Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• The Yodelin' Cowgirl

Blog Entries

Re: Most emotional aspects of Disneyland

This might sound strange, but my first ride on Space Mountain of a trip always gets to me. I get overwhelmed with a crazy happy content feeling! I think it's because it's the first indication that I'm actually in Disneyland (since for as long as I can remember it's usually the first ride we go on the first morning of a DL trip).

Other than that the usuals: Parades, Fantasmic (esp: the princess part & the end), the fireworks (esp: the beginning part of Remember with the characters all telling their wishes & LeAnn Rimes after the fireworks). The worst one though is always the snow after the firework during the holidays. It always gets to me especailly that version of White Christmas. That is the only time I let myself openly/visibly cry in the park

I generally don't get "emotional" (i.e. lump in the throat, teary) when I'm happy, I just feel positive and relatively carefree. If I'm really happy about something, I can get quite excited, but never emotional--that only happens on very sad occasions. Most of the time, I'm kind of overly logical.

That said, in addition to all of the great vicarious experiences already mentioned, there's something about seeing Cast Members going above and beyond the call of duty to make sure that a guest is accommodated or just to make their day more magical in some way that gives me a little bit more hope about humanity in general. It means they get what Disneyland is all about, as it was conceived, and they care about their crucial role in making the park what it is.

As for non-vicarious experiences that give me a sense of joy, there's really too much to mention, but in particular the sight and sound of a train of the Disneyland Railroad arriving, accompanied by the charmingly fake echo of the announcement, always manages to evoke the memory of the very first thing that I ever did at Disneyland (I would have been five years old at the time), besides walking through the entrance tunnel, which is pretty high up there, too. And then there's flying over and around the volcano in Peter Pan's Flight, which never fails to instill a sense of wonder despite the age and quaintness of this attraction. Next, for some indefinable reason, riding on the Mark Twain just makes me happy. Maybe it's the combination of the name of the boat and all that conjures up, the sense of passing through a frontier town and New Orleans on my way to the wilderness, and the sense of utter isolation from modern civilization while still outdoors that follows. To some it's just a boring boat ride, but in its own subtle way it tells a story, and that's why Walt shelled out some of his own money to get his park a classic riverboat (as well as the trains, for that matter). And finally there's the Haunted Mansion. Need I say more?

I would have said Pirates of the Caribbean, but sadly it just doesn't feel the same now with all of the recent changes. I'm extremely disappointed that the awful movie franchise of the same name was so successful at the box office. Sorry to end on a downer, but I thought it deserved a mention.

• =)

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Cook View Post
    I generally don't get "emotional" (i.e. lump in the throat, teary) when I'm happy, I just feel positive and relatively carefree. If I'm really happy about something, I can get quite excited, but never emotional--that only happens on very sad occasions. Most of the time, I'm kind of overly logical.
    You sound like me. I have plenty of emotions, but they don't manifest themselves uncontrollably too often.

I would have said Pirates of the Caribbean, but sadly it just doesn't feel the same now with all of the recent changes. I'm extremely disappointed that the awful movie franchise of the same name was so successful at the box office.
    I agree that Pirates was better before the refurb, and I agree that the second and third films were huge disappointments, but the first one was actually one of the most thoroughly enjoyable moviegoing experiences I've had. I felt like it had all the right blends - ride references and originality, humor and seriousness, action and plot development, realistic elements and supernatural ones, etc. It was the sequels that really frustrated me...it became so commercial, with barely any connection to the ride, and lame attempts at humor, and too much supernatural stuff, and confusing plots, and characters who behaved entirely differently than they originally did. Did you find the the first one to be as atrocious as its sequels?

• Mrs. J. Depp

Even though I have seen the Parade of Dreams very many times, every time I hear "For all who come to this happy place....welcome" I get completely teary eyed. Same with the end of Fantasmic when I see the Mark Twain with all the characters and Steam Boat Willie, it makes me melt a little bit. I get goosebumps when I see the fireworks because they are just so darn cool. Thank you Disney, job well done.

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

The ending of Fantasmic, when the characters are on the Steam Boat, and there dancing to the music. Also, the beg. music of the Electrical Parade. I don't cry but theres a lot of emotion in me!
    I WANT DL 2 BE MY PERMANENT HOME!
    1 DAY...EVEN IF I BECOME A TEACHER...I WOULD LIKE TO WORK AT DL & HOPEFULLY BE ONE OF THE CHARACTERS TO PERFORM DURING FANTASMIC!

• Honorary Mermaid.

I'm not gonna lie, Fantasmic makes me cry tears of joy.
    Even when I'm just listening to it on my iPod, tehe.

• =)

Quote Originally Posted by Kuzcochik View Post
    This might sound strange, but my first ride on Space Mountain of a trip always gets to me. I get overwhelmed with a crazy happy content feeling! I think it's because it's the first indication that I'm actually in Disneyland (since for as long as I can remember it's usually the first ride we go on the first morning of a DL trip).
    That doesn't sound strange at all. While Space Mountain doesn't make me tear up or anything - with the exception of the effects of all that wind in my face - I definitely feel some very strong emotions, particularly on the first ride of a trip. And it is often my very first ride in the park for the whole day. Michael Giacchino's fabulous soundtrack is so freaking awe-inspiring in the lift hills, building up to that wonderful first view of "space", and then the coaster portion itself does not disappoint. I'm smiling just thinking about it. Kudos to WDI for respectfully, smartly, effectively touching up a classic that the original Imagineers also deserve major kudos for. (That's not to say that I think the overhaul was perfect, or that I don't miss the original...but on the whole, I'm very pleased with what they did.)

• KC to DL= 1,640 miles

Goin' to Kansas City. Kansas City Here I Come

Quote Originally Posted by Goover View Post
    LeAnn Rimes - Remember When after the fireworks

*sob sob*
    Good one! Forgot about that one.

Fantasmic also does it for me. The fire station/ Walt's apartment is an emotional place for me at DL.
    "C:\Documents and Settings\martinla\My Documents\My Pictures\WINDVD Capture\cap014.jpg"
    Home away from Home.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Being there with your young kids. Nothing comes close for me.

• Following the Second Star

Remember When/Wishes after the fireworks. Remember When to me shows what Disneyland is about. I don't know how really to describe it, but it just does. Wishes is the same way, but I also have personal things with that song that make it so emotional.

Cammie Dog: 3/27/05-6/28/09 God took you way too soon Protect your dog from heat stroke. It attacks and kills quickly.

• MC, this is LD

I have lots of emotional experiences at Disneyland.

First off, I always get teary-eyed when walking into the park for the first time of the first day. Does this have any correlation to the fact that I just awoke from a 7 hour car ride? Maybe...

Whenever I hear Walt's dedication in RDCT, I get that lump in my throat. It is so perfectly written in. It also hits a heart string how my role model's voice is being played to me, although I never had the pleasure of meeting him

The last time I get emotional at Disneyland is walking down Main Street for the last time of the trip, knowing that I took my week for granted... It also doesn't help that my 2 yo brother (at time of last trip) is stumbling backwards, waving, saying "Bye Mickey", "Bye Minnie", "Bye [insert character]" and finally ending with "Bye Disneyland" as we exit the gate.
    Last edited by KAN; 11-05-2008 at 10:40 PM. Reason: Bad placing on my part for leaving out "brother"...

• =)

Quote Originally Posted by KAN View Post
    Whenever I hear Walt's dedication in RDCT, I get that lump in my throat. It is so perfectly written in.

I know exactly what you mean. Last time it came up in shuffle, I had to rewind and listen to that bit again. With the music and everything...oh, it's just perfect. Totally respectful. Pulls more'n a few heartstrings.

It also doesn't help that my 2 yo (at time of last trip) is stumbling backwards, waving, saying "Bye Mickey", "Bye Minnie", "Bye [insert character]" and finally ending with "Bye Disneyland" as we exit the gate.

Wait...you have a 2-year-old? Aren't you in high school?

• MC, this is LD

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    Wait...you have a 2-year-old? Aren't you in high school?
    Oops! Really bad place to forget to type brother!

That would be kinda gross...

Oh well, fixed it! I am tired...

What's even weirder is that actually could fit the context... [shudders]

Yea---no.

I get weepy when I hear the music for the Main Street Electrical Parade, but nothing makes me happier than the yodeling at the Matterhorn!

• =)

That's what I was hoping you meant, KAN.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast