Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

• Walt Disney Fan

Indiana Jones Ride Three Doors

Okay I have never understanded when you enter the three doors where all the cars combine.
    It always seems like I'm going in the same direction no matter which door I enter and I never see more than 1 exit when you get out of that small section where you first see Indy holding the door.

I have entered all three doors and it seems the same

Does anybody know how they do it if anybody understands what I am trying to say?
    "To All Who Come To This Happy Place Welcome" - Walt Disney

• Banned User

Disneyland, I Go So Much Might As Well Live There!
    Blog Entries

Re: Indiana Jones Ride Three Doors

The doors are on a turn table and it rotates after each time.

• =)

BurtGummer will probably explain it more eloquently than I, but...

There is only one real door, with one real Hall of Promise on the other side. You always go through this door, no matter what. There are also four fake doors - two on either side of the real one. The walls in the Chamber of Destiny (where the doors are) move. Depending on their position, you either see one fake door on each side of the real one, or two fake doors on one side and none on the other. Two fake doors are always hidden, so you only see three - one real, two fake. For example, if the walls move all the way to the left, you can see two fake doors to the left of the real one and none to the right. You appear to be going through the door on the right, although you're actually going through the center, as always. The narration, music, and lighting effects change depending on which door you supposedly go through, too, which helps the illusion along.

Next time you ride, turn around after going through the doors. You may get to see the room start to move. Also check out this video - I think it shows the process, though I can't really remember.

Hope that made sense! If not, don't feel bad...it's a confusing mechanism, but highly effective.

• DCA FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan - Tasmic! View Post
    The doors are on a turn table and it rotates after each time.
    What he said^^

It just slightly changes the beginning ( with different effects and what not) of the ride but the rest is mostly all the same.
    Everybody's got a laughin' place-
    trouble is most folks won't take the time to go look for it.

• Senior Minion

The turntable has not been working for a while, at least as of the Thursday before last, it was still not working, and it hadn't been for a while before that.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• =)

Keep in mind the doors themselves don't move. They're not on a turntable. I think you had the idea, Dantasmic, but we gotta be clear - the doors themselves are stationary. The Mara panels above them do move with the room, however, to change the look of the doors.

• Banned User

Disneyland, I Go So Much Might As Well Live There!
    Blog Entries

Anyone have that animated files of how the doors work??? I had it, but can't seem to find it. When I do, I will post it.

• Down Pluto!

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    Keep in mind the doors themselves don't move. They're not on a turntable. I think you had the idea, Dantasmic, but we gotta be clear - the doors themselves are stationary. The Mara panels above them do move with the room, however, to change the look of the doors.

BING BING BING! We have a winner!

This is exactly what happens. The "room" however doesn't move. The panels above the door move. It is however, the same room every time. The change in the room is done with lighting, scrims and projections.

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• =)

Quote Originally Posted by Sambo View Post
    The "room" however doesn't move. The panels above the door move. It is however, the same room every time. The change in the room is done with lighting, scrims and projections.
    Careful about the word "room" - there are two rooms involved in the change (Chamber of Destiny & Hall of Promise), and enough of the former moves for it to be understandable to refer to it as the room moving...in casual speech. As long as we all understand that the two side walls, some of the "ceiling" elements, and the panels above the doors are all that move...I think we'll be okay.

omg wait. The Yeti is on a track? what?

• Nill

Warning: Spoilers and potentially mind boggling explanations follow.

Pretty much everyone who posted before me is right, but I'll clarify .

There are 5 doors, one real, 4 fake. There are 2 fake on either side of the real door. The effect works by changing the relative position of the real door. The actual path you follow is always the same, no matter what door it looks like you are going through. The hall of promise you enter after you go through the door is lit differently to make it seem like a completely different hall all together, when in reality, its the same. Scrims are used for the paintings on either side. If you don't know what a scrim is, heres a somewhat simple explanation. A scrim is just like any screen or mesh that you might have on your windows at home. When a light is shone on that screen and you are on the same side as the light source, then you will see the surface of the screen much better then what is behind it. If an abject is being lit from behind the screen, on the opposite side that you are viewing it from, you will see the object easier, and not the screen. In the hall of promise, these screens are very large, and are painted with pictures of theming for a "fountain of youth". Behind them, on actual walls, are sculptures and murals which are lit up for the "earthly riches" choice. For the "visions of the future" choice, neither the screen or wall behind it is lit up, it is just simply dark, and your attention is directed directly above you into a sky full of stars. The haunted mansion also uses scrims/screens in the stretching rooms. The cieling is one giant scrim, and when lit on your side you see what is painted on it.

Now onto the chamber of destiny.....

The whole room rotates as one piece, around one central axis point which is above you when you first enter the chamber of destiny. The walls, ceiling, and mara headers all move as this one piece. The room is rotated by some sort of mechanism which has a chain somewhere in its drive system, because it is easily audible when the room rotates after passing through the doors. If you happen to go through the "middle door/gold" door (the same track...), then look behind you as you go through the doors. Providing the effect is working (which it was yesterday), you will see the room rotates, and you will hear the chain mechanism. Its rather loud, but most people associate the noise with the soundtrack, haha.

Heres a diagram from my model editing program. It show a top view of the chamber of destiny, and the vehicles move from the right to the left in this screenshot, along the horizontal purple line. The slanted red lines above and below the purple line are the walls, which rotated around the circle on the right side of the screen shot. That is the pivot point for the room.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2611122...83557/sizes/l/

For a more visual demonstration, take a look at these videos.

Here is just the Chamber of Destiny. It also as the same rotation sequence as the ride, sending two transports through the "left door", one through the "middle", 2 through the "right", one through the "middle" and so on.

YouTube - Chamber of Destiny - The effect revealed

Heres a video of the whole ride as I have made in my model. You don't have to wtach the whole thing, but you can see what it would would like if you looked behind you after going through the "middle door".

YouTube - Indiana Jones Adventure - CS:S Version (Updated)

Sorry there isn't any lighting, it was just a quick render I made so the effect could be easily seen. In fact, I recently did ALOT of work on the Hall of Promise, and it actually looks different according to the different ride programs. I'll try and get a video up later tonight of it.

Also, you might say something about the gap that is made between the rotating wall and the real wall near the entrance of the chamber of destiny. Well, that large gap is really there in the ride, but it is covered up by some doors which also rotate with the room. They make it look less obvious, and it works well too. If that made no sense, which is entirely possible, just dismiss it for now, haha.

• Down Pluto!

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    Careful about the word "room" - there are two rooms involved in the change (Chamber of Destiny & Hall of Promise), and enough of the former moves for it to be understandable to refer to it as the room moving...in casual speech. As long as we all understand that the two side walls, some of the "ceiling" elements, and the panels above the doors are all that move...I think we'll be okay.
    I don't believe the two side "walls" move. Maybe elements on the walls and ceiling - inside the enclosed space we commonly refer to as a room. There is but one room. One tracked path through it. You must prove otherwise to me, as it runs counter to the technical info I have seen as well as first-hand observation.

Maybe we are saying the same thing with different words.

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• =)

Quote Originally Posted by Sambo View Post
    I don't believe the two side "walls" move. Maybe elements on the walls and ceiling - inside the enclosed space we commonly refer to as a room. There is but one room. One tracked path through it. You must prove otherwise to me, as it runs counter to the technical info I have seen as well as first-hand observation.

Maybe we are saying the same thing with different words.
    I'm talking about the walls you see on your right and left in the Chamber of Destiny, the ones that most certainly do move - they're the heart and soul of the effect. Yes, technically, the room is really larger than that, since there are stationary walls beyond that you can't see. But I think most people would be comfortable referring to the space between the two moving walls as a room.

• He Gets The Job Done

Blog Entries

• We Go On.

^^^ To Sambo, the walls do move, otherwise you would be able to see all five doors. believe me, I've been through the Chamber of Destiny (or Hall of Promise?) when none of the panels light up, so you would be able to tell the effect.

Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast