Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Most emotional aspects of Disneyland

The Jungle Cruise because it always will remind of my Father, because lameish but sorta funny jokes, and boats just describe him perfectly. i always get a "hes here" feeling on that ride.

Sometimes the thought that Walt never got to see POTC complete makes me a little sad while riding it

BUT The music from the carnival in the Pinocchio ride give me the INSANE emotion...OH NO!
    It Means No Worries, For The Rest Of Our Lives!

in my opinion, the most emotional aspect to me is listening to the song "Remember When" after the fireworks. It always puts a tear to my eye when i listen to it on youtube, but at the park, it just gives me a special feeling

• Off to Neverland

Quote Originally Posted by kristibaer View Post
    For me Fantasmic and fireowrks gives me a lump in my throat
    yeah...me too!

• Ready for takeoff

I have different emptions when I go. The happiest moments for me are seeing my kids have so much fun at the park. It is fun to see things through their eyes.

One of my most emotional moments is when I see the blinking blue lights on Soarin Over California because I know I am on my favorite ride and it is about to start.

My kids also do that thing where they say goodbye to everything as we are leaving. That makes me quite sad that the trip is just about over.

• would rather be on the HM

Going down Mainstreet is a huge thing for me. Getting on my first ride of the day (which is 100% of the time PotC) is sooo exciting.

And the Peter Pan ride always gets me sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    You sound like me. I have plenty of emotions, but they don't manifest themselves uncontrollably too often.
    From what I've seen, you're a natural linguist, too. I'd say that while we certainly have different opinions on some things, we most likely have the same basic type of personality, broadly speaking. I mean no offense, by the way, although I'm sure that there are those who would consider what I just said a grievous personal insult.

I agree that Pirates was better before the refurb, and I agree that the second and third films were huge disappointments, but the first one was actually one of the most thoroughly enjoyable moviegoing experiences I've had. I felt like it had all the right blends - ride references and originality, humor and seriousness, action and plot development, realistic elements and supernatural ones, etc. It was the sequels that really frustrated me...it became so commercial, with barely any connection to the ride, and lame attempts at humor, and too much supernatural stuff, and confusing plots, and characters who behaved entirely differently than they originally did. Did you find the the first one to be as atrocious as its sequels?
    Honestly, no, the first movie was not nearly as atrocious as the sequels. I did enjoy watching it for the most part, in and of itself, but thought that the ride references were shoehorned into a movie that had little in common with the ride thematically (and aesthetically for that matter). Unfortunately, my greatest fears came true, and the "retro-shoehorning" of out-of-place elements from the movie into the ride was far worse. It's not that I'm a stickler for purity in derivative works at all, but when they can directly affect one another as in this case, special care must be taken to respect the integrity of the original. Clearly, this concept has no meaning to those who worked on the movie as well as the updates to the ride. Sadly for me, I just don't like riding PotC anymore because there is no good reason to subject myself to disappointment; I might ride occasionally to enjoy what's left of the attraction, though. If others love the movies and the updates, then I guess it's not all bad, but selfishly speaking, one of my favorite attractions has been clumsily butchered. In WDI-speak, I suppose that it has been "minused" in a major way.

Back to the first movie, its main weaknesses were that it dragged to the point of boredom at times, which is at least partly an editing issue, and it had one of those obligatory heroine characters that are always utterly unconvincing and serve no real purpose other than being a cynical, lazy means of drawing in a segment of the audience with the fad of the day. Aside from that, the movie was fun and did have a good overall blend of cinematic elements. I actually like Jack Sparrow and find him very entertaining, but he and all of the other characters do NOT belong in the ride. As for the sequels, they're just awful movies--in my opinion, they're not worth my time to critique nor anyone else's time to read about. I agree with your assessment of them.

Quote Originally Posted by monicaduy View Post
    The ending of Fantasmic, when the characters are on the Steam Boat, and there dancing to the music.
    I like that part a lot although I don't get emotional about it. However, I've seen people around me actually crying sometimes, and I hear all the time about how emotional it makes people. That just feels so heartening in a strange way (for me). While I think it's plenty clear that I don't generally fish for agreement or approval of what I think, being caught up in such a moment of togetherness with so many people is a very special experience. The whole thing is about the closest secular equivalent of a rapture to which I've ever been a witness. If you think about it, it's like all those demons reveling in the "Night on Bald Mountain" sequence of Fantasia, appropriately enough, except that we're on the side of good (I hope!).

• Banned User

The finale of Remember and the version of Wishes at the end of it always get me.

• You didn't see anything!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stitchon View Post
    The finale of Remember and the version of Wishes at the end of it always get me.
    This for me also, and the little break inbetween Pirates and the Frontierland montage.

Ride wise, Haunted Mansion gets to me just because it brings back memories of my father (it was his favorite ride). I think that's the reason it's my favorite ride now. Whenever we would go into the hallway with the changing portraits, he would lift me up so I can take a closer look and then tell me a story (which I knew it was made up, but my dad had a great imagination) of what each portrait was. I loved it. Then when we went through the mansion and into the graveyard, he would sing and silently clap along to the music and so would I. I get teary eyed sometimes when I ride it by myself, because I know he's probably one of those Happy Haunts, having the time of his afterlife.

• =)

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Cook View Post
    From what I've seen, you're a natural linguist, too. I'd say that while we certainly have different opinions on some things, we most likely have the same basic type of personality, broadly speaking. I mean no offense, by the way, although I'm sure that there are those who would consider what I just said a grievous personal insult.
    Haha, well, I don't know you, of course, but as far as I can tell from how you present yourself online, I'd consider that a compliment. And as for the POTC thing, it sounds to me like we mostly agree, except I had the good fortune not to be bored by the pacing of the film, and I thought Elizabeth's character worked well enough in the damsel-in-distress role. (Not that my generally positive feelings toward the character lasted in the sequels... )

I will say that at least Dead Man's Chest introduced what must be the most convincing CGI character to date. That doesn't make it a great film or even a good one, but I can't deny how flipping impressed I am by the work that went into bringing Davy Jones to life. In most - not quite all, but most - shots, he really feels to me like a living being who was on the set as an actor...an actor who just happened to not quite be human.

But we're digressing majorly. Another thing that tends to get me a bit more "emotional" in the park is nighttime. Since the majority of my trips to the park have been full single days, I tend to afix certain emotions and feelings to certain times of day when I'm at Disneyland. The morning is full of eagerness and delight about what's to come, with a sense of freedom because of how much time is still left. Midday and early afternoon are typically the most energetic time of day in the park for me, with a lot of attractions and dining experiences and what have you. Afternoon and early evening bring a slight hint of melancholy, since the sun's steady departure is clear sign that the visit won't last forever.

But if I/we have handled the trip well, nighttime brings a renewed sense of excitement and peace. The lighting is pretty and different...the air is cooler...crowds sometimes die down a bit...a lot of wonderful experiences have happened over the last ten hours or so...there's less urgency because I've already hit most of the big attractions, and yet more urgency because there isn't much time left...it's a different feel from daytime, and I wouldn't venture to say it's outright better...but it's a nice change. And for some reason, all those sparkling lights tend to bring out all those fond memories of the past. Maybe it's because my first memory of Disneyland is a nighttime one.

Goodness, I can't wait to get back to the park...just two more weeks...

the things that always make me cry are:
    - fireworks
    - parades
    - fantasmic
    - tiki room
    - small world
    - walking through the left tunnel first thing in the morning

that's about it really.. and i'm planning a trip for a friend who hasn't been to DL in 12 years now.. oh am i gonna have fun with him! lol

• Vasooki-land Owner

I almost always almost cry during the fireworks, just because well, I dunno. Its just so nice.
    We are currently imagineeing a new attraction for you!

Please enjoy all the other attractions in fabulicious Vasooki-land!

• =)

Quote Originally Posted by ministrychick77 View Post
    walking through the left tunnel first thing in the morning
    Ewww, you're a lefty?

- Datameister, who usually enters through the right

• Vasooki-land Owner

Ewww, you're a lefty?

Is that facing the train station? I normally enter through the left facing the train station, so I guess I am a lefty as well. I just hate all the guests getting strollers and whatnot. :P
    We are currently imagineeing a new attraction for you!

Please enjoy all the other attractions in fabulicious Vasooki-land!

Ewww, you're a lefty?

Perhaps this issue should have its own poll.

As for me, I actually enter both at the same time. That's right, encountering the wavefront of Disney magic makes me exhibit my own wave properties, so I pass through both tunnels simultaneously, interfere with myself just a tad, and form a diffraction pattern on the other side, which really helps in seeing the whole park in one day. Obviously, this is precisely why the park has two entrance tunnels in the first place. When I leave, my particle properties return and I step onto the platform of the nearest universe and go home. Who says physics can't be fun?

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

The Main Street Electrical Parade. It's nice that you can see it at DCA, and seeing it there is a nice reminder of what it was like before.

But for me, sitting in front of the train station, watching the paraden headed down Main Street towaard me, then the lights go out and you hear the synthesizer...

That is the moment that often brought tears for me at Disneyland.

Of course, I'm not counting the weekly reaction after looking at my paycheck during my years there...

-- Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123