-blowing, that is a bit better than a rustic bear show with a swinging bear that just harkins back to a popular 1970's attraction.

Alas, I'm not familiar with "DCA-Land" but at DCA, I wouldn't eventually mind seeing a reworked, hi-tech version of CBJ being built ... but toying with the idea that they'll rip out Pooh in Disneyland to build Pooh again in DCA and then re-add the CBJ in Disneyland ... that's just alot of waster money overall that could be used for some signifcant improvements otherwise.

Also, I don't think Pooh is "whiney." He just need more huney!

In addition, I think any indoor attraction/queue/restaurant/shop/restroom/first aid office/city hall would keep us "cool in the hot summer and warm in the cold winter." Seriously, we're in Orange County ... not Arizona or the North Pole.

If your big draw to theme parks is a place to rest your feet and sit down, I think you're on the wrong side of the Resort Plaza!

ECV's can also be rented at the main entrance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast