Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

When the basis for green-lighting something is "how cheaply can we get this done" instead of "how can we make this more entertaining"... yeah, I stick by my assertion.
    "Conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservative." - John Stuart Mill
    -
    "We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home." - Edward R. Murrow
    -
    "It's far easier to fight for your principles than it is to live up to them." - Adelai Stephenson
    -
    Reason for the Season? Tilt of the planet's axis. Oh, you meant the holiday season? That's easy - Feast of Saturnalia. Disagree? That's nice.

• DisneySea Dreamin'

Overlays and traditions

First off, I have to admit my extreme prejudice in favor of the subs. I grew up in SoCal, back when going to DL (even for locals) was a special occasion rather than a weekend time-filler. If my family ever lost track of me, they didn't need to go to the kiddy lost and found. They knew I would either be at the 20K exhibit or the subs. I never got tired of pretending I was exploring "the world of inner space." I have a framed full-size litho of the attraction in a prominent place in my home and have been known to listen to the soundtrack while driving around. Having said that, I have mixed feelings about its return. It did need an update (perhaps something like the DisneySea 20K ride, only wet) but I'm really not liking the current trend of DL/DCA/WDW park management to "refurbish" classic rides with Pixar or other currently popular films. It's very short-sited, and in the case of the Pixar properties a little mean-spirited in light of that soon-to-be-dissolved partnership (trying to squeeze $$$ out of a business arrangement that failed largely due to Eisner's hubris). I can't help but feel that the less tied to current trends and themes an attraction is, the more timeless it is. Look at what happened recently with the Stitch overlay of the generic Extra-Terror-estrial attraction at WDW: still too scary for the kiddies, apparantly. I rode it once and now wish I had been on it more. It was awesome!

One point that was made on another thread was that the new design will allow the ride to be updated and changed much easier, and for much less money. So, if you are a fan of the subs, this new update is good news regardless if you are a fan of Finding Nemo or not.

• the subs were cool maan

They should still have elements from the old ride, such as atlantis, mermaids, and those giant clams. You could work it out into the story. I was at the park (2/20/05) and they removed the barnacles from the loading station (where you would get on the sub, the first thing you saw were barnacles) so I wonder what they are planning....

Quote Originally Posted by Flint
    When the basis for green-lighting something is "how cheaply can we get this done" instead of "how can we make this more entertaining"... yeah, I stick by my assertion.
    Hey cool - I had no idea you were in those meetings!

What would you rather have? A big pool of nothing? Or a ride the guests can go on maybe, juuuuuust maybe - have fun? I can tell you now my kids will like it, so I am excited for the return of the subs.

uh let's keep this simple- the attraction was closed for the Atlantas Expedition, but that project was scrapped. The attraction had already been down for a considerible amount of time and it became just a pile of liquid trash. I want to focus specifically on the 5 year time frame where NOTHING was done to the attraction.

Remember there WAS testing done for a replacment. It's really nobody's fault the movie flopped.

• Original Mice-Chatter

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDude
    Hey cool - I had no idea you were in those meetings!

What would you rather have? A big pool of nothing? Or a ride the guests can go on maybe, juuuuuust maybe - have fun? I can tell you now my kids will like it, so I am excited for the return of the subs.

My kids are thrilled about it- they've seen video footage of the old attraction, but they are really excited about it coming back (I am off the wall excited...2007? I can wait..I think) and I know they will enjoy it.

The glass is half full for me....it's a shame people are so negative.

• Down Under without Nemo..

Quote Originally Posted by Nephythys
    The glass is half full for me....it's a shame people are so negative.
    Cas, Flint may have a point - I tend to look at the fact that Pooh, Tarzan's Treehouse, most of DCA, and even HTH have all been considered as average or lesser remakes or ideas - Disney's latest efforts have been considered less than optimal by a majority of Padders/Fabbers/Liners/Chatters/Clicquers up to now, however I will say this: let's wait and see.

I'm hoping they've been reading all the boards and are thinking along the lines of "We'll show them" - just like I'm sure they'll do with Expedition: Everest.

...Optimism? Maybe, but there's a little Mary Poppins in all of us, isn't there
    DLR California - 1991, 1999, 2002, 2007, 2009
    DLR Florida - 2002, 2007
    DLR Tokyo - 2005
    DLR Paris - 2011
    DLR Hong Kong -2011
    DLR Beijing -TBA

• Original Mice-Chatter

Quote Originally Posted by lashbear
    Cas, Flint may have a point - I tend to look at the fact that Pooh, Tarzan's Treehouse, most of DCA, and even HTH have all been considered as average or lesser remakes or ideas - Disney's latest efforts have been considered less than optimal by a majority of Padders/Fabbers/Liners/Chatters/Clicquers up to now, however I will say this: let's wait and see.

I'm hoping they've been reading all the boards and are thinking along the lines of "We'll show them" - just like I'm sure they'll do with Expedition: Everest.

...Optimism? Maybe, but there's a little Mary Poppins in all of us, isn't there

Sorry, I'm not giving Flint a point for saying it's going to be crappy. He wasn't in that sub to see the new effects and he was not in the meetings when they approved the budget. I have no desire to give credit to such outright pessimisim.

Those other attractions that you list occurred under the old regime- let's give this one more credit. They have already proven that they care more about DL than Pressler and Co did-

I am sorry to say I was never a Treehouse fan- I am not overly upset about Tarzan. I concede that Pooh could have been much better- especially after seeing WDW and I hear Tokyo is ever more stunning (seen the video too wow- wish I was going with you) and I like DCA LOL but I do see your point.

I think it is way too early to slam this as "crap" and I prefer a little Mary Poppins in my outlook.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Sleepless
    Remember there WAS testing done for a replacment. It's really nobody's fault the movie flopped.
    Well, nobody at DL.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Nephythys
    Sorry, I'm not giving Flint a point for saying it's going to be crappy. He wasn't in that sub to see the new effects and he was not in the meetings when they approved the budget. I have no desire to give credit to such outright pessimisim.

Those other attractions that you list occurred under the old regime- let's give this one more credit. They have already proven that they care more about DL than Pressler and Co did-

I am sorry to say I was never a Treehouse fan- I am not overly upset about Tarzan. I concede that Pooh could have been much better- especially after seeing WDW and I hear Tokyo is ever more stunning (seen the video too wow- wish I was going with you) and I like DCA LOL but I do see your point.

I think it is way too early to slam this as "crap" and I prefer a little Mary Poppins in my outlook.

EXACTLY!!! Even the pooh ride was done under the previous management. And if you read, Matt was very angry at how bad it was. So I am positive they will do something spectacular with this. If only they could get a sponsor and get someone as creative as lucas. If only this could be on par with Indiana Jones.

• That's Hawt

What's to say it won't be done on par with Indiana Jones? I think that the park should realize that they have a golden opportunity to begin bringing that section of the park of the life and if they know what is good for they park they will do a darn good job. I have the feeling CM Matt knows what the park needs in many respects so I think we should just wait and see.
    Quote Originally Posted by drunkmom
    this is my first buzzed post in the DMCA -- I'm really in this club because I'm a bitch more than anything. I've only had to hit the backspace 4 (oops, make that 5) times in (now 7) in this (now 9) (now 15) in this post! Damn, now I'm up to 18! Our neighbors were (19) (20) making tequilla sunrises. I thought I couldn't do tequilla (22) anymore but (24) this stuff (26) was good! It started (27) with an s

• Minion

I'm thinking maybe they should be wooing James Cameron for some creative input on what could be done with the attraction. He's a very creative visionary with a passion for things underwater. Anyone see his latest, Aliens of the Deep in IMAX?

• șoș Tom șoș

Two major reasons besides the phenominal cost of upkeep on the subs for shutting it down were the subs themselves and the tank.

1.) The subs had problems circulating the air and there were a multitude of complaints about creating claustaphobic conditions worse as the body heat rose.

2.) The tank developed a massive leak in the late 90 and in 2002 and 2003 divers were sent into repair the leak without draining the lagoon at cost of 5 million. At the time Disney was hoping the US. Navy would appreciate an exhibit on real submarines and there history in the ocean and support a refurb, but the Navy never took the bite.

The refurb will happen but you better pray kiddies that they do not bring back those original subs, while scouting for a lost guest back there I had the rare thrill of venturing into the sub docks beneath autopia, you have never seen more mold and mildew inside and on top of those submarines---sell them on ebay and pray the buyer has a lot of bleach.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12